Old 08-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
We just did the trip from the Bay Area to the Olympic Peninsula and around, what a beautiful route. In Northern Ca and Oregon those bike riders, sharing the road, are scary at times if you meet up with them at the wrong time. It really bugs when their riding together and trying to have a conversation next to each other. Much of the real scenic areas, ocean cliffs and mountain sides don’t have bike lanes and it can get tight especially when I want to see the view at the same time too.
More dangerous than the bikers are the elk by the National Red Wood Park and more than the elk are the tourist that stop in the middle of the road on blind corners. These elk are magnificent and I believe the herds cross the HWY every day, at least while we were there.
You should really take the scenic cutoff at Redwood National Park, exit 753(from south to north) Newton B Drury Scenic Pkwy, its through the park, its only 35mph but we never got over 25mph because of the beauty(we did it 5 times ). The park ranges will tell you that it cuts off a large grade, saves fuel and time. It never saved us time do to stopping each time through to take pictures.

2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
2004 Yukon XL Denali
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #12
The road from Leggett to the coast is very narrow with lots of sharp curves and steep grades. Just came through there pulling our 32' fifth wheel and it was a challenge. Highly recommend taking 101 and cutting over to Ft Bragg at Willets.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Rsharrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #13
Stated earlier that I was thinking about it, it is a definite trip now. Starting to plot the camp grounds. Will drive 5 all the way to the Canadian border and then come down the coast. Should be a great trip.

2012 Sandstorm 34ft 5th Wheel Toy Hauler 3215
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Long Bed
NASCAR Camping 2014: 8 nights (Fontana & Sonoma)
Indy Camping 2014: 3 nights (Fontana)
Camping KOA's 2014: 27 nights
speters53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #14
We just did the trip from Bodega Bay CA to just south of Ft Bragg and over 20 to Hwy 101 into Oregon. Very beautiful drive.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:50 AM   #15
been there done that

Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
I have done the route SB with a 17' TT. I think you will do fine. For tbe Golden Gate, get on 101 around Daily City. That is the route the commercial busses take. I woukd stay on 101 and bypass Fort Bragg. Although it is very scenic, the strerch from there back to 101 is white knuckle, narrow, steep, and hair pin turns -- all at one time.

Safe travels
On that road out of Fort Bragg I counted a turn every 13 seconds and it was about a 40 minute drive.

Also, the stretch from Petrolea to just south of Eureka is white knuckle in a car much less an RV, possible but not recommended. No services and the road is build on unstable ground so frequently rough. Nice beaches though.

From Eureka north to Oregon border all smooth sailing.

Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote