Old 08-28-2015, 02:32 AM   #1

Nevada Route 207 to Lake Tahoe...OK to use?

Hi...trying to get to Lake Tahoe (south) from the Nevada side and my Garmin won't give me a choice to use RT 207 in RV mode... but it will in Car Mode...saving roughly 1.5 hours. Going over the route in Google Maps...I'm seeing a steep and relatively twisty road that looks to be in good condition with decent shoulders and pull offs for slow traffic.
I also see some 40ft. trucks on the route.

So...I'm tempted to chance it...but if anyone has done it...I'd appreciate 1st hand advice. Go or no Go?

tks...

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:19 AM   #2

Cam, I used to spend many winters skiing in South lake Tahoe. I don't think you will have a problem on that road or any rd. with your MH might be slow going a lot of up and down in the Navada Mts. But I really do not know of any road that I would call unuseable. Use to drive from the South shore to the North shore all the time even in winter. The State keep all those rds. in pretty good shape. On both sides Nevada and California sides. I do not ever remember seeing any restrictions posted on truck lengths as you see on Highway one. If a 40' truck can do it you can. You really do not have to worry about overpasses being they are few in between and mostly would be on 50 or 80. It's one of the 3 main highways that connect to tahoe from nevada. You might hit some steep grades that's about it. I seen only one overpass when looking on the google map.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #3

Thanks a bunch G... I've climbed a bunch of tough roads this trip with the approval of Mr. Garmin...was concerned that this one might have some pitfalls for the unwary. Slow & steady will do it... will report back once done tonight with any comments for those Tahoe bound in the future.
I appreciate the quick & detailed reply
Old 08-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #4

Well here I am all tucked in for the night after doing RT207 in both directions today.
Just as GLJ said ... it is quite doable for any RV. There is around a 3000 ft. cllimb to 7300 ft over the 14 mile section so many sections are quite steep. It was all I could do to make 30mph in sections and there were some tight turns to keep it interesting but the road was in great shape with many pull offs to allow faster traffic to pass and wide shoulders to make the curves a bit easier.
Bottom line...if you can't make it through the tunnel clearance on Rt. 50...you don't have to miss Tahoe...Mr. Garmin is wrong...Rt.207 is no problem even though it is a good ways up and down.
Thanks again GLJ.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #5

Your welcome Cam, glad your safe and tucked in. I didn't even know you were in California, here I thought you were in still in NC. I new it had a good climb, but not a bad road at all. That's very pretty Country, but not for the light hearted as you said. Have you been to Emerald bay? If your close to Tahoe City on the California side there is a great restaurant on the main drag. Try it for breakfast, they make a mean Gin Fizz. Hope you enjoyed yourself....Glenn
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 08-28-2015, 11:12 PM   #6

Yeah...been out about 6 weeks with 6 more to go...spent a lot of time in CO, UT parks...rested up in Vegas (LOL) and now in Reno. Headed over the Donner pass in a few days & down to Columbia, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia...then we'll stop in l.a. before turning the bus around. Tough work but someone has to do it.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #7

Hi: I see that you have the same 5er, hitch and your rig has the revolution pin box. I have a question regarding lube for the pin box, as mine is only 3 months old and has developed much squeeking sound when turning right only. Should the pivot area be lubed and if so with what? Thanks for any information. Terry

P.S. My TV is a 2013 Toyota Tundra..Its a little bit of a strain, but it works.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky4765 View Post
Hi: I see that you have the same 5er, hitch and your rig has the revolution pin box. I have a question regarding lube for the pin box, as mine is only 3 months old and has developed much squeeking sound when turning right only. Should the pivot area be lubed and if so with what? Thanks for any information. Terry

P.S. My TV is a 2013 Toyota Tundra..Its a little bit of a strain, but it works.
You can lube and clean the pad. The easiest way I found was to hook-up and turn like at a 90 degree then lube that part with a dry lube.( on the bottom of the pad) Then turn the other way and lube that side after cleaning with a thin rag. Other then that you can loosen your castle nut and wiggle it down. IT WILL NOT FALL OFF. then you would need to torque it to 80 lbs. then back off to the closest whole and reinsert your cotter pin. I use either a graphite lube or CRS white lithium. You can buy it at Napa or autozone. First I heard of squeaking. Is your tight to say that it is hard to push by hand? If it is that is on the normal side. I have only seen one that after a year you can still push it over by hand, and that was Alabama Bobs. B&B had a tight one at the rally and they switched it out, FR did it after talking to Reese, because there rep was not there. I have been told by the engineer that designed it that it is normal. Hope that helps
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 08-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Yeah...been out about 6 weeks with 6 more to go...spent a lot of time in CO, UT parks...rested up in Vegas (LOL) and now in Reno. Headed over the Donner pass in a few days & down to Columbia, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia...then we'll stop in l.a. before turning the bus around. Tough work but someone has to do it.
Watch Donner pass on 80 coming down. Steep grade and long. Stop at Placerville, you will probably like the old gold mine town. In the sequoias it will be slow going very winding but nothing you can't handle. You are going through the best parts of Caifornia in my opinion and I lived there for over 25 years in the Bay Area. Watch the bears in Yosemite, Talk about Yogi they will come into you CG at night. DO NOT leave anything laying around outside at night. Have a great trip and maybe I will see you sometime in NC when you return.... PS: I now remember the name of that restaurant in Tahoe City "ROSIES" there is a Safeway across the street that you can park in.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 08-29-2015, 10:35 PM   #10

207 is known as Kingsbury Grade to us locals. Have driven it hundreds of time and would not hesitate taking my 32 foot 5th wheel over it. If the weather turns on you, hold up in gardnerville or minden and wait a day, NDOT is real good at keeping the roads clear and nice. You'll have no issues. Welcome in advance to South Lake Tahoe.