Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Houston to Alaska - help us plan our trip please

We've spent some time on Roadtrippers planning our route before we discovered how little (shamefully) we know about the wonders of the left coast. We'd like some suggestions on what not to miss.

The overall plan is pretty basic - head due west in early May through Joshua Tree and Palm Springs (to visit friends) then head north. The return trip will be a little more direct through Idaho & Utah to see Zion and Bryce in above freezing temperatures. We figured we hit the Canadian border at the beginning of June. Will the roads be clear?

We are altitude junkies and love driving twisty mountain roads avoiding major highways when practical. Giant Sequoia, General Sherman Tree, Nevada Falls, Yosemite are on the trip.

What stops did y'all enjoy?

Questions, comments, and snide remarks are welcomed.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #2

Canyon pines rv park outside Boise is pretty cool. Low frills, nice owners and cool River. Well maintained and updated. Only $30 per night with full hookups.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #3

Jim and Marys in Missoula MT is our favorite. Like camping in a botanical garden. We crossed the border at Laurier Wa and spent the first 2 nights in Canada at the Hideaway RV park near Grand Forks BC.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #4

If you are going into Canada through Vancouver, I can't help you. But I can definitely recommend going in through Osoyoos, BC, and spending some time in the beautiful glacial lake/fruit and wine-growing Okanagan Valley. Then you can head up to the Cassiar Highway via BC 97 and the Yellowhead highway. Coming back, don't miss visiting Banff and Jasper NPs in Alberta!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
If you are going into Canada through Vancouver, I can't help you. But I can definitely recommend going in through Osoyoos, BC, and spending some time in the beautiful glacial lake/fruit and wine-growing Okanagan Valley. Then you can head up to the Cassiar Highway via BC 97 and the Yellowhead highway. Coming back, don't miss visiting Banff and Jasper NPs in Alberta!
Through the Jasper and Banff parks is a beautiful trip although the campgrounds can become crowded. Reservations are possible and recommended.
Word of advice: Don't try bringing any firearms into or even through Canada without getting the required permits from the Canadian Firearms Centre at 1-800-731-4000
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #6

Driving to Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodeler View Post
We've spent some time on Roadtrippers planning our route before we discovered how little (shamefully) we know about the wonders of the left coast. We'd like some suggestions on what not to miss.

The overall plan is pretty basic - head due west in early May through Joshua Tree and Palm Springs (to visit friends) then head north. The return trip will be a little more direct through Idaho & Utah to see Zion and Bryce in above freezing temperatures. We figured we hit the Canadian border at the beginning of June. Will the roads be clear?

We are altitude junkies and love driving twisty mountain roads avoiding major highways when practical. Giant Sequoia, General Sherman Tree, Nevada Falls, Yosemite are on the trip.

What stops did y'all enjoy?

Questions, comments, and snide remarks are welcomed.
My wife and I towed a pop up camper to Alaska from northern Ohio two years ago. first time in 40 years that I had towed a trailer anywhere. We went through Edmonton to the Alaska Highway to Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, towns along the south coast in to and just about everywhere there were paved roads and Dawson City in the Yukon and back home. about 7 weeks on the road. We found the roads were fine and had no issues. Be prepared for some delays in construction areas and be really prepared for a dirty vehicle. I really urge you to check on the laws about taking things into Canada, like meat and fresh vegetables. Meat from the US into Canada is a strict NO NO and I think you will find the same for vegetables. At one border crossing we were even asked if we had any cans with meat in them, such as corned beef. Fortunately I had read up on this and was prepared. We had none. Finally, when you see a gas station, gas up and get rid of your old coffee and pop. Gas stations and rest rooms in many areas are few and far in between. Check on the rules for things like taking bear spray across the border. BTW we came back through BC into Washington State and the trip was fantastic. Again no issues with the roads. We saw many big motor homes and 5th wheels all along both routes and all seemed to be doing well. Have fun.
BullHalsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
AF CMSGT RET

I live in alaska and have made this trip many many time to florida or texas (houston relative) If you would like email me (05pickjr@ gci.net) and I can help you with information. I am leaving on 8 april to ferry to bellingham then to orlando and back in mid May other wise I am home till then.
pickeljr
isata 3 2018
carbon 5th wheel
pickeljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #8

Stayed in a campground once where the house was from Alaska. He suggested driving one way and taking the ferry back. Found the high cost of gas in Canada to make it almost a wash on the ferry cost versus driving and you get to see something different.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullHalsey View Post
Meat from the US into Canada is a strict NO NO and I think you will find the same for vegetables. .
Are you sure?? We've never had any problem bringing meat, fruit or veg back in to Canada from the US. The only issues we've ever had was taking tomatoes in to the US from Canada.

I think the only meat either side has a concern about is goat or mutton - neither of which we had.

Here is a link to the Canadian customs and food inspection agency website that has current information about what foods can and cannot enter.
What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Bear Spray is permitted but please don't try and bring mace or OC for personal defence - prohibited here. And handguns will get you turned around or arrested. Long guns are allowed if you pay the fees and complete the documentation prior to crossing.

A good crossing point would be through Eureka in northern MT. That leads you up the west side of the Rockies until you get to Radium Hot Springs. Cross there towards Banff and Lake Louise then head north up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. You won't be disappointed. As others have said, you might need to book a site but only for the weekends in early June.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #10

We crossed the border into Canada with a freezer full of pork chops. The border guards never asked us for anything.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:45 AM   #11
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Thanks all and keep the comments coming !

No guns - too much paperwork. Just our dog and her up-to-date vet papers.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
Dahagen

Make sure you enjoy the Alaska (Al-Can) WW2 road. We had no reservations along the route but if you plan to stop by 3 or 4 pm to enjoy the area you should have no problems. And always buy gas or diesel when you see a gas pump. Few and far between.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #13
AF CMSGT RET

Im posting this in answer to an email I got and the information is the same for most anyone traveling the highway (ALCAN)

Hi In answer to your email
I just made that trip from Goshen Ind to home last June and there are various ways you can go depending on your time and what type of traveling you do ,
We took what I call the “southern route “ to Portland oregan . But if you go a little further north up to us 90 there is the opportunity to see Mt Rushmore and the area around there. Further west going to Portland we joined US 84 thru the Columbus River canyon . Then north to Vancouver BC and over the See to Ski Hiway to intersect CA 97 to prince George then to towards Prince Rupert and up the Cassier hiway to intersect the ALCAN at Watson Lake and on to White Horse , Haines Junction to Anchorage or Fairbank or either and circle to the other before starting back down the ALCAN but this time goint thru Watson Lake to Dawson. Or you could take the “top of the World Highway “ to Dawson CITY BC and thru Carmack BC back to Whitehorse. Once to Dawson CREEK and on to Edmonton then down to Winniepeg and Grand Forks etc. These would be the best for covering the same ground twice. But again Lots to see and depends on time. Traveling in May the weather is a toss up in the north and late sept the same advice NEVER in april or late Oct due to freeze thaw cycle make for icey and bad weather.:<(
The reason for my taking the ferry this april, I did the “puckpowered “ version trip last early nov , :<( Ill be back in mid May , in time for the salmon runs to start :>)

Any other advice I can give just ask; I would say make sure that you get a “Milepost Magazine for total information on the highway and great tourist information. If you can’t find there I can send you one cost about 15-20$ at costco plus mailing. The main thing is be mechanically prepared and mentally prepared for a looong adventure. Lots of construction delays usually in Canada and speed limits MEAN whatever they say, not like the US with a padding. Get fuel at large towns and don’t count on cell phone reception. I use a version of satellite phone (Garmin Explorer) and I have good Sam roadside (fix my tires) also have good tires. Like I said and adventure. I have driven mine from the north slope AK to Key West and only 1 time had a flat ( my motto has always been “be Prepared therefore not needed” lucky If you drive fast on slate surface you will have tire problem so stay mostly on the main roads or drive slower than normal. You can have a great adventure of miserable proportions or fantastic proportions, depending on preparation and attitude towards the environment.
Probably too much info for now but give some thought to it and I’m here, been here for 28 years , we came up the high way from Louisiana in 1990, and it’s a great place…..:>)
05pickjr@gci.net

2018 ISATA 3
2016 Carbon toyhauler
Numerous others over the years.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
Are you sure?? We've never had any problem bringing meat, fruit or veg back in to Canada from the US. The only issues we've ever had was taking tomatoes in to the US from Canada.

I think the only meat either side has a concern about is goat or mutton - neither of which we had.

Here is a link to the Canadian customs and food inspection agency website that has current information about what foods can and cannot enter.
What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Bear Spray is permitted but please don't try and bring mace or OC for personal defence - prohibited here. And handguns will get you turned around or arrested. Long guns are allowed if you pay the fees and complete the documentation prior to crossing.

A good crossing point would be through Eureka in northern MT. That leads you up the west side of the Rockies until you get to Radium Hot Springs. Cross there towards Banff and Lake Louise then head north up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. You won't be disappointed. As others have said, you might need to book a site but only for the weekends in early June.

This was at one border crossing and the questions were asked by a crossing guard.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
We crossed the border into Canada with a freezer full of pork chops. The border guards never asked us for anything.
The CBP is not concerned with meat. They concentrate on raw fruits and vegetables, excessive alcoholic beverages, firearms and children. If traveling with children, have all their documents. Both CBP and US Customs are always on the alert for Human Trafficking.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #16
AF CMSGT RET

each providence border crossings have their own philosophies about the rules so be nice, be polite and don't argue , you will lose :>( experience speaking here
Old 02-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #17
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Quote:
be nice, be polite and don't argue
Our crossing back into the US from Canada to see Niagara Falls has blessed us with a 20 minute comedy routine with which often has our friends rolling on the floor.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickeljr View Post
each providence border crossings have their own philosophies about the rules so be nice, be polite and don't argue , you will lose :>( experience speaking here

Being polite to the guards is one thing that I have heard and heeded every time we cross the border. One crossing we made from Alaska the young guard asked where we were going and his very next question was "What year is your truck?" For the next ten minutes we talked trucks. He never again asked the normal questions.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #19
AF CMSGT RET

absolutely , in all my travels the rule of thumb is be courteous to border guards and customs officials
Old 02-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #20

Ont of the earlier posts recommended the getting the the guide The Milepost. X2 here. This annual book gives detailed info about about the roads to and in Alaska. I made the trip several years ago, and this guide was a great help.
JT_Blanch is offline   Reply With Quote