Old 02-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Michigan to Colorado

We are going from southern Michigan to Winter Park area - Colorado this summer with our trailer (as long as the TV we are looking at next week is what we think we need) My question- This will be our first trip out of State with the trailer. All other trips have been two hour max in state. A few longer trips when we had a little pop up before the upgrade. Would it be realistic to think trip segments of about 9-10 hours of drive. If that is a realistic goal should we plan on staying in campgrounds on the way which the first stop would be about middle of Iowa. I have heard of people stopping and staying in Wal-Mart parking lots. What do others do. Our Rockwood 8316 would be equipped to stay just about anywhere. On the way there and back we don't want to stop as we want to enjoy Colorado as much as possible once there. Just looking for some novice advice on we will call our families first long distance travel trailer experience. Trip planning with a trailer seems to be a little bit more detailed than hopping in a car and finding a hotel room when you’re tired.

campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
It depends how old you are, and if you both drive.
When we were young(er), we would go to Colorado non-stop, about 32 hours. But we were usually so tired it took a full day to recover. So we don't push it any more.
9 to 10 hours of actual driving will equal around 12 hours total, which is long enough. We try to stay at campgrounds, as there are lots available. With the economy the way it is, crime seems to be an increasing worry, and I have heard of a more than a few campers getting robbed at WalMarts, a few ending up getting killed. I'd rather [pay a few bucks and feel safe.
Also be careful at rest-stops, especially at night.

crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
The first thing I would do is buy a copy of either Woodall’s Campground Directory or the Trailer Life Campground Directory. Either one is a great source for finding campgrounds and RV parks along your route.

Since your trailer is a bunk model I take it for granted you have kids. Will they be able to handle 9 or 10 hours of driving per day? Also, regardless of how long you drive, I would make a point of staying in a kid friendly campground or RV park along the way instead of Walmarts, rest stops, or truck stops.

Here's something to consider, before you go to Colorado, why not plan a weekend trip to a destination that is six hours away? It will give you a feel for how the family can deal with a long day of driving.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote