Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2017, 11:54 PM   #1

Lake View Campground Big Horn NF, Wyo.

Thinking of spending a few nights at the Lake View Campground in Big Horn National Forest, Wyoming. We would be there in late June, travelling up from Laramie after picking up our son from the University, through Casper, then Big Horn. We pull a 41 ft Saber 5th wheel with a Chevy 2500 HD diesel Duramax 4x4. Maps show two ways in; one taking 25N to 16W, the other takes 25N but goes through Crazy Woman Canyon. Wondering what kind of road off 16W it is into the campground--how steep, etc. I'm thinking the Canyon drive may be tricky with the 5'er, and best done once we park her. Also wondering about the campground itself if you have any tips. I would also like to take in the town of Buffalo and am torn between the private campgrounds there that have great reviews on Good Sam. We would have to run our fridge off the propane or buy a generator to use, since Big Horn site is non-electric.
TravellinLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #2

You have me confused with you going to Big Horn. That's more north and out of Sheridan. As for Crazy Woman Canyon I don't think that is your best route. Buffalo is pretty small but has all the necessities you will need. Hwy 16 over to Lakeview CG is a good road with a couple climbs but nothing bad.
I have never been into that CG but driving by I don't remember anything steep going in.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #3

Can't help with the routing since I pull a popup with a PU and I have no problems with any inclines, but it is a nice campground, generally quiet and recommend site 6 for full shade most of the day.

Some great hiking trails and even an old fire lookout near the lake.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #4

Thanks. The reason I mention Big Horn is because the campground is in Big Horn National Forest.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #6

Big horn

The only route not to take is Alternate 14, eastward into the Big Horn Mountains is VERY steep. Going down traveling westward is frightening too. Highway 16 and regular 14 will be no problem, not as steep.
dmlranhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #7

I wish I had a smaller camper as I would like to camp at Bald Mountain campground but pulling a camper up 14A is not for the faint of heart. We go up there to a Indian medicine wheel, it sure is pretty up there
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
Boondocking Only

Do NOT take Crazy Women Canyon! If it's the campground by Meadowlark Lake go through Buffalo & you will be fine.
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #9

Totally agree with ddbck. Crazy Woman Canyon is really cool but no way to get through with a 41' 5th Wheel. It is gravel /dirt one lane in most spots. 16 is pretty steep out of Buffalo but not impossible. Lake View is a pretty campground but close to the highway. We like Sitting Bull better.
WY Husker Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #10

Lake View Campground

Wyoming Hwy 16 has commercial trucks on it all the time. There are grade warning signs to slow down for. One truck escape ramp going into Buffalo from the Lake. Slow down and you'll have no problems. Note the Runaway truck ramp on U.S. Highway 16 near mile post 85 is the most used in the world.

The camp ground roads are gravel. Best to pre walk the campground with bigger rigs to avoid any problems.
cdbonnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #11

Thanks for the "pre-walking" the campground tip! Have done the mountain driving in our car and van, but not with the rig. Have done some steep grades on Rte I-81 and 7 mile mountain in PA with the 5'er. Glad we have the diesel exhaust brakes as well.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #12

Yep, read up on the Canyon, so I knew better than to go through that with the rig.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #13

Oh, I love Medicine Wheel, too! This summer it will be 4 yrs since we were there. It's an incredible spot.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #14

Thank you. I thought they looked close to the road by some of the thumbnail photos that the road is close thanks for confirming. Liking the look of the sites in the pines at Southfork; they look more private.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
The sign looks bad, but I used low gear and hardly touched the breaks. We had a nice time walking around Buffalo, there is an old hotel/bar downtown, well worth a quick tour and a drink.

Warning sign along Route 16 East into Buffalo, Wyoming from Bighorn National Forrest
by cdrdwd, on Flickr
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg