Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

Maiden voyage with our new Class C this weekend

Heading to Westport Beach RV Park & Campground this weekend for our maiden RV voyage. This will give us a better feel for our 2 week excursion to Southern California and Arizona.

Should be interesting and fun. Everyone is excited.
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #2

Maiden RV voyage complete

We had our maiden voyage this last week. All in all it was a good shakedown trip in preparation for our 2 week trip
3 days Anaheim for Disneyland -> 4 days in Surprise Arizona to visit relatives -> 3 days Malibu beach – > 3 days near Yosemite
We learned a few things this trip
- Wife was using the sink like at home and filled the grey tank quickly- had to dump it twice
- 4 year old toddler got a kick out of flushing the toilet – had to dump the black mid trip
- wife and kids get car sick on windy roads so on the way back I found a route that wasn’t so windy even though it added a little more distance
- I got about 7.5 to 8 MPG, better on the way back. The windy up and down hill roads took a toll
It was a good trip. 13 year old daughter got sick on the second day so she was a pain but we survived. The camp site was ok. They stated they had free wifi on their web site but it was only free for 4 hrs a day and at a horrible 50kbs speed. Not really wifi more like 1990 dialup. We also didn’t have ATT signal at all so the teenagers had a little fit not being able to connect with friends. If the camp site had been honest about the wifi I would have made other arrangements.
I had loaded a number of movies onto my HP slate to stream to my Roku via Plex so we had entertainment at night. Temp was nice, did get a little sun burned and need to remember even if it’s overcast to put on sunblock.
what I learned:
- Need stabilizing jacks otherwise the teens will keep us up all night. Ordered them on Amazon and plan on installing them before we head to Disneyland
- Need to just plug in the sewer hose and leave it so i don’t have to clean it every time I dump grey
- we needed a large area rug to keep the sand out. Bought it on our way back from the trip for next time
We had a nice time. The Kids had fun playing in the sand and exploring.
The next trip will be much longer about 2k miles. Hopefully the in-laws have a garage circuit I can use for the AC. Might consider bringing a few parts just in case and install a 30amp circuit. It’s going to be 108-110 while we are there uggg.

I posted pictures of our last trip if anyone is interested.

WestPort-RV-camping-Trip-June/
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c