Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #1

Laramie, WY to Grand Lake, CO

Has anyone traveled from Laramie,WY to Grand Lake, CO? If so, what highways did you take? We do not want to travel on roads with "switch backs". Thanks.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #2

We went from grand lake to rmnp near estees park. Took the alpine pass. From estees park went to black hills you could take 287. We took 25 and worked our way north. I am not sure of 287 and what kind of tt it can take. Do have to recommend while you are in grand lake go to grand lake brewery and have a Wooley booger beer if your a beer drinker. I love that stuff.
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Wanderluster

Bummer you don't want curvey mountain driving as you will miss some really great scenery however...

From Laramie, going south on US 287 to Ft Collins, then I-25 to I-76 to I-70 westbound at Denver will get you over the continental divide with about the fewest curves to deal with. There are substantial grades on these roads.

If you want to avoid switchbacks, don't go on US 40 over Berthoud Pass... lots of switchbacks on that road till you get to Winter Park, then it's a cakewalk.

By going through the I70 tunnels, you can get to GL via Colorado route 9 at Silverthorne to Kremling. There are plenty of curves on this road, but not a lot of switchbacks. It is definately the long way, but you set the road requirements.

If it was me, I'd head out of Laramie on Wyoming state highway 230 to Colorado highway 125 north of Walden. Stay on CO 125 'till US 40 near Grandy, go east on 40 to US 34 then north to Grand Lake. This route misses Denver and the entire front range traffic nightmare. It is mountain driving and if you are uncomfortable, I guess a heavy traffic route is your best choice.

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote