Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Need input please !!!

Hello fellow campers!
The wife and I are planning a camping trip to the Western states this fall around the end of August till October. We live in South central KY right on the TN border. I want to go North from here and eventually arrive at Glacier National Park. From there we will go to Yellowstone etc and on to the west coast of Washington and Oregon and California. Coming back through AZ, NM, and TX. In MT and ND I see a route 2 that might be a good route to travel. Keeping us off the Interstates for a while. Anyone have any tips or suggestions about our trip would be greatly appreciated. We will be pulling our 2014 Surveyor 265RLDS with a 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD 6.0 gas. Thanks
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Old Timer

Route 2 (the Hi-line) is a pretty good 2 lane highway all the way. Just don't even think about pulling the trailer over Going-to-the-Sun Highway in Glacier. Enjoy the trip there's a lot of great scenery out that way.
kentnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #3

If you are a Good Sam member try their trip planner. Click on "avoid highways" and it will keep you off of Interstates. Like you I try to avoid as much Interstate travel as possible so I can relax and enjoy the scenery and not looking at all the billboards. I did it on a trip to Florida and a trip Houston. Planning another trip to Houston a little different way but still avoiding the interstates. Sometimes going right along side an Interstate but without the heavy truck traffic.

I did a little test to see where your trip would go and for me it looked pretty decent. In South Dakota you are routed fairly close to Rapid City and you might want to take a little detour and go to Mount Rushmore. You can customize the route to your liking.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #4

I am a new member of Good Sam and I did not realize they had a trip planner service. That is great to know. And no thoughts of pulling anything over the Going to the sun highway lol. Just the PU going that way. Thanks!!
Old 01-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #5

By the way I am also a Ham radio operator for 23 years.
KT4W
Old 01-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #6

Hey there, what is your call?? Mine is W8PO displaced from Ohio.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #7

been licensed since 1964...........longgggggggggggggg time !!!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #8

KT4W - original license was N8TCZ when I lived in the Dayton area, was going to get a license in 1962 but other toys got in the way. Ended up getting a license in 1992 when oldest son went to work for ICOM as a regional sales manager. He stayed at that for about 3 years then bailed. Father-in-law was a ham, now SK, DW's brother has his call now. Two sons and a daughter-in-law are licensed hams also, as is the brother-in-law.
KT4W
Old 01-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #9
TGR

It has many years since I drove US 2 to Glacier National Park. The scenery on US 2 and I-94 are the same across North Dakota except I-94 goes through Teddy Roosevelt National Park with a pretty view of the North Dakota badlands. A big disadvantage to US 2 was the numerous towns that required dropping down to 25 mph back when I traveled that route. It may be different today but I found I-94 a better choice.

You may want to consider taking I-94 across North Dakota and then go north on 200S, just west of Glendive, MT, to US 2 and on to Glacier National Park.

As mentioned, you can't take a big RV on Going to the Sun road but here are tour buses, etc., that are available. You don't want to miss this extraordinarily pretty highway.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #10

Just park the RV and drive the GMC over Going to the Sun road...

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
KT4W - original license was N8TCZ when I lived in the Dayton area, was going to get a license in 1962 but other toys got in the way. Ended up getting a license in 1992 when oldest son went to work for ICOM as a regional sales manager. He stayed at that for about 3 years then bailed. Father-in-law was a ham, now SK, DW's brother has his call now. Two sons and a daughter-in-law are licensed hams also, as is the brother-in-law.
I guess they moved my thread.........Tnx for the info. I started out pretty young and learned the code and it never caused me any problems but I failed my first try at General class after my dad took me to Detroit to take the test. That was a sad day. The FCC guy told me to not give up because he could tell how disappointed I was. He wasn't supposed to tell me but he said I missed the license by 1 question! Got it the next time after I studies a lot harder. Probably was a bit cocky that first time.
Are u active on the air now? I was off the air except for VHF-UHF mobile operation for over 10 years. Then we built a house here on Dale Hollow Lake in S KY and I put up a tower here and put together a station. Having lots of fun again. Do u take a rig with u when u camp?? I have a IC-746PRO spare rig that I would love to take on my trip out west. So I will have to configure something for that.
Tnx for answering my post,
W8PO
Old 01-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentnjudy View Post
Route 2 (the Hi-line) is a pretty good 2 lane highway all the way. Just don't even think about pulling the trailer over Going-to-the-Sun Highway in Glacier. Enjoy the trip there's a lot of great scenery out that way.
But... Going To The Sun highway is definitely a must-see if you're in the area. Beautiful drive.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #13
Director, FROG

