Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
markb5900's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 649
I40 from east to Moab UT

Hi all,
We are planning the spring trip along with everyone else.
Hoping to be there sometime the last week of April
We will be coming across I40 from east to west and trying to decide the best place to turn north to get to the Moab area.
Looking at weather that time of year looks like maybe Gallop or go on over to Chambers AZ and take 191.
Anyone suggestions would be appreciated.
__________________

__________________
Mark B
2015 32 Foot Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2017 GMC 3/4 Ton TV
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Blackrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE Arizona's Gila Vally
Posts: 689
Both are good ways to go. The route through Chambers allows for a stop at the Ganado trading post and Canyon de Chelly at Chinle. Plan in an overnight around Gallup and this will work out well.
The road north out of Gallup is also a good way but no real scenery or interesting stops. Best way on this route is straight north thru Cortez and west to Monticello Ut.
__________________

__________________
2016 RAM 1500 - 2016 Keystone Laredo 265SRK
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
f5moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,058
Yep, 491 from Gallup up to Cortez is about as exciting as watching grass grow.
__________________
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires DELAMINATED ROOF
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Blackrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE Arizona's Gila Vally
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Yep, 491 from Gallup up to Cortez is about as exciting as watching grass grow.
Yep, that's about the way it is in that part of the country.
It all depends on if you want to hammer through to Moab or do some touristy things along the way which route to take.
__________________
2016 RAM 1500 - 2016 Keystone Laredo 265SRK
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
2003 Georgetown 325
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 94
Took the Gallup route 191 this past Thanksgiving. It is the fastest and the road has been greatly improved. Scenery not so hot but that might not be a deal breaker.
__________________
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
Hi all,
We are planning the spring trip along with everyone else.
Hoping to be there sometime the last week of April
We will be coming across I40 from east to west and trying to decide the best place to turn north to get to the Moab area.
Looking at weather that time of year looks like maybe Gallop or go on over to Chambers AZ and take 191.
Anyone suggestions would be appreciated.
Don't miss the opportunity to visit Monument Valley. Go to Flagstaff and go north on 89. Check your map, we stayed at the Goulding's RV Park just outside the monument. Nice campground with full hookups. There is a loop road through the valley that is accessible by any vehicle that will give you a good look into John Ford and John Wayne Country.

Happy Trails, Forrest
__________________
Happy Trails
fbconsults
(Forrest and Donna)
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
Don't miss the opportunity to visit Monument Valley. Go to Flagstaff and go north on 89. Check your map, we stayed at the Goulding's RV Park just outside the monument. Nice campground with full hookups. There is a loop road through the valley that is accessible by any vehicle that will give you a good look into John Ford and John Wayne Country.
Monument Valle is GREAT and really worth the Visit. But, the routing suggested of I-40 to Flagstaff to Monument Valley is quite a bit extra Travel. Heading up from I-40 at Gallup or Chambers will save almost 200mi over hitting Flagstaff.

Now, if you were to still decide on Flagstaff, you could readily add the Grand Canyon South Rim for only 50mi more...
__________________
Pup: '11 HW-296
TV: '09 RAM 1500 Hemi 4x4 CC
seigell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 81
Monument Valley can also be done as a Day Trip from Moab - 140mi each way. Monument Valley is best done in the Afternoon, if you want to drive the Loop Road amongst the Rock Formations and have them in Sunshine instead of Shadow. (Works well with the Day Trip idea, too).
__________________
Pup: '11 HW-296
TV: '09 RAM 1500 Hemi 4x4 CC
seigell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiver View Post
Took the Gallup route 191 this past Thanksgiving. It is the fastest and the road has been greatly improved. Scenery not so hot but that might not be a deal breaker.
The Highway between Gallup and Shiprock NM is 75% Divided 4-Lane, except for about 35-40 miles of 2-lane while they continue to construct the last part of the Divided Hwy. The Route North of Shiprock is still 2-Lane Hwy.

All of the older Highway Segments across the Navajo Reservation tend to be "rough" - not necessarily 100mi of potholes but rather whoop-ti-doos because the subsurface is Sand / Silt / Clay that doesn't hold a Roadbase too well. Whether Shiprock-Cortez on US491 or Chambers-Utah on US191, you'll want to ensure the Cupboard Doors are Latched...
__________________
Pup: '11 HW-296
TV: '09 RAM 1500 Hemi 4x4 CC
seigell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Yep, 491 from Gallup up to Cortez is about as exciting as watching grass grow.
Cortez give you access to Mesa Verde National Park (40mi side trip). Usually considered "worth the dull approach"...
__________________

__________________
Pup: '11 HW-296
TV: '09 RAM 1500 Hemi 4x4 CC
seigell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.