Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #21
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
Short answer...I suggest you try a few different places in Arizona. Bullhead City area is hot, dry, and full of places to 4-wheel. Mesa/Apache Junction is big city living and expensive and crowded with lots of activities. Yuma is warmer and windy and a lot cheaper. Tucson is full of history, hiking, and science, and mid-priced RV parks. A lot of smaller towns are inexpensive with not so much to do. I retired here in 2001 and have seen it all. Tucson, where I am now, is my favorite. PS...if you think traffic in Phoenix Metro is bad, try Denver or Seattle.

I haven’t had the pleasure of battling Phoenix traffic but I have Seattle, Portland, Denver, Chicago, Indianapolis, Dallas, Houston and New York. No thanks, I’ve had enough of the big city life. It nice for a day or two but..... I’m thinking that we will explore Arizona when we go, maybe for a couple of years even! Activities in a park are not a big draw for us, yet. It might be more so as we get older. We might bring our bicycles to ride around on and a pool would be good as well. Exploring an area and visiting sites and hiking in milder conditions, not mountains but trails, appeals to us. I’ve had too many football knee injuries and repairs to do much in rough terrain. Thanks for your information!
Old 12-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awilson View Post
DW and I are contemplating going down to Mesa/Yuma area to determine if we are interested in staying there after we travel around a bit. I’ve had so many different stories about AZ we don’t know what to think. We've been to Florida so we are pretty familiar there as well as Texas but it does not make me an expert by any stretch so I guess it’s really between those three. If you winter over in these states I would love to hear your good, bad and ugly.

Tia
Alan
Much good information in this thread.

Not to be a down-sider, the wife and I have been in and out of AZ since 1971; altogether, about 20+ years. We have lived in Phoenix and Cordes Lakes, (central AZ off the I-17). We have traveled the entire state and RVed most of it.

We finally left in July of this year due to the changing environment in central AZ.

1. Our gardens continually declined.
2. The no-see-ums, (tiny mosquito like insects that you cannot see with the naked eye and cause large welts), were becoming intolerable.
3. Fires, (approx 35,000 acres burned 10 miles north of us), (approx 50,000 acres burned 15-35 miles east of us), and a serious fire in the hills, within our 2500 family community which took almost a week to put out, thanks to the incredible work of the AZ Fire fighting teams).
4. Floods

Remember, AZ has an abundance of life threating creatures, (rattle snakes, black widow and brown recluse spiders, scorpions, and various plants that make life most uncomfortable, (wait-a-bit bushes, jumping cactus, filigree, goat-heads, crown of thorns to name just a few)

Basically, wherever you plan to go or plan to stay a while, know your surroundings and keep an eye on the weather. AZ can be unforgiving during the monsoons and fire seasons.
Just me and the Wife
emeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #23
Dahagen

You sound perfect for my present location...Desert Trails RV park in Tucson. Hiking, biking, why we even have a shooting club.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #24

Arizona

This is my first rv trip to Arizona. Lived in 4 Midwest states including 3 different times in the beautiful U.P. of Michigan. Winters there can be brutal. Hated Chicago. Avoid it if possible!
Any suggestions on a cooler area for the summer months? I’m a full timer now and would love a quiet and secluded area within a five hour drive from southern Arizona. Many thanks for any suggestions!
Kattwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattwo View Post
This is my first rv trip to Arizona. Lived in 4 Midwest states including 3 different times in the beautiful U.P. of Michigan. Winters there can be brutal. Hated Chicago. Avoid it if possible!
Any suggestions on a cooler area for the summer months? I’m a full timer now and would love a quiet and secluded area within a five hour drive from southern Arizona. Many thanks for any suggestions!
Flagstaff for cooler temps in the summer, lots to see, (Indian ruins, petroglyphs, Grand Canyon, Colorado River, etc.), the Arizona Strip, north of the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon etc.)
Just me and the Wife
emeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattwo View Post
We live in Lake Havasu, AZ and spend a lot of time in Williams,AZ. Really fun Route 66 town. Plenty of campgrounds and boondock areas.
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #27
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Thanks for all tips and information! We are going to digest the incredible amount of information we have received. Thank you all! Love it! Chicago only by air, train or taxi and only if necessary. You could get killed there!
Old 12-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awilson View Post
Do any of you go to Mexico to visit? I went over many times when we were in Texas but the constant blowing of the wind down there was a complete turnoff. We enjoyed the food there and the warm friendly people there. Maybe when we come I can take a look at the oceanfront properties there. [emoji6]
Several RVing friends of ours from the western suburbs of Denver spend at least part of every winter in Puerto Penasco, Mexico. It is on the northeastern end of the Gulf of California and only 65 miles south of Lukeville, AZ. They stay in an RV park right on the beach, eat fish bought right off the fishing boat, shop in the local markets, have their dental work done, and get their toads repaired/painted to match their motorhomes, all for many fewer $$$ than in the US. We haven't joined them (yet!) because we are still enjoying traveling around to different places each winter, but it is tempting.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #29

We moved here from Wisconsin 7 years ago (bought a house), When it gets HOT in the summer is when we do our traveling (yeh it's a dry heat but it's still HOT!) we live north east of Phoenix (more country) Phoenix is a big city environment, lots of traffic! Just keep in mind anyplace you might like also has a lot of snowbirds that like it! Yuma area has a lot of people that like to go to Mexico shopping, doctors etc. If you like more of the "cooler seasons" then north of central AZ. is best. Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point), Mexico is a 5 hour drive from us, (been there many times) can be very pleasant but have never camped there (MOST US car insurance doesn't cover you in Mexico) As has been said, depending on where you are the weather and surrounding can be quite diverse, so plan on checking it out, we have never been sorry we moved, every morning is sun shine, and almost never rains. Hope you enjoy Arizona.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #30
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandem54 View Post
We moved here from Wisconsin 7 years ago (bought a house), When it gets HOT in the summer is when we do our traveling (yeh it's a dry heat but it's still HOT!) we live north east of Phoenix (more country) Phoenix is a big city environment, lots of traffic! Just keep in mind anyplace you might like also has a lot of snowbirds that like it! Yuma area has a lot of people that like to go to Mexico shopping, doctors etc. If you like more of the "cooler seasons" then north of central AZ. is best. Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point), Mexico is a 5 hour drive from us, (been there many times) can be very pleasant but have never camped there (MOST US car insurance doesn't cover you in Mexico) As has been said, depending on where you are the weather and surrounding can be quite diverse, so plan on checking it out, we have never been sorry we moved, every morning is sun shine, and almost never rains. Hope you enjoy Arizona.
Lol! It’s a dry heat! I heard that same thing when I took a contract job in Africa. 115 to 125 every freaking day! May be dry but when you go to bed at 10 PM and it’s still over 100 you really don’t care if it is dry. Pretty sure my insurance wouldn’t be any good down there but we did enjoy going across the border. I appreciate your take on AZ and locations. 👍
Old 12-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #31
woodguy

Hi OldGal3 Also full time Wickenburg AZ. alsdas88 pretty much got it right. Arizona is a very diverse state, going from desert to Flagstaff with real snow, skiing. Wickenburg is close enough to live away from it all. 30 to 45 minutes to the big city, but a small town (Rodeo capital of the State, if not the US) Lots to do Back door currently open with great temps today. :}
Old 12-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #32

Prioritize

DW and I alternate between Florida and Arizona. AZ has lots of activities for tennis/pickleball/atv/dirt bikes. Florida is where we fish, ride the Harley, & hit the beaches. We stay outside Yuma in Wellton - $300.00 a month- , shop in Mexico (plus 300 cheap dentists in Algodones- some are great!) explore the desert, make expeditions to Tombstone, Bisbee, Phoenix and San Diego. Big thing to consider is "Who are your neighbors" because the quality of the stay can be very dependent on who your neighbors are. Pick a place to stay where there are activities you like, and stay active!
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #33
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdT View Post
DW and I alternate between Florida and Arizona. AZ has lots of activities for tennis/pickleball/atv/dirt bikes. Florida is where we fish, ride the Harley, & hit the beaches. We stay outside Yuma in Wellton - $300.00 a month- , shop in Mexico (plus 300 cheap dentists in Algodones- some are great!) explore the desert, make expeditions to Tombstone, Bisbee, Phoenix and San Diego. Big thing to consider is "Who are your neighbors" because the quality of the stay can be very dependent on who your neighbors are. Pick a place to stay where there are activities you like, and stay active!

Do you mind telling me what park in Wellton? I am going to try and set up a month stay in some of the various locations recommended. We are from a small town and prefer the small town atmosphere.

Thanks,
Alan