If you're going to be in western North Dakota, check out the Enchanted Highway near Regent, ND. It's about two hours worth of really huge and quirky sculptures. Great way to spend part of a day in the middle of nowhere. Theodore Roosevelt NP and the town of Medora are well worth a visit. We didn't see the performance of the play "Medora," but I understand that it's excellent.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
It has many years since I drove US 2 to Glacier National Park. The scenery on US 2 and I-94 are the same across North Dakota except I-94 goes through Teddy Roosevelt National Park with a pretty view of the North Dakota badlands. A big disadvantage to US 2 was the numerous towns that required dropping down to 25 mph back when I traveled that route. It may be different today but I found I-94 a better choice.

You may want to consider taking I-94 across North Dakota and then go north on 200S, just west of Glendive, MT, to US 2 and on to Glacier National Park.

As mentioned, you can't take a big RV on Going to the Sun road but here are tour buses, etc., that are available. You don't want to miss this extraordinarily pretty highway.
Sounds like good advice. I still have plenty of time to work this trip out but I like to get others ideas and come up with my own plan that way!! Thanks!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #15

Thanks Bob for the info, I have heard of that area before but have not been there. Sounds like a good place to stop and see the sites.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #16

Ham Camper-When coming through ND on Highway 2 there is a great State Park at Devils Lake, ND. It is Graham's Island State Park. The camping sites are large, easy to get in and of, and is a great place to camp. The fishing there is also world class and you won't find friendlier people anywhere.
NDcamperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #17

Smile TRIP

If I was coming to the Oregon coast I'd take Highway 101.. there are lots of pull offs where you can view the ocean and lighthouses. The whole cost is state owned so you can enjoy all the beaches you want. If you are 62 or older make sure you get the GOLDEN AGE PASS. The pass is only $10.00 and covers the entrance fees to all the National Parks in the U.S.A. for life. There are also a lot of forestry campgrounds and with the pass they are only $10.00 camping cost. Joe Oh my wife and I are camp ground host on the coast. Joe
JOEHARBOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #18

It's no longer called the Golden Age Pass, it is now called "America the Beautiful" pass. The Golden Age Pass is still in effect, only the name has changed. Still a $10 one time charge for a lifetime for those 62 and over and also for permanently disabled veterans regardless of age. It gives you a 50% discount on camping and free entrance to most National Parks, National Forests, Bureau of Land Management, Corps of Engineers campgrounds, National Wildlife Reserves (most of them do not have campgrounds) and other National Public Lands. Also gives you a discount to some museums and historic sites (not 50% though). Some states will honor it for their state parks. For example, Louisiana will honor it for their state parks if you are a state resident or a resident of a state that also honors the America the Beautiful pass for its parks. If you want to get a pass you can get one on-line for $10 plus mailing costs or at most (not all) National Parks will issue you one at their gate, no mail cost.
KT4W
Old 01-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #19

Another good resource is the rand-McNally motor carriers (truckers) atlas to advise low overpasses & other roads not suitable for rvs.
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #20

We camp host at KOA in Red Lodge Mt------straight south of Billings on Hwy 212-----It is at the base of Bear Tooth Mtn.------Definitely do not want to miss this area of Montana--------you can get to Yellowstone two different ways from there, one going over Beartooth (not recommended pulling Anything) or drop south to Cody Wyoming (60 miles) and going in the east entrance....lots to see and do in Cody also. If you are planning on staying in Yellowstone make sure that you make reservations well in advance........If you make it to Red Lodge area stop in at the KOA (4 miles north of Red Lodge on Hwy 212) and at least say HELLO !
Spike
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote