Old 04-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #1

Highway 50 across Nevada and Utah?

I'll soon depart home in southern Oregon for the Moab, Utah area. I have a 25' Forester MBS and tow a Suzuki Sidekick.

I hate driving on the interstate and it looks like US highway 50 runs from near Reno to near Moab. Any advice on that route?

Looks like towns are few and far between, but I almost always boondock anyway, and carry tools, extra supplies, have a WeBoost cell phone booster, keep my water tank full, etc. I drove to Alaska last summer and am very comfortable being out in the boonies.

bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #2

Have done Hwy 50 in Nevada as far east as 93 and then we headed south. Did the trip end of Sept. It was gorgeous but I remember a few passes you will be driving over. May want to check road/snow conditions before heading out. Yes, cute little historic and picturesque towns along the route. Have not done Hwy 50 in Utah though.

Around the Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #3

Its called the loneliest highway in America, and it lives up to itís billing. Drove it from Utah to California a few years back. I think we saw two cars the entire trip, no kidding. Be prepared for long, long empty stretches. We found it beautiful in a lot of areas and it goes right pass the infamous Area 51. I donít remember any areas that were tough grades, but it does go through the Basin and Range area of the West so it has some ups and downs. Enjoy the drive, we did.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #4

We drive the HWY 50 route as much as we can as we dislike freeways / interstates. We would do the Reno - Ely - Delta, Ut, and then on to Denver, but you can connect right on to Moab. Always enjoyed it and will be driving this route again this summer. If driving at night, really watch for range cattle as it open range and almost all the beef is black! Real exciting to be zipping down the road and all of a sudden see a 600 pound cow go whizzing by your window.
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #5

I know a lot of people hate driving on 50 and similar desert type roads but I enjoy it and have driven 50 from Carson City to Ely numerous times. Do be careful and watch for wildlife particularly at night. The last time I went to Eureka, which is a cool little town, I hit the biggest rabbit I have ever seen. There are areas where the road has some curvy grades but nothing to extreme.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
hhl

When you see diesel , stop and fill tank. I forgot to stop drove into Ely with less than a gallon in the tank.
Luckely it was down hill into the town. Robinson open pit copper mine and garnet hill
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
Its called the loneliest highway in America, and it lives up to itís billing. Drove it from Utah to California a few years back. I think we saw two cars the entire trip, no kidding. Be prepared for long, long empty stretches. We found it beautiful in a lot of areas and it goes right pass the infamous Area 51. I donít remember any areas that were tough grades, but it does go through the Basin and Range area of the West so it has some ups and downs. Enjoy the drive, we did.
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I think Area 51 is closer to
Hwy. 375 that runs from Warm Springs, past Rachel, down to Crystal Springs in Nevada. Last year I stayed in Alamo and took that route
to Tonopah, NV. on my way to Hwy. 395 north to Susanville, Ca. Good country no matter what you call it or where it is. Those are my kind of roads!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
We drive the HWY 50 route as much as we can as we dislike freeways / interstates. We would do the Reno - Ely - Delta, Ut, and then on to Denver, bt you can connect right on to Moab. Always enjoyed it and will be driving this route again this summer. If driving at night, really watch for range cattle as it open range and almost all the beef is black! Real exciting to be zipping down the road and all of a sudden see a 600 pound cow go whizzing by your window.
And in case some people don't know it- open range means if you hit a cow, you just bought it. And you will pay. This little tidbit of knowledge comes from personal experience on a highway out in the middle of nowhere in Utah.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:31 AM   #9

Three years ago, we towed our 5th wheel on US 50 on our way back to Denver after spending a week in Lake Tahoe and Carson City. We stayed the first night in Ely, the second and third in Great Basin National Park, and the fourth in Grand Junction, CO. We filled the tank in Austin (very expensive for diesel), topped off in Ely, then filled again at truck stops in Delta and Grand Junction.

Lots of ups and downs, as others have mentioned, but I don't remember using the exhaust brake along US 50. We did use it in Great Basin NP, however, because we drove--without the trailer--to the highest point the road goes on Wheeler Peak.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:02 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I think Area 51 is closer to
Hwy. 375 that runs from Warm Springs
You're correct. Area 51(Groom Lake)is far away from Highway 50.
It's actually closer to Las Vegas.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
utah