Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #1

I-80 west into salt lake city

We will be traveling to Tahoe from Chicago this coming October ( first two weeks ). Pulling a 30 ft coachmen with a 2012 ram 2500, gaser. The trailer is about 3500 pounds less than max tow not a problem with that I was hoping to hear from people that have climbed and dropped back down i-80 west to Salt Lake City. plus my tanks will be empty.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

we bought our Roo 23SS from a Chicago dealer and drove all the way back to Napa, on I-80 back in 2006.

the only bad spots were the Nebraska/Wyoming border, regarding very high winds and some spots thru the Rockies.
but we felt that driving thru the Rockies was easier than driving thru the Sierras. the grades weren't as steep.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
we bought our Roo 23SS from a Chicago dealer and drove all the way back to Napa, on I-80 back in 2006.

the only bad spots were the Nebraska/Wyoming border, regarding very high winds and some spots thru the Rockies.
but we felt that driving thru the Rockies was easier than driving thru the Sierras. the grades weren't as steep.
did you stay on I-80 all the way down to Sacramento? the wind is a big concern to us, I will add a second friction sway to the hitch to help a little and drive slow.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
phat phrog stunt crew

i used to travel I 80 on a near weekly basis many yrs ago. my only problem with that route was the mind numbing monotonous of it. great in the summer time for good weather. i recall it always seemed to be windy in wyoming. not sure if true or not, but it always seemed to be blowing there and pretty much only there.

west of reno, is donner pass. pretty much all down hill nearly to sacremento. that part of the trip was beautiful.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
i used to travel I 80 on a near weekly basis many yrs ago. my only problem with that route was the mind numbing monotonous of it. great in the summer time for good weather. i recall it always seemed to be windy in wyoming. not sure if true or not, but it always seemed to be blowing there and pretty much only there.

west of reno, is donner pass. pretty much all down hill nearly to sacremento. that part of the trip was beautiful.
we are looking forward to the trip, I will have to drive about 500 miles a day to make our stay worth while.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #6

with the truck and trailer being over 50 ft long I'm a bit worried about fitting in the gas stations especially since I get between 5-7 mpg be stopping every 200 miles.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:58 AM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrucker View Post
did you stay on I-80 all the way down to Sacramento? the wind is a big concern to us, I will add a second friction sway to the hitch to help a little and drive slow.
yes, we stayed on I80 past Sacto, almost to San Francisco.
we have a 4-point Equal-i-zer WDH so i don't have to worry about any friction sway bars. our Equalizer kept our combo on the straight and narrow. it felt like the truck and trailer were one unit.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrucker View Post
with the truck and trailer being over 50 ft long I'm a bit worried about fitting in the gas stations especially since I get between 5-7 mpg be stopping every 200 miles.
You shouldn't have a problem about gas Alot of truck stops on the route. Just make sure you check the over hang at the pumps. I pulled in 1 and the over hang was 12' and my trailer 12.8". It was in small town on 80. You will have a long pull up the grade at Park City. It's the steepest area. just stay in the right lane and go slow. I came back from California on 80. It is a very windy route, but there is nothing to stop the wind just empty fields. Also not much to see but you will see little gas stations. Trying to find diesel is harder.......
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #9

You can take I-84 north toward Ogden to get around the steep area on I-80 just past Park City.

Get on I-84 north just past I-80 mile marker 169
Before Ogden, take US 89 south to I-15 south to I-215 south to I-80 west just past the airport. It is about 9 miles longer than taking I-80 thru SLC.

500 miles a day is a long day.

I'd gas up in Evanston, WY at the Pilot at Exit 6, Bear River Dr, on the east side of town and drive 211 miles to West Wendover, NV for the next fill-up and not look for gas in Salt Lake City area.

2011 Rockwood Windjammer 2102W
2008 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
(the near max loaded 2006 F150 5.4L V8 would only go 55 MPH Westbound on I-80 in Wyoming . . . not good when semi's are passing you at 80 MPH)
Chuckinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
yes, we stayed on I80 past Sacto, almost to San Francisco.
we have a 4-point Equal-i-zer WDH so i don't have to worry about any friction sway bars. our Equalizer kept our combo on the straight and narrow. it felt like the truck and trailer were one unit.
I may look into a new Equal-I-zer hitch this summer, wind seems to be the main factor on I-80, thanks for the info.