Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #21

Crater Lake National Park in Oregon is a must see!
wendylys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie.graves View Post
I would like to remind folks heading out west to remember about altitude sickness, it can hit u like a ton of bricks, and the only cure is getting below about 5000 feet above sea level... don't ask me how I know!!!!!
What is the percentage of people who experience altitude sickness?

Not to sound like a saddest, but it is kind of funny to watch people at the top of Pike's Peak in the parking lot who jump out of their vehicles and "attempt" to walk fast to the little store....they get about twenty feet then stop.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47chevy View Post
Red Lodge Mt ,50 miles south of Billings on hwy 212 , at the base of Beartooth Mtn. Old mining town , 60 miles from Yellostone NE entrance via Beartooth Mtn pass (small campers only) max length is 40 ft , but not recommended , 60 miles north of Cody Wy .Buffalo Bill museum and much more. and the east entrance to Yellowstone
Just asking, are there signs limiting the size of vehicles on the beartooth? I can't remember ever seeing any the numerous times I have driven the road. I know some people who have pulled it with 30 foot trailers and one year, I was behind a very large fifth wheel going up the switchbacks out of Red Lodge and they made it with no problems around the switches, but he was taking it slow.

The Old Smith Mine, just outside of Red Lodge...

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:42 PM   #24
Anacortesians

I agree with Wendy about Crater Lake. Just be aware that the park itself doesn't have any camping facilities. A commercial photographer friend did a photo-essay book on the Park and got special permission to stay there in his MH for a few days to get the photos.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #25

Relative to altitude sickness - haven't seen much other than virtually everyone sucking for more air when you get above 9000 ft above sea level.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Just asking, are there signs limiting the size of vehicles on the beartooth? I can't remember ever seeing any the numerous times I have driven the road. I know some people who have pulled it with 30 foot trailers and one year, I was behind a very large fifth wheel going up the switchbacks out of Red Lodge and they made it with no problems around the switches, but he was taking it slow.

The Old Smith Mine, just outside of Red Lodge...
The Wife and I have ridden around Montana and to Red Lodge on a few occasions. I'm a junkie for anything old mine related, and it's well worth the time to stop and poke around the old Smith mine site. I've only ever ridden the Beartooth Pass, but I'd suggest it would easier to not haul a trailer or rv up the pass. Maybe a daily rental car would suffice, as it is a great (but very twisty) road to drive up.

We live in BC, arguably among the most beautiful places on earth, and we still (almost every year) go camping on the Oregon coast. Want to know what it's like to drive alongside the edge of the world? The Oregon coast will gladly let you experience it. Miles upon miles of the best, cleanest, and least populated beaches anywhere to be seen. Friendly people of all stripes seem to populate the area, with a real live and let live attitude.
We will be back on the Oregon coast this summer, 2 weeks at South Beach State Park just south of Newport.

I'd also recommend Going To The Sun Road in Glacier. We've ridden there a couple times and it's also fantastic.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #27

Going to the Sun

Agree this is a beautiful piece of nature. When we made the trip through there, I thought I remembered signs that indicated a problem with over length vehicles due to the sever switch backs?

We are heading there again this summer but with our motorhome.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #28

As far as a sign about the length on Beartooth , there is not one on the Red Lodge side , it got knocked over by a snow plow a couple of years ago and never replaced ! LOL
supposed to do it this spring.........But there is one on the Cook City side of the Beartooth. As far as being able to make , quite possible that you can , but what happens when you meet someone coming from the other direction.........Something/someone hast to give/backup !
Anyone traveling in the area this season , stop in at the KOA In Red Lodge at least to say HELLO ! Will be there the 1st of May
2012 40' Sanibel
Speed limit 65 , Fords & Chevys , do your best
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #29

That explains it. I have only come through from Cooke City once. All the other times I have done the beartooth to or from Chief Joseph and out or in via 308.
Never knew there was a KOA there either.

I usually camp at Greenough Lake, or down west of Cody at Wapiti. Although my first year on the Beartooth, I spent a few days at the cabins at Perry's.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #30

KOA is just 4 miles north of Red Lodge on Hwy 212 , Main St, on the right (east) side of the road..........pretty decent little KOA . not just a gravel parking lot.......New owners as of last spring and they are nice people and working hard to improve it and make it better.
This is our 2nd year there as work kampers and totally love the area
2012 40' Sanibel
Old 03-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #31

All those times in Red Lodge and I don't believe I have ever been north of hwy 78. Maybe this year, I head a little north to see what it's like.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #32

well come on up ! ! At least stop in and say Hello or stay a night or so with us , think you would like the campground.
Spike
2012 40' Sanibel
Old 04-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #33

[QUOTE=BigDnRo;801610]Hi - we are beginning to plan a big trip for 2016 - traveling northwest from OH.

There is so much to see in this great country, hard to cover everything.

We went last year to Nebraska, edge of Wyoming, SD and back across to Ohio.
We saw a lot, missed a lot, going back soon to see again and see more!!

Stop at the Welcome centers of each state. Most are near the interstates, one was just off interstate in strip mall. Worth the effort to get to it. TONS of free information. Pick up the state booklets! They are beautiful full magazines with full color pics and most do the states in sections.They are worth their weight in gold. Lots of information about
the areas. Some states have county books also. One place in Nebraska, off the beaten path had lots of local info and also books of the area written by local authors. Always interesting to read.

Search for local campgrounds on the internet. We found many at lower prices that were just wonderful. I always read the reviews before we consider the campground.
We stayed at a campground in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, located in town, next to the city zoo!! $20 for full hookups!! Very nice and clean. And quiet. Heard the lion roaring in the morning!! (someone recommended it to me on this forum!)

Pick up any free booklets or pamphlets you see. Most are just the local tourist traps but some are out of the way places worth seeing.
And ask the locals at these welcome stations what to see. They can usually tell you of things of interest.

Take your time. Find an area you would like to visit and park and stay for a few days, then roam around in the TV.

The great land of ours is beautiful and so different from here in Ohio.

Also, I recommend seeing the Crazy Horse monument. Mt Rushmore is inspiring but very commercialized. Crazy Horse is so much more, wonderful story there plus a museum and an Indian college. Tons of history.
Camp in north edge of South Dakota, then take days trips down to Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore. Also can see buffalo in the wild at Custer State Park. (highlight of our trip for my DH!)

Actually, 6 months might not be enough!!!!

Karen

PS am trying to talk DH into full timing for a year so we can go see more of this country!!
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #34

We will do something similar this summer in Wyoming and Montana. Wish we had time to go further into Montana.

Good luck with full timing! We hope to spend 6 months during the year in our motorhome.
Puglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #35

Mazama campground I worked their one summer????

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #36

working at the KOA in Red Lodge Mt (snowed about 3 inches or so today ). We are in the southern edge of Mt. at the base of Beartooth Mtn. 60Miles north of Cody ,Wy. 50 miles south of Billings Mt and 60 miles from the NE entrance of Yellowstone by way of the mtn.....lots to see in this area and we are not far into Mt.
To all, stop by and see us or stay for awhile
2012 40' Sanibel
Old 04-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #37

I'll agree, Red Lodge and the Beartooth are a must see.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #38

Bear tooth highway is one of my "must see" things this go round!
Puglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #39

Puglover

Be sure to stop at the KOA in Red Lodge , we are 4 miles north of town . lots of good info ,pet friendly. At least stop in and say Hello !
2012 40' Sanibel
Old 05-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #40

Re: Heading West in 2016

Hi, we have been travelling west for the past few years (from Mass.). We have stayed at Potters Creek Campground in New Braunfels, TX, very nice, great sites. Most of the places we stayed were without reservations and we always had great luck. In the New Mexico area we love Rockhound State Park in Demming, also City of Rocks State Park is very nice with unusual rock formations. In Arizona we loved the Lost Dutchman State Park in Apache Junction. There is a great scenic drive (Apache Trail) but I wouldn't recommend pulling a trailer or if you have a large motorhome on this trail. But it is great fun. We also stayed at Quartzsite, AZ, that was a great relaxing time. When we are on the road we usually pull into a WalMart (what a blessing they are). we also have stayed at many Flying J's - sometimes the noise is hard to take (only because we park in back with the trucks). Some rest areas will let you stay for 24 hours. We found that is you reserve at a State Park, the fee is larger than if you just 'walk in'. Hope you have a wonderful trip. We always do. Don't forget to watch the sunsets - they are spectacular.
Dubedubedo is offline   Reply With Quote