Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #1

I-80 west into salt lake city

We will be traveling to Tahoe from Chicago this coming October ( first two weeks ). Pulling a 30 ft coachmen with a 2012 ram 2500, gaser. The trailer is about 3500 pounds less than max tow not a problem with that I was hoping to hear from people that have climbed and dropped back down i-80 west to Salt Lake City. plus my tanks will be empty.
mdrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Team

we bought our Roo 23SS from a Chicago dealer and drove all the way back to Napa, on I-80 back in 2006.

the only bad spots were the Nebraska/Wyoming border, regarding very high winds and some spots thru the Rockies.
but we felt that driving thru the Rockies was easier than driving thru the Sierras. the grades weren't as steep.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
we bought our Roo 23SS from a Chicago dealer and drove all the way back to Napa, on I-80 back in 2006.

the only bad spots were the Nebraska/Wyoming border, regarding very high winds and some spots thru the Rockies.
but we felt that driving thru the Rockies was easier than driving thru the Sierras. the grades weren't as steep.
did you stay on I-80 all the way down to Sacramento? the wind is a big concern to us, I will add a second friction sway to the hitch to help a little and drive slow.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
phat phrog stunt crew

i used to travel I 80 on a near weekly basis many yrs ago. my only problem with that route was the mind numbing monotonous of it. great in the summer time for good weather. i recall it always seemed to be windy in wyoming. not sure if true or not, but it always seemed to be blowing there and pretty much only there.

west of reno, is donner pass. pretty much all down hill nearly to sacremento. that part of the trip was beautiful.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
i used to travel I 80 on a near weekly basis many yrs ago. my only problem with that route was the mind numbing monotonous of it. great in the summer time for good weather. i recall it always seemed to be windy in wyoming. not sure if true or not, but it always seemed to be blowing there and pretty much only there.

west of reno, is donner pass. pretty much all down hill nearly to sacremento. that part of the trip was beautiful.
we are looking forward to the trip, I will have to drive about 500 miles a day to make our stay worth while.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #6

with the truck and trailer being over 50 ft long I'm a bit worried about fitting in the gas stations especially since I get between 5-7 mpg be stopping every 200 miles.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:58 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrucker View Post
did you stay on I-80 all the way down to Sacramento? the wind is a big concern to us, I will add a second friction sway to the hitch to help a little and drive slow.
yes, we stayed on I80 past Sacto, almost to San Francisco.
we have a 4-point Equal-i-zer WDH so i don't have to worry about any friction sway bars. our Equalizer kept our combo on the straight and narrow. it felt like the truck and trailer were one unit.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #8

Quote:
with the truck and trailer being over 50 ft long I'm a bit worried about fitting in the gas stations especially since I get between 5-7 mpg be stopping every 200 miles.
You shouldn't have a problem about gas Alot of truck stops on the route. Just make sure you check the over hang at the pumps. I pulled in 1 and the over hang was 12' and my trailer 12.8". It was in small town on 80. You will have a long pull up the grade at Park City. It's the steepest area. just stay in the right lane and go slow. I came back from California on 80. It is a very windy route, but there is nothing to stop the wind just empty fields. Also not much to see but you will see little gas stations. Trying to find diesel is harder.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #9

You can take I-84 north toward Ogden to get around the steep area on I-80 just past Park City.

Get on I-84 north just past I-80 mile marker 169
Before Ogden, take US 89 south to I-15 south to I-215 south to I-80 west just past the airport. It is about 9 miles longer than taking I-80 thru SLC.

500 miles a day is a long day.

I'd gas up in Evanston, WY at the Pilot at Exit 6, Bear River Dr, on the east side of town and drive 211 miles to West Wendover, NV for the next fill-up and not look for gas in Salt Lake City area.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
yes, we stayed on I80 past Sacto, almost to San Francisco.
we have a 4-point Equal-i-zer WDH so i don't have to worry about any friction sway bars. our Equalizer kept our combo on the straight and narrow. it felt like the truck and trailer were one unit.
I may look into a new Equal-I-zer hitch this summer, wind seems to be the main factor on I-80, thanks for the info.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
senior country vet

Thumbs up I-80 west

Quote:
We will be traveling to Tahoe from Chicago this coming October ( first two weeks ). Pulling a 30 ft coachmen with a 2012 ram 2500, gaser. The trailer is about 3500 pounds less than max tow not a problem with that I was hoping to hear from people that have climbed and dropped back down i-80 west to Salt Lake City. plus my tanks will be empty.
Sounds like a good trip! I travel west on US-40 & I-80 from Craig Co to Reno 1 or 2 times a year for close to 30 YRS. first in a MH class A 35c now a 316a toy hauler I agree with a previous post use only truck stops I use Pilot or Flying J on that route you should find them 200 miles apart or less(150 miles). My GPS tells me where they are and how far. the Evanston Wy. stop is a must for fuel. The passes on I-80 have never been a problem for us Parley summit just east of Salt Lake is quite a grade but short gear down and take your time , the west side is steep and long stay geared down to save your brakes (semi's all stay around 35 mph) I have always ran about that speed with no problems and short braking times. Fuel around Salt Lake I always go to Point of Rocks about 11 miles west of the airport with good access and no height problems. Nev most towns are 120 to 150 miles apart most with rv parks Your hardest pull would most likely be Donner Pass at the Calif. line. have a great trip

316 Vengeance TH
F350 2wd 6.2
95 heritage
Ron
highcountryCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #12

Donner Summit is a piece of cake with the Ram Diesel; have it in tow/haul as it always is with the trailer behind and can stay in the middle lane at the speed limit without dropping a gear.

