Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Moab in October?

We've had to delay our trip for a few weeks because our boxer boy, Cody, is undergoing TPLO tomorrow (8-20) and will need at least 6 weeks and possibly 8 of a very strict/rest exercise regimen which does NOT include stairs. TPLO is a surgery where the stifle (knee) is modified to provide a stable joint.

We had planned to be in the Moab area in late September and try some of the Jeep trails thinking that we'd not be too likely to have bad weather on I-70 through the Rockies. Since we're going to wait a few weeks, we'll be crossing the Rockies sometime during the 1st couple of weeks of October.

We'd like to go into the La Sal Mountains as well as some of the easy trails around Moab. Maybe if we can hook up with others, we'd be brave enough to try some moderate trails. I did get the 4-Wheelers Bible & have the book by Wells which provide a lot of info. The other book that was recommended must be out of print.

Obviously, the weather anywhere cannot be guaranteed (especially this year) but I just wondered if we'd be likely to drive through snow there or through the Rockies.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
I have been in the Norhtern Rockies several time in the fall and the Colorado Rockies once in the Oct. time frame. You should not have to worry about snow. That said, it is the Rockies and any type of weather can happen. I would head out and enjoy yourself. You will have no problems with your Jeep. Do the La Sals but don't forget the area around Dead Horse Point. And that part just north of town that has a nice 4 wheel course. There are lots of other courses around the area. And the temperatures should be bearable by then.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Hi Karen

October is a great time of year to enjoy Moab. It's not too hot, not too cold and not too crowded.

As far as traveling - I would not be too concerned. I70 is well maintained and any heavy weather will be plowed off fairly quickly.

The only real concern is which 4X4 trails in Moab you want to do first - priorities.

Have fun -- its beautiful country.

teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #4

Left Moab Mon the 29th was 32 at night 65-70 day highs very nice weather. It can get chilly at night but the scenery is worth it.

Wayne and Donna
Wayne, Donna and Moab
2016 Ford S/D Platinum
2013 Sanibel 3500
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote