Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Explorer

New Mexico Please

West or South not sure, probably both, doing NewMexico and looking for advice.
Would like to take my kids to some cliff dwelling, found three that sound interesting: Walnut Canyon National Monument, Puye Cliff Dwellings(on a reservation) and Walnut Canyon National Monument(Arizona).
Has anyone been too any of these and what do you think?
Is there anything ells that we shouldn’t miss and why?
Our trip leaves Cal. October 4th, we meet my sister and kids in Scottsdale at Butterfly World the 5th and that evening will stay at Cogwell Ostrich Farm. Get down to Carlsbad Caverns on the 6th, hope the bats are still around. Heard something about some white sand dunes in that area as well, have to see about time. The 9th we check into Albuquerque Balloon Festival and do a balloon ride on the 12th check out on the 13th and start heading home(slowly). I think the cliff dwellings would be fun to do in this time, basicly don’t have any plans during this time. My kids seem to like Mojave dessert so might work our way back that way. It would be good to get home around the 19th or so.
We have done the Grand Canyon and the Utah Loop, my kids say they are tired of looking at red rocks(poor kids, they still don’t know how well they have it). Just for info, I think you should see everything but put in the effort to see the slot canyons in Escalante. They are incredible and the kids loved them too(if that matters).
Input is greatly appreciated,
Thanks
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #2

Walnut Canyon was an interesting side trip on our way back from Sedona. Takes a couple of hours to climb down into the canyon and walk the trail thru the dwellings. Lots of history about the inhabitants and how they lived in the overhanging rocks.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #3

White Sands is interesting, Carlsbad is great. They are on opposite sides of the mountains. As I recall, the roads between are narrow and curved. There are some historic cowboy erra towns along the way but it has been a while since I was in those areas.

Absolutely love the balloon festival. Around Abq, take the tram to Sandia Peak; along 40 west, tour the Acoma Pueblo; make sure you try some authentic NM food. Taos Pueblo is a good stop, as is Santa Fe.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #4

Perfect timeing for this tread, Next month the wife and I are going meet friends in Silver City then to Carlbad to see the caverns, what else is around that area?
wayne nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #5

For cliff dwellings, you can check out the Gila Cliff Dwellings near Silver City, NM. White Sands is pretty cool. While in the area, there is a Space Museum in Alamogordo. From Alamogordo, you can get to Carlsbad through Cloudcroft which is a really nice drive. I would not miss the caverns. They are really interesting with or without the bats. If you get as close as Albuquerque, try to make Santa Fe. The downtown square is full of shops.

Of course, you can't make a trip to New Mexico without gorging on green chili entrees.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Explorer

Thanks for the info on the area, we should have a good trip. I see Gila Dwellings are having some weather right now but I still have two weeks before I will be in the area.
My family is getting excited
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #7

I grew up in New Mexico and have to say, it is definitely the Land of Enchantment. Lots of stuff to see. Enjoy your trip.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote