Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 12:16 PM   #1

Looking for Quartszite Tips

Hi,

I'm planning on being in Quartszite from mid January to early March, more or less. This will be my first time there. I have a 33RL Silverback with a decent solar system, and have boondocked before.

I've done the usual Google searches, and am sort of trending toward the Dome Rock area. But I'm wondering if anyone on this forum could give me their tips, hints, insights, recommendations, and so forth.

Thanks in advance.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #2

Hi,

Nobody been to Quartzsite lately?

Rich
Old 10-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #3

no but any info you got drop it off . i'm interested myself have done the FL thing now for the 2nd year and quite frankly getting sick of Fl all ready and have 5 months to go
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #4

Heres what I do.

I go with a bunch of friends every year for the RV show. There is also a Bluegrass Festival that same weekend in Blyth about 30 miles West of Quartzsite. We stay just Plomosa Rd off Hwy 95 on BLM land. Plomosa Rd is about 5 miles North on Hwy 95 towards Parker AZ. We live in AZ so we only do the week thing. The RV show is a lot of fun and the camping in my opinion is great. One of the few places left you can have fires. The night skies are just wonderful. Gets cool at night. There is a facility just out of town on Hwy 95 where you can dump and fill with water. Well that is more info than you asked for. Really don't know if you want folks around you or not. The camping we do is fairly clear of people. That is until we get there.

Enjoy your time in this beautiful state........

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #5

Take a look at the YouTube videos on this channel. Lots of info here.
https://m.youtube.com/?#/channel/UCY...A1YjkqvaUinT0Q
Old 10-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #6

Hi Rich,

Sorry, I won't be of much help. I too look forward to experiencing Quartzite but have never been. Here are a couple of sites I've enjoyed with discussions on what to expect. You may have already run across them, but if not.... good hunting.

Kim

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tQbf_qOAtZlpNc

Boondocking Site Review – Plomosa Road, Quartzsite, AZ – Wheeling It

https://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/2...de-quartzsite/ They've stayed at a few other sites in and around Quartzite. Browse their blog for additional reviews.
Pullrite #2700 Superslider
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 2X2 diesel
2016 - 41 days (2,800 miles)

kejorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:01 AM   #7

Everybody should do Quartzsite at least once. Once was enough for us. We planned on staying at least a month, but only made it about 10 days. LOTS of folks there, and lines for everything. But very interesting.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #8

There is a LTVA area south of town on 95 that has water and a dump. Longer term folks seem to like it best. Beware of small dogs and coyotes. A friends Maltese dog was snatched by a coyote right out in the middle of things.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #9

Quartzite

I have stayed at Quartzite a few times. Free 14 day camping south of town. Longer than that is $180 dollars for the season. I have never stayed west of town. My memory says that area is hilly and not so many camping sites. That may make for less congestion though. The areas south of town are miles and miles of flat gravel with occasional washes. After Christmas the place is packed. Campers everywhere as far as the eye can see. There is a pretty efficient dump station in town and one of the BLM long term campgrounds also has a dump station. Campground rules were enforced at least once when I was there. Neighbor got a $150 fine for letting his dog run from his car to his camper at 10:00 pm. I will be there in December as there is an active radio controlled airplane group in town and I have thought about taking up that hobby for a long time. I also might go to the amateur radio convention in January if I decide to put up with the crowds. My wife's brother in law also wants to go to the gem and mineral show and we may try camping north of town as we have never done that yet. If you have specific questions feel free to ask.
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Dahagen

BLM camping

As someone else has mentioned...do it once. I did and enjoyed it but probably won't go back. If you stay on the BLM long term lands (if I remember right it was 93 million acres) make sure you buy the short term pass for two weeks ($40) or the long term pass for ($160 ?) so you can use the BLM dump site and water fill. They do have people checking passes. In my time there I never saw a ranger and it is dispersed camping where you park anywhere you want but you must be away from other campers unless you are buddies. Go for it.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #11

Hi,

Thanks to all.

I've done a fair amount of Internet research already, and I'm still in the general information gathering stage. But if there is one issue, it might be whether the honey wagons go out in the unorganized areas like Dome, whether they also deliver water, and how much they charge.

