Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Highway 101 North from LA towards WA state.

Has anyone traveled this route? Is it camper friendly? Will be pulling 34' 5r, and we are debating 101 or 5 North...thanks all.
demoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoore View Post
Has anyone traveled this route? Is it camper friendly? Will be pulling 34' 5r, and we are debating 101 or 5 North...thanks all.
not sure where you're from but 101 is fine for any RV.
i think you must be thinking of Highway 1, which has many sections that are not RV-friendly.
the debate between 101 and 5 North comes down to one thing: do you want to get to your destination the quickest route or do you have time and want to take the scenic route?
5 North-quickest easiest route
101-slower but much prettier and spectacular route.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #3

Thanks. What I needed to know.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #4

I agree with bikendan, I-5 is much faster, flat lands through the central valley. Hwy 101 is much more scenic, but alot slower especially through the San Francisco bay area. Not sure how you fell about traffic in a city. From San Francisco north beautiful, wine country, redwoods. Alot of two lane winding Highway north of Ukiah.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #5

Sweet. Making a military move from TN up to WA. Gonna take our time and show the kids some of our great country.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Sweet. Making a military move from TN up to WA. Gonna take our time and show the kids some of our great country.
A neat stop along 101 in Oregon for kids and big kids is the Tillamook Cheese Factory. We use 101 to head down south from BC and always make a stop for cheese and Ice Cream. The place has a big RV parking area. Easy in easy out.

Ray

raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post

A neat stop along 101 in Oregon for kids and big kids is the Tillamook Cheese Factory. We use 101 to head down south from BC and always make a stop for cheese and Ice Cream. The place has a big RV parking area. Easy in easy out.

Ray
There is a small RV park walking distance to the cheese factory. Also in Tillamook, there is a great local museum, history plus a room with animals, birds and various eggs.

South of town is an air museum in a WWII blimp hanger.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
Anacortesians

If you have the time, the Oregon Coast is well worth spending it. Not sure about the CA coast north of SF, since we've only seen it from the Coast Starlighter train.

We're off this weekend to do the Oregon Coast again. This time we're going North to South, since turning off the highway and re-entering it are easier. You're not having to cross the opposing traffic.

If you're an airplane buff, don't miss the Tillamook Air Museum. It's in a WW2 blimp hangar. The building itself is worth the visit. Also, there's the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinnville. It's quite a way off 101 (maybe 50 miles or so) but very well worth takng the time and then going back to 101. It was founded by the man who started Evergreen Airlines, now a MAJOR international freight carrier. We haven't been for 10 years or more and I understand it has greatly expanded recently. The museum houses Howard Hughes' "Spruce Goose" flyng boat - the largest all-wooden airframe structure ever built. It flew just once, for about 7 minutes, with Hughes at the helm. it must have frightened him, because it never flew again.

If you do travel 101, stop at the first Oregon Tourist ofiice you come to and get their booklet "101 by the mile". It's an invaluable resource for the trip. It's one of the best scenic drives in the USA!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #9

X2 on Coupeville and Anacortes, both are great place to visit, Northwest at its best! Some great scenery and fine CG on the water. Be sure to take a tour of the Tillamook Cheese factory and also sample the Clam Chowder at various restaurants along the way; it is great.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #10

Quote:
I-5 is the fastest way to Washington.
If you have the time I would at least stop north of San Francisco and drive back into SF to see the warf, Alcatraz, etc.
Further north is Bodega Bay which has lots of campgrounds and further north you have the Great Red Woods and you must stop and see Paul Bunyon and his Blue Ox.
Like someone also mentioned the Oregon coast is really great.
Even if you don't do this travelling to your PCS I'd think it would be a great vacation in furture years after you get to know the area.
Also when you can go north from Seattle to northern Washington and Vancouver BC.

Before I forget thank you for your service to oour nation.
I'm retired with 21 years in the USAF.
Take care
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #11

Iggy.
Thank you for your service as well. And thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Iggy.
Thank you for your service as well. And thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
I'm guessing you are going to Bremerton. Great place to enjoy a few years.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #13

Will be taking senior enlisted job in medical on USS STENNIS.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Will be taking senior enlisted job in medical on USS STENNIS.
Just reading about her getting into port today. 5/3/13
http://www.king5.com/news/local/USS-...206016541.html
Nice aircraft carrrier!
Hope you stay home but I know that is not the case in the Navy.
Good Luck
Old 05-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #15

Hwy 101 north of Eureka, CA is really beautiful. There are lots of logging trucks. You will find many campgrounds at Klamath.. Take time to tour the red wood trees.. You could go salmon fishing on the Klamath River and also enjoy the Pacific Ocean and beaches. You can also take a jet boat ride on the Klamath. take a tour at Ocean World in Crescent City.. My nephew Kristoffer is a tour guide and trains the sea animals. I was stationed at Klamath Air Force Station 1978-1980. This was a long range radar station. It is now owned by the Redwood National Forest. Our base housing overlooked the ocean with giant Redwood trees in our back yard. I retired from the USAF in 1983 with twenty years service. Thank you and your family for your military service to our wonderful country. May God bless you.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
Anacortesians

Sirsea:

We feel very fortunate to actually live in Anacortes. It's about 18,000 population and a friend who was born and raised here says that, if you got into trouble on the way home from school, your Mom knew about it before you got home.

Many of our boat-owning neighbors can't quite understand why we own an RV. My response is that one big chunk of rock sticking out of the sea and covered with fir trees looks a lot like all the others, and 15 knots is an awful slow way of getting around. Besides, I can't get to Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon in a boat!

We'll keep on RVing until we drop! We're leaving very soon on a trip all the way down the Oregon coast from Astoria to Crescent City, taking our two 9-year old Labradors along. If you're coming the other way, look out for am '02 Georgetown, WA plate 191YUR.