Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
Boo

New Mexico

We are looking for camp grounds and information for south New Mexico for the month of November. Any suggestions or help would be helpful. We enjoy rv campgrounds more than park model resorts but open to any.
boo798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo798 View Post
We are looking for camp grounds and information for south New Mexico for the month of November. Any suggestions or help would be helpful. We enjoy rv campgrounds more than park model resorts but open to any.
We used to live in Las Cruces (which is about as South as you can get in NM and still be in the USA ) I pinged a couple of friends who still live there (and are RVers) so I am fairly confident this info is up to date....

The Hacienda RV "Resort" is a decent place to stay. It is a resort in name only - basically a good campground that is within walking distance from old Mesilla. The do long-term rates.

New Mexico RV parks, RV resorts in New Mexico | Hacienda RV & Rally Resort | Las Cruces,NM

Depending on your rig size, you could camp at Aguirre Springs for 1 or 2 nights. It is BLM property so no hookups but OMG the view is fantastic and the night skies are unbelievable! There is almost zero light pollution, so the milky way is easily seen. It will get nippy at night in November, so prepare accordingly.

The more RV-friendly Oliver Lee Memorial SP in the Sacramento mountains is another good bet - they have W/E campsites so you could stay there as long as your black tank holds out

Oliver Lee Memorial State Park

City of Rocks State Park is another good place for RV'ers to camp. The rock formations are amazing and again, light pollution is minimal so the night skies are amazing!

EMNRD State Parks Division

Depending on your interest, you can see everything there is to see in Las Cruces/Mesilla in a week, so you may want to move on to Deming (60-ish miles west). This is when you would want to stay at City of Rocks.

The 81 Palms Senior RV Park in Deming is a good bet if you are in the 55+ Age Category.

Home

If you have some specific questions about South NM, let me know and I will try to answer them.

(P.S. If you are not from South NM, I don't care how hot you like your food...do NOT order the Barker Hot Hatch Green Chilie )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #3

West Grand RV Park $300. A month all utilities included. We have stayed there. Each trip lasted about five months getting ready to go back there next month located in Clovis New Mexico by Texas it is 15 minutes away from Texas. They have a dinosaur museum in there too
Lookng4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #4

I too used to live in Cruces. Miss the food there allot!

Oliver Lee Park is awesome. Off of the beaten path so to speak but not too far off.

Hacienda Park is real nice and close to everything in Old Mesilla. I lived in Mesilla park area of Cruces and La Posta was one of the best places period to eat.
In Las Cruces Nellies is excellent as is the Spanish Kitchen (my choice for breakfast).

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #5

southern new mexico camping

Rockhound state park in Deming is a nice place.Has water & electric at the site. Dump station near hosts site, very friendly staff.Great views Wal-Mart within 10 miles.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
I too used to live in Cruces. Miss the food there allot!

Oliver Lee Park is awesome. Off of the beaten path so to speak but not too far off.

Hacienda Park is real nice and close to everything in Old Mesilla. I lived in Mesilla park area of Cruces and La Posta was one of the best places period to eat.
In Las Cruces Nellies is excellent as is the Spanish Kitchen (my choice for breakfast).
We lived up on the East Mesa Keystone

A friendly disagreement on La Posta - yeah it is surprisingly good for being a perceived tourist trap (it is, but it really isn't! Locals DO eat there But IMHO, Andele's edges La Posta out.

As for breakfast...have you ever eaten at Mesilla Valley Kitchen on Lohman AVE? OMG, the MVK Spuds are to die for! (home fried potatoes tossed with bacon, sausage, and chorizo and then topped with Green Chilie Cheese sauce and a egg as you like it on top!) Sure a heart attack on a plate, but you only live once LOL.

Also agree with you about Nellies -- GRINGO WARNING HERE - Nellies serves some rather HOT Hatch green chilie so make sure you have a extra order of sour cream when you order your Christmas Enchilada plate!

[NM Pro tip - when you order food in NM, your server will invariably ask "Red or Green" - that being red or green chilie sauce. The veteran NM restaurant goer will order "Christmas" which means half your plate will be red sauce and the other green
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote