Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #11

Future Travels.

You might want to pick up a copy of Mountain Directories East and West if you want to know if there are any mountain roads or grades you should avoid in your travels. They are excellent and were written for trucker, RV, and motorhome drivers. They give locations and discriptions of over 300 mountain passes and steep grades in eleven eastern states and the other book, the Mountain Directory West gives locations and descriptions of over 400 mountain passes and steep grades in eleven western states. I used them for reference when I drove truck and now use them for reference and curiosity when planning our vacations. They are fun to look at and there are some roads you probably should definitly avoid. Monarch Pass is in there and it tells you the grade, how steady it is, curves, runaway ramps and where it flattens out. Alot of the descriptions walk you all the way down many of the grades. I wouldn't be without these guides, they've kept me out of trouble in unfamiliar territory. You can order them both for $31.90 plus shipping from the publisher, orders@mountaindirectory.com. Hope this helps you or anyone else thats picks up these great books. Good luck in your future travels.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #12

Can someone give me a little more info on Wolf Creek Pass? We will be driving from Denver to Durango and had been planning to take the quickest route, Hwy 285 to Hwy 160. After reading the brief comments about staying away from Wolf Creek Pass I am curious as to why? We will be driving our 1 ton diesel pulling a 35 ft Crusader 5W.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #13

From the pass down into Pagosa Springs is steep with lots of curves and oftentimes some construction. And, it is normally raining or sleeting when I drive through (in the dead of summer). However, tons of people drive it daily. If you are careful you will be fine.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #14

From the Mountain Directory West.

Hey Beaver Believer,
This is what the book says going west: Going westbound from the summit of Wolf Creek Pass we find signs warning " 7% grade - winding road next 9 miles " and " Trucks stay in lower gear " and " Vehicles over 55,000 lbs. must use right lane " and ' Vehicles over 55,000 lbs. 25 mph. " Starting down the mountain the speed limit is 25 mph. and it's four lane road. There are two runaway truck ramps. They are 4 1/2 and 6 miles down from the summit of the pass, at mileposts 162 1/2 and 161. After passing the second escape ramp the 7% grade and 30 mph curves continue for anothe 2 miles and then ease to a lesser grade for 2 miles before changing to rolling hills. That's it. I've been over it several times this way the last being last fall pulling a small camper and have just shifted my truck into second gear and let that hold me back and had no problems. They had a 20 mph curve at the bottom which was the only thing that sticks in my mind. It's a long beautiful grade so take it slow, stay off the brakes and enjoy the scenery. Just remember the old phrase, " You can go down a mountain a thousand times to slowly, but only once too fast. "
Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #15

Thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated!