Old 05-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
I40 West end of October

Next winter we are planning to spend the winter in South Western USA. We are traveling with a motorhome Charleston of 43-foot and have a dinghy. We should leave Quebec, Canada, October 25, 2015 and expect a return in late April 2016

Our first destination, Las Vegas, Nevada for a week.
Subsequently Los Angeles for a week or two, San Diego a week and the rest of the time in Arizona (Yuma, Phoenix Region).

Leaving the Québec we will go for the I81 South to join the I40West and then the 93. Along the way, we would like to visit some places along the I40. For exemple: Memphis, TN, Santa Fe NM, Antelope and Petrified Forest, AZ

Questions: In late October early November is it hot enough to take the I40 (there is a chance of snow or ice) to visit or is it better to take the I10West which is further south.
Thanks for your advice

2015 Charleston 430FK
lacecl2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
I live 50 miles from where I81 ends and you pick up I40 just after you pick up I40 you will be close to Dollywood Park, good place to vest during Oct and Nov. Then you will hit Knoxville, Crossville and then Nashville. All have lots to do during that time line. Several nice campgrounds on I40 in all areas. I40 should be clear that time of year in Tennessee don't think you will hit any really bad weather all the way to Vegas.

Roger & Mary Forbes
Little Lady (Dog)
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Days Camping 2014-96, 2015-130, 2016-85 and counting
Forbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
I live in Southern NM -- South of I40 and North of I10, There usually isn't a problem at that time of year but weather isn't predictable. I40 will take you through Flagstaff, Az and parts of the Southern Rockies. Much of this is in elevations above 5,000 ft. I would try to be flexible and if the weather won't support the I40 route dip south to I10.
Arenablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:20 PM   #4
Santa Fe is around El 7200
Albuquerque around El 5300
Williams, AZ around El 6800
Flagstaff, AZ around El 6900

You should be alright but watch the weather in late October.

2011 Rockwood Windjammer 2102W
2008 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
(the max loaded 2006 F150 5.4L V8 would only go 55 MPH Westbound on I-80 in Wyoming)
Chuckinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
Roger and Paula
We have been that way, hit the first heavy snows at the end of October, early November. That being said, seems that the snows have been earlier lately, but the hwy dept is good about keeping I40 open. We are planning that way in early Oct.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #6
Tennessee I-40 was a pretty good road but monitor you fuel stops around Memphis, there is a dearth of truck stops until you get to West Memphis which seems to be the trucking capital of the world.

Arkansas has some rather rough areas on I-40 but they have warning signs.

They don't seem to believe in paying taxes in Oklahoma so the roads are poorly maintained and the local governments seem to be entirely funded by traffic fines.

The texas panhandle/Amarillo - stop to check out the Cadillac ranch on the west side of town, bring spray paint it's an art installation of old cadillacs buried in the ground. A couple of good RV parks nearby.

Get the Pilot app and it will give you great directions on where there are truck stops. Avoid the Pilot station on the west side of Albuquerque - horribly congested because west of there is a very vacant desert and sparse services.

Stop in Winslow AZ to take your picture on the corner where the Eagles song 'Take it easy' was inspired. There is a nice bronze statue of Neil Young and a kitschy souvenir store across the street with a lot of Eagles tshirts and stuff. Several really good truck stops for fueling.

Be sure and stop at the Petrified Forest National Park for a couple of hours driving through the park. Beautiful scenery and walking paths. It should have cooled down by October. Best early in the morning light for taking pictures.

Gallup is an interesting town - seems to be the center of Indian Jewelry industry and paradise for anyone into beading, the jewelry supply store is the size of large grocery store. If you are into crafts like that you'll love it. Lots of services and friendly Navajo folks.

Just plan ahead for fuel in New Mexico and Arizona as there are some pretty long stretches with nothing (like 60 miles or more).

Joshua tree park is pretty neat as well. Once again there are stretches of 70 miles with no services.

Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote