Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax View Post
Yeah, there are 41 state parks.
10 parks Full hookups. Sewer/water/Elec
24 Electric
30 basic
Let's see. My 2nd grade arithmetic says 10 + 24 + 30 = 64, not 41.

Since I have stayed in most of the state parks with any kind of hookup, I would think that many of those parks have multiple campgrounds--some with hookups and some without. For example, Ridgway State Park, one of our favorites, has one FHU campground below the dam, two 30/50A electric hookup campgrounds with numerous water spigots and a dump, and one "primitive" campground without hookups. That's 4 campgrounds at one state park, with a wide range of choices, since not everyone wants the same kind of campground or wants to pay for amenities that they won't use.

And from what I remember, having grown up in Texas, not too many Texas state parks are located at 8,000' in a mountain valley that gets 8' of snow every winter and freezes to a depth of 6 feet. Might just be a little harder and more expensive to build and maintain a water system for 200 campsites at that elevation than one at 600' above sea level in central Texas, don't you think?

So, if Texas has so much better state park camping than Colorado, maybe you should just stay there to camp this summer in 105 degree heat and 90% humidity. Personally I'll take 75 degree days, 50 degree nights, and 20% humidity in the Colorado mountains any day!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #22

'nice' is so subjective, what exactly do you 'mean' by nice? you'll have to find some more 'details' to share that will enlighten us to your desires....
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
Let's see. My 2nd grade arithmetic says 10 + 24 + 30 = 64, not 41.

Since I have stayed in most of the state parks with any kind of hookup, I would think that many of those parks have multiple campgrounds--some with hookups and some without. For example, Ridgway State Park, one of our favorites, has one FHU campground below the dam, two 30/50A electric hookup campgrounds with numerous water spigots and a dump, and one "primitive" campground without hookups. That's 4 campgrounds at one state park, with a wide range of choices, since not everyone wants the same kind of campground or wants to pay for amenities that they won't use.

And from what I remember, having grown up in Texas, not too many Texas state parks are located at 8,000' in a mountain valley that gets 8' of snow every winter and freezes to a depth of 6 feet. Might just be a little harder and more expensive to build and maintain a water system for 200 campsites at that elevation than one at 600' above sea level in central Texas, don't you think?

So, if Texas has so much better state park camping than Colorado, maybe you should just stay there to camp this summer in 105 degree heat and 90% humidity. Personally I'll take 75 degree days, 50 degree nights, and 20% humidity in the Colorado mountains any day!
Ok. Thanks. Colorado facilities and rec page lists 47 state parks, Wikipedia says 41. Never said didnt like your state. Don't trip.
We'll be in Vail in August, staying in leadville, stop by and we discuss my 2nd grade arithmetic.
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
There are some National Park campgrounds that have electric only sites.

My favorite one is up Poudre Canyon called Jack's Gulch...

It is up Pingree Park Road (dirt road with a lot of chatter bumps) about eight miles and has three camping loops, but only one of them has electric.

First come first serve sites...no online reservations!

Here are some shots from like 15 years or so ago up there...
You can definitely tell this picture was 15 years ago. The trees look way to pretty. Unfortunately they're not near as pretty these days with all of the beetle kill.
uncbearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #25

FANRGS-

I see you might need some help.
10 out of 47 or have full hookups
24 out of 47 have electric
30 out of 47 are basic.

Weed. Bad.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #26

Wow. I simply wanted to point out that most state parks in Colorado DO have hookups contrary to the statement made otherwise - NOT start an all-out math war.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife & Wikipedia agree - 41 state parks.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/ParksBrochureWeb.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...do_state_parks

Wikipedia mentions one more in development (anyone know anything about that? Am going to have to look that up!). 6 of those are DAY USE ONLY and can hardly be counted in the "no hookups" number. 26 of the 35 that offer camping have electric and/or full hookups. Of course the number with no hookups + electric hookups + FHU isn't going to add up to 35 because most of them offer more than one option. Sheesh.

Of course none of this helps the OP in his/her original request (sorry Whalenss for completely hijacking your thread!), but fangrs - since you've been to most of them and I know you've definitely done your fair share of Colorado camping based on your blog (which is great) - what are some of your favorite state parks for camping? We've stayed at about a half dozen of them (and I'm always surprised by how nice the sites are - even though we tend to prefer dispersed camping, in general), so have many more to explore...
2019 Days Camped: 5, but many more planned!
Maman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #27

No war is being waged. Just correcting someone who misunderstood.
Camp on.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #28

Hijacked!

Ok, so I waited sometime before hijacking this thread. I didn't want to start a new one because this is very close to what I am looking for.

I've read through this but didn't see quite what I'm looking for. Planning a trip to RMNP next year. Coming from Western NY with a stop in Cedar Rapids IA. Looking for a place North of Denver (Loveland ?) or in the NP it's self.

I've looked and see several but nothing that has great reviews. So details of what I am looking for...

- Power would be nice, but not needed as I have solar and good size tanks
(So if no power semi open would be nice)
- Nice scenery
(A view would be nice or a great campground setting)
- Will be exploring the NP and surrounding area
- Reservation online or in advance
- 33ft 5'er

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks for the help. Let me know if more information is needed.

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote