Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

Headwaters Flagg Ranch Resort Moran, Wyoming

Planning a trip this summer and want to stay at Headwaters for a few days. I would greatly appreciate any insight someone may have. I did a search on the forum and didn't see anything.....

just looking for the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Thanks in advance

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #2

You must be set on staying at Flagg ranch but if you're not then check out Colter Bay RV campground (not the boondocking camp grounds). It's located within Teton NP with full hook ups and a pretty nice place to stay. If you are 62 or older you can get a senior life time NP pass for $10. Otherwise there is a $20 one time fee for entrance to the NP and Yellowstone. We go there about every other year and have never had any issues. It would be farther from the town of Jackson but a little closer to Yellowstone. Reservations early is required. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #3

not totaly set

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You must be set on staying at Flagg ranch but if you're not then check out Colter Bay RV campground (not the boondocking camp grounds). It's located within Teton NP with full hook ups and a pretty nice place to stay. If you are 62 or older you can get a senior life time NP pass for $10. Otherwise there is a $20 one time fee for entrance to the NP and Yellowstone. We go there about every other year and have never had any issues. It would be farther from the town of Jackson but a little closer to Yellowstone. Reservations early is required. Just a thought.

No, I am not set on staying there, although it does fit our needs....approx. halfway between Yellowstone and Teton NP. I have the pass ....we plan on at least a 4 day stay, we know we won't get everything in. We are taking our 12 year old granddaughter with us ...all in all it will be about a 30 day trip.

Does Colter have plenty of room to get in and out with a fairly good size rig with a toad? Laundry facilities in good shape and so on? We know there is not any cell service, cable TV or wifi up in that area....doesn't bother us and that will be a good thing for our granddaughter

Thanks for the suggestion, trying to tie down a place pretty soon so I can get my reservations in.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #4

We have a 38' GT 378TS and tow a Saturn VUE. We disconect at check in site and never have an issue with maneuvering. We see many huge 5th wheels come in and out without difficulty. The individual sites are laid out so as to afford maximum privacy. You are correct about no cable and wifi and there are numerous trees to block a fixed sat antenna. We have a carry out dish antenna and most of the time we are in a slot that allows southern sky antenna viewing. We don't use the local restroom facilities so have no opinion for them. There is a laundromat facility in Colter Village. We go to Jackson a few times during our stay. We rent our boat from Signal Mountain for fishing Jackson Lake. Gosh, just talking about it makes us yearn to be there now. Anyway, we like the location and enjoy every trip we make to the Tetons. We have no opinions, good or bad for Flagg Ranch. You might google Colter Bay RV Park for other opinions and ratings because we are just one input and everyone's needs are different. If you google make sure the opinions are for the rv park with full hookups. Whatever you decide a trip to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone will provide unmatched memories for the kiddies and adults alike. Take lots of pictures and as always drive safely.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #5

bubbles,
We sure appreciate your input, we have been to Yellowstone and Tetons several times in the past. It is probably some of the most beautiful country we have ever seen. Although, our trips through there have been on motorcycles, so not much need for an RV park.
I have read some reviews about Colter and Headwaters....seems the biggest difference is cost per night. Mostly we will be there to sleep and eat. You can't beat waking up being in that area of the world.

Our plan is to go sightsee into Yellowstone, Tetons and Jackson, then head to Boise Idaho.
Our trip will be a huge loop.....from home in Texas.....North Dakota....Idaho....Arizona....then back home to Texas. All in all about 5300 miles.

so again, thanks very much for your input

oh and safely is the only way to drive

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 01-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Site Team

personally, i don't consider Flagg Ranch's location as a good base to see Yellowstone from.
the mileage difference is much longer in real life, than it looks on a map.
plus YNP is so big, going from Flagg Ranch up to the north end of the park, is a really long drive.

it's best to stay in YNP to visit YNP and then go to Colter Bay or Gros Ventre to visit the Grand Tetons.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #7

I stayed in Flagg Ranch a couple of years back. Was not impressed, no views, unlevel sites, and only 20 amp service. My brother camps either in Colter Bay or Fishing Bridge in the park.
Texas Bohunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #8

Colter Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bohunk View Post
I stayed in Flagg Ranch a couple of years back. Was not impressed, no views, unlevel sites, and only 20 amp service. My brother camps either in Colter Bay or Fishing Bridge in the park.

I think we are going to go with Colter Bay

Thanks for all the input folks

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 01-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #9

Last spot at Colter Bay end of June

According to the young lady I just spoke with ....I just got a reservation for the last spot at Colter Bay for the dates of June 29th - July 3rd

WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 01-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
According to the young lady I just spoke with ....I just got a reservation for the last spot at Colter Bay for the dates of June 29th - July 3rd

WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!
Lucky dog. Enjoy.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #11

Have Fun! We stayed at Flagg & Grant Village last fall. Here are some notes and pictures:
Yellowstone | Small Home - Big Yard
Days in the RV - 2016:126; 2017:144; 2018:316; 2019:164
ColoradoKampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKampers View Post
Have Fun! We stayed at Flagg & Grant Village last fall. Here are some notes and pictures:
Yellowstone | Small Home - Big Yard

Thanks Colorado......great write up by the way

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Tags
water