Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #1

Looking for RV Park near Yellowstone/Tetons

We had reservations at Flagg ranch but with the recent fires, the park has been shut down for the season. We are looking for a good park centrally located to Yellowstone and Teton Parks. Colter Bay Rv park is full and the Fireside resort has horrible reviews. Anyone have any recommendations?

HalfBubbleOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:04 AM   #2

We had the same issue last week. The fire kicked us out of the Head Waters Camp. We ended up staying at Gros Venture close to Jackson. Great park with lots of space and nature. We chose to dry camp for two nights while we did the Grand Tetons and enjoyed the fun of Jackson.

We then moved to Henry's Lake State Park which is about 13 miles west of West Yellowstone. This is a beautiful place if you really enjoy camping with great views of mountains, the lake, and even a moose sighting. It is a long drive into Yellowstone. I would say an hour one way to the Old Faithful area. It is a beautiful drive especially early in the morning.

We choose to go around the Grand Tetons from Gros Venture to Henrys Lake so we see some of the sights on the west side of the mountains. If I were to do it again, I would have gone through the south entrance to Yellowstone and made a day of it as we traveled to Henrys Lake.

As you can see, we really dont care for cramped private parks. Hope this helps even though it doesn't get the good strategic location of Flagg. Good luck!

2014 378 xl
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ
jeffv003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #3

And lightening started three new, BUT SMALL, fires in Teton over the weekend. At this time they are suppressed and hopefully; will remain so!

Also the Beartooth parkway has been closed on the Wyoming side with wet snow coming down on the MT side. I'm sure it will be open soon since the cold weather and moisture is leaving.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

The Beartooth is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #5

we stayed at Grizzly in West Yellowstone on the Yellowstone portion of our trip, but Colter Bay at Grand Teton. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #6

Not really close to the area that you are wanting, but would still recommend Yellowstone's Edge on the north side of the park. Very nice, clean, wonderful owners and beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13620814_10153792137670677_3687059018933889128_n.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	119660  

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #7
drojr

Stayed at the KOA in Dubois Wyoming went to Teton/Yellowstone and down to Jackson Hole.
droilerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #8

I agree that Yellowstone Edge is a very nice park but is 35 miles north. We also stayed in Gardiner at Rocky Mtn RV Park and liked it. I picked up 5 nights in Grant Campground a week before we arrived just by watching availability in the early morning around 8 -10 am. We drove to the Tetons from there easily. West Yellowstone is more developed than Gardiner but was looked very nice.
pvanderhulst is offline   Reply With Quote