It's going to be just me almost the entire time. So I'm not going to need to dump often, or tank up on water as often as when my wife is travelling with me. My provisional thinking was that if I arrived with empty waste tanks and full water, I might be able to go two weeks at a time before dumping and re-watering.

Along those lines, are there places I can take empty water jugs to fill them and take back to my camp?

Thanks.

Rich
Old 10-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Last year we stayed on the BLM land that is just behind the RV Show tent. We were close enough that we walked over to the RV show and into town.

Simplest method for us was to stop at the little office bldg. for that BLM (find the RV Show tent then take the road behind it, signs for the BLM office are clear). Pay the $40 for 2 weeks (or the $180 for 4 months) then pull back out onto the same road and go down to the dump station. Dump stations are on the right of the road, water fill stations are on the left, get in the water fill line and filler' up then go on back to where the BLM office was and continue past the office into the land of trailers. Pick any spot you want, just try not to get too close to someone (unless of course you are joining a group).

We stayed about 5 days and really that was plenty. It was our first time there and we didn't really get connected with any of the groups (so I think we missed some of the partying). At the end of the 5 days we pulled out, went to the dump stations, and continued on to Yuma where we stayed 10 days.

My water lasted so I never needed a fill-up (you can arrange to have someone fill you just as you can arrange to have someone bring a truck and suck out your black tank, we didn't need it). Be sure to fill your propane tanks in town. The going rate $1.95 a gallon is super cheap (2 thirty pound tanks is 14 gallons when empty, 2 twenty pound tanks is 10 gal. when empty). It's cool in the desert at night and in the early morn so we did run the furnace. In 5 days I think I used about 5 gals of propane.

I'm not solar ready so I used my generator. Running the gen about 2 hrs in the morning and about 2 hours at night was sufficient. The desert is so spread out, I can honestly say I hardly heard anyone elses generator and when I ran mine and walked a few spots away you could barely hear it (Champion 3100 Inverter).

Conclusion: Everyone should go at least once for about a short week.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:09 PM   #13

Hi All,

This is great information -- thanks. A couple of leftover questions.

1. Do the "honey wagons" come out into the more remate boondocking areas, if so how would they locate you, and what do they charge?

2. Can I get diesel vehicle service -- like an oil/filter change -- in town, or would I have to go to Yuma or some other larger town?

3. How do they enforce the 25 mile/14 day rule between camping areas, and how rigidly is it enforced?

Thanks.

Rich Phillips
Old 10-30-2016, 11:37 PM   #14
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi All,

This is great information -- thanks. A couple of leftover questions.

1. Do the "honey wagons" come out into the more remate boondocking areas, if so how would they locate you, and what do they charge? ANS: You can call them to ask.

2. Can I get diesel vehicle service -- like an oil/filter change -- in town, or would I have to go to Yuma or some other larger town? ANS: Lot of service places in Quartzite should be no prob.

3. How do they enforce the 25 mile/14 day rule between camping areas, and how rigidly is it enforced? ANS: Dont know about 25mi rule but do know remote sites have camp hosts that check your sticker for dates.

Thanks.

Rich Phillips
See ANS: inserted above
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:19 PM   #15

We have been there a couple of times - 10 days max. First time stayed just off I10 and way too noisy! When we returned from touring around, we moved north on 95 to second road which is paved. Very quiet! Lots of space. Gets very very busy come the RV Show time dates so we went a week early, did our shopping, etc. and left town the day the "big" tent opened! Way too many people for us! Used the Pit Stop for propane, dumping & water when needed. Picked up water by the gallon or 5 gal. container when we went in to town just to keep topped up. Is quite the experience and worth doing it once. Used our generator as needed and solar panel kept batteries up - good old AZ sunshine really works!! We take this type of camping as a challenge!
janice parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #16

Thumbs up Snowbirds

Plan on being in Quartzsite in January. Its a lot of fun. Silly Al's has great pizza.
Have fun and be safe.
irisnwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #17

Just a little heads up if you have desert �� buggy you better bring it or you want be in the loop!
And nobody wants to talk to you!
This is our first time here and planning on staying for the show just to say "we been there got the tee shirt" ��
camperone is offline   Reply With Quote