Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #1

Moab UT Camping

New here, but thought I would try and help out if anyone is ever interested in Camping in the Moab, UT area. This includes designated campgrounds managed by the BLM or dispersed camping in the BLM managed lands.

Since I know quite a few NP (Arches/Canyonlands-Island in the Sky and Needles Districts) and Forest (Manti Lasal) personnel, I might be able to help out with these areas; however, the BLM lands I know very well.

Just send me a PM and I’ll help out all I can….
D

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #2

If you have any pictures of the different places you have camped, I know everyone would love to see them.
We have camped extensively in Colorado, and always wanted to make it out to your area, but haven't been down there in years. Have to put it on the bucket list!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #3

One of my fav spots!

Will be there the week prior to memorial weekend thru Sunday the 26th!!

I would like more info on some of the spots for bigger units for dry camping tho!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
If you have any pictures of the different places you have camped, I know everyone would love to see them.
We have camped extensively in Colorado, and always wanted to make it out to your area, but haven't been down there in years. Have to put it on the bucket list!
As for camping in the Moab area...I have only done that a few times and since the popup is new, I have only done it one time in the popup. I live here, so I normally go home. Most of my camping trips are to AZ, CO, ID, WY and MT.
However, as for photos of the area; non-camping related, I have thousands. Primarily since I have run almost every off-road trail in the immediate area.

My first trip with the new popup was last fall to Sand Island campground; south of Bluff UT. Nice site, especially late Oct/Early Nov since no one is there; other than the coyotes

And if you have a vehicle that can do some mild off-roading there are tons of indian ruins and writing in the area you can visit....
This is Riverhouse, south of Comb Ridge

And views of the San Juan River...

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #5

Further south is Valley of the Gods...a very well-maintained dirt road that takes you by some interesting rock formations, and is also an access to the Moki Dugway switch back down from Cedar Mesa

Lady in the tub...

In the distance is Monument Valley...very hazy day with lots of sand in the air so MV is not that clear...

And the Moki Dugway...

And for a short side trip from the Valley of the Gods is Goosenecks State Park (no fee unless you camp)

Old 04-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
One of my fav spots!

I would like more info on some of the spots for bigger units for dry camping tho!
One of the best areas to disperse camp with a large unit is off Dubinky Road (west of Hwy 191, off 313), northwest of Moab. There are quite a few places to pull off and camp and only requirement on the one side of the road is you be self-contained or if not, have a portable toilet.

This puts you about twenty miles from Arches, and about 10 miles from Canyonlands. If you have ATVs/UTVs, this is the area to camp. You have hundreds of miles of class B and D roads you can run on, just make sure to get a UT OHV sticker if UT does not recognize your state's OHV sticker.

There is another area that is popular for big rigs and that is on the east side of Hwy 191 (main road into and out of Moab), just north of Hwy 313 (road to Canyonlands). It is actually land owned by the state of Utah and known as SITLA (School Institutional Trust Lands), but plenty of big rigs park along there on the slick rock.

Kane Creek is another place that offers some dispersed camping, but it is quite a way down a dirt road, and down a short, but sharp switch back. It is a well-traveled road for ATVs/UTVs. Very busy when the weather turns nice. However, IF (and I say IF) a severe thunderstorm his about twenty miles south of Moab, the creeks which are normally dry can flood in an hour and prevent anyone from leaving for a few hours to a day or two. And it can be sunny and hot where you are.

There is NO disperse camping along the Colorado river, but plenty of campgrounds.

Where you camp sometimes is really related to what you want to do while in the area. Like I mentioned earlier, if you want to ATV then Dubinky is a great place to go. If you want to visit Canyonlands (Island in the Sky District) than Dubinky is great too. Arches is not that far away from Dubinky either.

If interested I can give you detailed directions to any of the dispersed areas.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #7

F5Moab:

As a local what do you think of Big Bend on UT 128??

It's one of my favorites.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
One of my fav spots!

As I said to F5Moab, I love Big Bend BLM campground along the Colorado River on UT128.

Handles big rigs pretty well although not ALL spots. Completely dry, though.

BTW, I'm planning to be there around the same time. Memorial weekend will be a ZOO!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #9

Absolutely awesome pictures, thanks for taking the time to post them.
Wow.
Can one drive through Monument Valley? That would be something to see.
Definitely have to add your area to our bucket list.
Thanks again.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #10

Nice pics, will make it out there one day.
Free Bird1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #11

Been in Big Bend, but never camped. The river road (128 and 279) campsites tend to be a bit more rowdy than the sites up off 313. If you want a large campsite there is Horsethief up off 313; three miles from Dubinky road.

And this year, there is a major construction project going on down on 128 close to 191. They are building a bike path off the road on a narrow causeway, located off the side of hwy 128. So there can be times you will be stopped for up to 30 minutes.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Absolutely awesome pictures, thanks for taking the time to post them.
Wow.
Can one drive through Monument Valley? That would be something to see.
Definitely have to add your area to our bucket list.
Thanks again.
Monument valley is a Navajo Indian Reservation, so you can only drive on certain roads, and you pay a fee to drive on those roads. They have a nice 13 mile road that take you past the major rock formations such as the mittens. But it is worth it.

Years ago, a few of us paid an Indian guide 200 per day and he took us into area you can only go with a guide.

The Mittens...

Somewhere in MV

Ear of the Wind Arch, MV

Moccasin Arch, MV

Valley of the Gods, north of MV is on BLM land (just north of Mexican Hat UT) and the road is pretty well maintained. I have actually seen a Mustang Convertible drive it.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #13

Thanks F5 and BooHoo!!

Yeah we are fine dry. Most spots we go to in CO are dry as well. Plenty of water and dual honda 2000i's!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #14

Beautiful country. My kid does some sort of 4WD Jeep thing in Moab every year. Not quite sure what it is, but is prolly tons of fun.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote