Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #1

Headed to Yellowstone - Crazy Horse Yes or No

We are taking our first +2 week trip to Yellowstone late summer. I had taken a stop at Crazy Horse Memorial off the itinerary after looking at the website. Since have had several people tell me to definitely stop at Crazy Horse.

Any input from those who have been there would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, planning on driving through the Bad Lands National Park, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Little Big Horn Battlefield, staying in West Yellowstone for 6 nights, Coulter Bay RV Village in Grand Tetons 2 nights. So any information on those appreciated also.

Thanks in advance, this forum has been terrific!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #2

Go see it. I was there a couple of weeks ago and pleasantly surprised. The 20 - 30 minute movie of the history and the vision is amazing.
Mmwtdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

I was there last year, take a day when you have a few hours to spare.

So much to see and read about it is just not possible to see it all in a hour or two.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #4

This is just my .02....

I could see as much of Crazy Horse from the road leading up to the gate as I could once inside the gate.
If it was finished in my lifetime and I could walk out close to it I would consider a return trip.
For us, the best part of being at Crazy Horse that day was the B1 bomber fly over...

They were looking at Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #5

The movie is touching and they're doing it without any government funding.
GypsiesAtHeart2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #6

We did Mount Rushmore one night and Crazy Horse another night... Both are well worth the trip.. I'd recommend doing them both in the evenings to see the light shows..

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
Vietnam Veteran

In ,Custer, camp at Beaver Lake. Great Campground
Littlebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #8

Just there

It is well worth your time. Great museum and gift shop. Nice restaurant with good food and reasonable price.

Happy Trails, Forrest
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

Been there twice, first time was before they accidentally blew his finger which was pointing towards the horizon off, then after that event. I agree with the above post, stop on the road before you enter just as good a view as inside.
Brippley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #10

Been there three times since 1979. If you've never been there might be worth it. We passed it up last week because the only progress seems to be in the parking/visitors area. We went to Custer' Rushmore, Devil's Tower and then Yellowstone.
hobiekaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #11

hobiekaw, sounds like the same trip we are taking. If you have any don't miss things let me know. Thanks

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #12
H3N

Please go. As noted earlier, the movie is poignant and covers a side of American History specific to the area. There is a great museum, a nifty spot where one can look at the model with the sculpture in the rear of the line of vision so one can see what it will look like in comparison with the model.

Have been there three times: once in the early '60s when there were so few tourists that they let me press the button and watch the resulting blast in the distance; once in 1976 for a centennial tour of the West when the monument was a bit more apparent; and this past June when - if you'll excuse the pun- I was "blown" away by the progress that has been made in the monument itself as well as the infrastructure, the movie, the college, the museum, etc.

BTW - technically Uncle Sam supports money going into the project via the tax deduction component of the 501(c)(3) tax exempt nature of the organization, ie, when I make a donation to the organization, they receive my money and I get to write off the donation from my income on my Ferderal income taxes, thus paying fewer Tax dollars to the Feds while getting to support the non-profit organizations while having Uncle Sam pick up a portion of the tab. Good system if you ask me.

H3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #13

We went back out to Rushmore at dusk, like some suggested.
Badlands, Wall Drug (wouldn't go back, but after a million signs....., Devil's Tower, Little Bighorn Battlefield (which I thought was outstanding), Deadwood, Jellystone
Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #14

Thumbs up Crazy Horse

Absolutely go there. We enjoyed it more than Mt Rushmore.
I would go again when I am in the area. Most delightful!
Vixda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
hobiekaw, sounds like the same trip we are taking. If you have any don't miss things let me know. Thanks
I would skip wall drug although the kids enjoyed it. Mount Rushmore for the evening show was outstanding. If you want to see a huge here of buffalo definitely go to Custer.
hobiekaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #16

One thing in warning, the Strugis motorcycle rally is the second week of August. Be a lot of motorcycles up there at this time.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #17

I was there in 1963, what a rip off. Was back about 3 years ago what a change and as other have said lots to see.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #18

Don't miss Crazy Horse!
edkayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
We are taking our first +2 week trip to Yellowstone late summer. I had taken a stop at Crazy Horse Memorial off the itinerary after looking at the website. Since have had several people tell me to definitely stop at Crazy Horse.

Any input from those who have been there would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, planning on driving through the Bad Lands National Park, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Little Big Horn Battlefield, staying in West Yellowstone for 6 nights, Coulter Bay RV Village in Grand Tetons 2 nights. So any information on those appreciated also.

Thanks in advance, this forum has been terrific!
Sounds pretty much like the trip I took a few years back, but also did Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse. As long as you're in the Mt. Rushmore area, you may as well see Crazy Horse as well ... it is literally right down the road and is cool if you like that sort of thing (we did). Enjoy the trip!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #20

While you are in the area put Sturgis on your list. Usually known for the motorcycle rally, but fun to visit. However, the best, and hidden item is Fort Meade. The fort is still an active Nat. Guard post, but it is where the 7th Calvary was stationed before the Lil Big Horn and it is where the survivors returned. There is a really nice free museum at the fort. I was disappointed at the Little Big Horn due to it's lack of info and artifacts. They are all in the museum at Fort Meade. I would also put Cody Wy. on the list. Lots of fun and the museum is fantastic. Been to both and will go back.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote