Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #1

June 2020 Washington and Oregon coast trip

We are starting to plan a month long trip loop starting in Denver, going north to Banff/Jasper, then heading down to the Washington and Oregon coasts and back to Denver.

March of 2019 we spent time with some friends ,who live in Portland, and stayed at a house on Tillamook Bay and really enjoyed the coast. We would like to see more of it next year, but in the camper. I really liked the idea of camping on the water and being able to fish, crab and do some clamming, hopefully all in one place.

We would like to see more of the Washington coast, but I haven't really been able to find a campground that we can fish and crab at like some of the ones at Tillamook and Nehalum Bay.

We also plan on staying somewhere on the west side of Puget Sound, maybe Fay Bainbridge Park for 4-5 days and take the ferry to Seattle for a day.

I'm wondering if maybe the Puget Sound area might be better to get our fishing a crab fix? Or another area on the Washington coast or just head back towards the Tillamook area?

Thanks
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #2

We are north of Seattle (about 90 minutes), near the Canadian border where there is fishing and crabbing "in season". What month are you looking to be here? Most people here use a boat.

Ram 2500 Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:01 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
We are north of Seattle (about 90 minutes), near the Canadian border where there is fishing and crabbing "in season". What month are you looking to be here? Most people here use a boat.

Ram 2500 Surveyor 251rks
Yep, I'm on Camano Island and our crab season this year, started Memorial Day and ends New Year's Day. I crab with a rowboat or my kayak. I only have to go out about 100 yards to drop the pots.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #4

Check Lewis & Clark Golf & RV Park in Astoria, OR.. Winchester Bay RV Resort in Winchester Bay, OR.. Crescent City/Redwoods KOA in Crescent City, CA.. Premier RV Resort, Redding, CA.. Sparks Marina RV Park in Reno, NV.. Iron Horse RV Resort in Elko, NV.. Pony Express RV Resort in Salt Lake City, UT.. If you want to stop over at Estes Park before getting home; from Salt Lake, Rawlins Western Hills Campground in Rawlins, WY and finally, Spruce Lake RV Resort in Estes Park, CO.. All of these are not 100% gems but they do have all the typical amenities with full hook-ups and the driving distances are reasonable for a leisure trip. I would suggest that you make your reservations as early as possible, especially for Oregon. There are many more places to camp along the Oregon coast and enough days should be allocated for sight seeing day trips. Happy camping.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by corocky1998 View Post
We are starting to plan a month long trip loop starting in Denver, going north to Banff/Jasper, then heading down to the Washington and Oregon coasts and back to Denver.

March of 2019 we spent time with some friends ,who live in Portland, and stayed at a house on Tillamook Bay and really enjoyed the coast. We would like to see more of it next year, but in the camper. I really liked the idea of camping on the water and being able to fish, crab and do some clamming, hopefully all in one place.

We would like to see more of the Washington coast, but I haven't really been able to find a campground that we can fish and crab at like some of the ones at Tillamook and Nehalum Bay.

We also plan on staying somewhere on the west side of Puget Sound, maybe Fay Bainbridge Park for 4-5 days and take the ferry to Seattle for a day.

I'm wondering if maybe the Puget Sound area might be better to get our fishing a crab fix? Or another area on the Washington coast or just head back towards the Tillamook area?

Thanks
I live on Puget Sound. There are plenty of state parks right on the water here. Yeah, plenty. It is best to make your reservations early and the park system lets you do that 9 months out. If you're planning on staying over a major holiday, you'd better be at your keyboard when that window opens up as the best parks get reserved very, very quickly.

Parks on the west side are Fort Flagler and Fort Worden (former coastal artillery sites), Dosewallips, Sequim Bay, among others. These are all about an hour and a half from the Bainbridge Island ferry to Seattle (a 30-minute ride). Fay Bainbridge, as you know, is only about 20 minutes from the ferry. If you want to take your trailer on a ferry, be sure to get a loan from your bank first.

And, yes, crabbing on Puget Sound or around my neck of the woods (Seabeck) is pretty good. I have friends that do it commercially.

Here is a link to the park system: https://washington.goingtocamp.com/

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #6

Smile

In Tillamook, try Netarts Bay RV Park and Marina. you can launch a boat, rent a boat. Can crab (they will cook for you) and get clams. Been going there for years. full hook ups. Older park but well kept and good people. Lots of people go there for the season.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncebeemer View Post
In Tillamook, try Netarts Bay RV Park and Marina. you can launch a boat, rent a boat. Can crab (they will cook for you) and get clams. Been going there for years. full hook ups. Older park but well kept and good people. Lots of people go there for the season.

You will need to make a reservation well in advance for this CG. It is very popular. We were there last week and already have a reservation for next year.
As said, they will rent you a crabbing boat with everything needed to catch crabs, and they have a very nice crab cleaning station.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #8

Thanks for all the information, it's probably going to take me a while to sift through all the choices.

We are planning on going in June, not sure of exact dates yet.
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #9

Twin Harbors State Park is near Westport, WA. It's on the beach, and you should be able to dig for razor clams in the spring. Crab season is open year round out there. Many people put pots in at the breakwater at the marina in Westport. There's also a good place on the docks to buy them, as well as oysters and several species of fresh fish. Fishing charters leave form the marina daily. There may also be some private campgrounds, but I'm not sure which ones are on the beach.
Rightseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:08 PM   #10
Fla5er

We hope that you have a wonderful trip!

We're leaving Florida around the 20th of May, 2020, and our first 'major' destination is The Rocky Mountain National Park, then on to Glacier, (due to time constraints we can't do Banff), then to the Oregon coast, then on to Lake Tahoe, then back into Colorado (our favorite state), then on our way back home. Planning on being on the road approx. 10 weeks.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washington