I think the grade east of SLC on I-80 is steeper both up and down and much more narrow and congested.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #13

If ya ask me, when you get to 1-15 in SLC take a left and head south to Bryce Canyon and Zion N.P.s. there really isn't a reason to go further west...wink

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Forest River Forums mobile app
Sportracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportracker View Post
If ya ask me, when you get to 1-15 in SLC take a left and head south to Bryce Canyon and Zion N.P.s. there really isn't a reason to go further west...wink

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Forest River Forums mobile app
I agree, if it was up to me that is exactly what I would do, the in-laws may not be to happy with me.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
I-80 west

As Chuckinca stated,

Take I-84 north toward Ogden to get around the steep area on I-80 just past Park City.

Before Ogden, take US 89 south to I-15 south to I-215 south to I-80 west just past the airport. It is about 9 miles longer than taking I-80 thru SLC.

Thus you do not have the long down hill grade to deal with and you will
save on fuel that way and brakes as well....

I'd gas up in Evanston, WY at the Pilot at Exit 6, Bear River Dr, on the east side of town and drive 211 miles to West Wendover, NV for the next fill-up and not look for gas in Salt Lake City area.

In Wyoming you have Shermen pass out side of Cheyanne Wy which is
always windy and then Elk MT which is sort of a drag and then the three
sisters the other side of Little America...

I have been across I-80 from the east to west in past years so many
times that I can tell you almost every pot hole and crack in the pavement.
As someone said it is nice ride with lots to look at, lots of great site's and
mile after mile of boring road

Also take your time, 500 miles is a pretty good day for some people even
some truck drivers, so stop when you are feeling sleepy, take a brake
every so often
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckw5kav View Post
As Chuckinca stated,

Take I-84 north toward Ogden to get around the steep area on I-80 just past Park City.

Thus you do not have the long down hill grade to deal with and you will
save on fuel that way and brakes as well....

In Wyoming you have Shermen pass out side of Cheyanne Wy which is
always windy and then Elk MT which is sort of a drag and then the three
sisters the other side of Little America...

I have been across I-80 from the east to west in past years so many
times that I can tell you almost every pot hole and crack in the pavement.
As someone said it is nice ride with lots to look at, lots of great site's and
mile after mile of boring road

Also take your time, 500 miles is a pretty good day for some people even
some truck drivers, so stop when you are feeling sleepy, take a brake
every so often
We plan on resting at the pilot travel stations. thank you very much for the information
Old 03-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcountryCo View Post
Sounds like a good trip! I travel west on US-40 & I-80 from Craig Co to Reno 1 or 2 times a year for close to 30 YRS. first in a MH class A 35c now a 316a toy hauler I agree with a previous post use only truck stops I use Pilot or Flying J on that route you should find them 200 miles apart or less(150 miles). My GPS tells me where they are and how far. the Evanston Wy. stop is a must for fuel. The passes on I-80 have never been a problem for us Parley summit just east of Salt Lake is quite a grade but short gear down and take your time , the west side is steep and long stay geared down to save your brakes (semi's all stay around 35 mph) I have always ran about that speed with no problems and short braking times. Fuel around Salt Lake I always go to Point of Rocks about 11 miles west of the airport with good access and no height problems. Nev most towns are 120 to 150 miles apart most with rv parks Your hardest pull would most likely be Donner Pass at the Calif. line. have a great trip

316 Vengeance TH
F350 2wd 6.2
95 heritage
Ron
Thank you for the advice.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #18

Quote:
I may look into a new Equal-I-zer hitch this summer, wind seems to be the main factor on I-80, thanks for the info.

Elevation is also a major issue. Believe I read that you loose 3% of your engine power every 1000 ft of elevation. At 7K to 8K elevation in Wyoming and parts of Nevada and California you loose 21% to 24% of your power. Couple that with strong westerly winds and a heavy big box RV it's a difficult drive.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
long trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post
Elevation is also a major issue. Believe I read that you loose 3% of your engine power every 1000 ft of elevation. At 7K to 8K elevation in Wyoming and parts of Nevada and California you loose 21% to 24% of your power. Couple that with strong westerly winds and a heavy big box RV it's a difficult drive.
Even with 525 hp it can be a drag with 30/35mph headwind thru Neb. and WY Ugh
with a 53ft sail behind you Ugh done
that, got the T-shirt for many years now
that 33ft Coachmen feels like a pup on a set
of doubles behind me )

W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #20

You should be fine. Our Tundra 1/2 ton pulled our 7000-lb TT up & over that route, no problem. We were loaded for bear, too. Do watch for winds in Wyoming - they can get nasty, and crosswinds can be a problem.
catmom is offline   Reply With Quote