Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #1

Nice route from Grand Canyon to Zion NP

Hi,
I am planning my summer family adventure. I have never been to AZ or UT. Towing a 23 foot trailer with my truck. Staying in Grand Canyon for a few nights then heading north to Zion. Parameters are few in terms of road types, but we may be taking our AWD Toyota Venza too. Current plan is to use Ways or Google ,but doing that may cut off something worth driving by or too along the way. Thanks.
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #2

South Rim or North Rim of the Grand Canyon?
The North Rim is overlooked by many people and as such it is not as crowded.
South Rim to Zion you are limited to Hwy 89 or 89A. 89A will take you across the Colorado at Lees Ferry and then along the Vermillion Cliffs through Jacob Lake. Spend a day on the North Rim, there are campgrounds but water is scarce. I like this drive better than going Hwy89 and Page, Az.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #3

Antelope Canyon near Page if you have the time.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #4

We are staying in the South Rim area. I thought about north , maybe still do it. Driving from the South Rim to Zion is the likely trip.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #5

Zion to North rim is a much closer drive.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #6

So ,Blackrock, are you suggesting on our day of departure, go see the north rim area then head from there to zion?
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Old 01-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #7

Don’t know your time constraints but the whole area is enjoyable. As stated the North Rim is much less crowded but you will need reservations. At Vermillion Cliffs you may see the California Condor, the largest of Vultures. At Page you can ride the boat, on Lake Powell, over to the Rainbow Bridge which is sacred to the American Indian tribes in the area. Zion and Brice Canyon are great places for hiking. Wherever you visit in that area you will likely want to return again.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
So ,Blackrock, are you suggesting on our day of departure, go see the north rim area then head from there to zion?
If it was me, yes. Kaibab Camper Village is the only commercial RV park but there are several FS campgrounds plus unlimited boondocking sites. The view from the Grand Canyon Lodge id magnificent, the food in the restraunt is reasonably priced and the drive out to the vista points is nice.
We spent ten days between the North Rim, Zion and Bryce Canyon last August.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #9

I have 3 days planned for the GC, 4-5 for Zion Bryce, 5-6 Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. It's 3 days from where I live in the Smokies . I plan to stop for two days in the black hills on the return trip. My youngest is a junior in HS so I am trying to do a greatest hits kind of western tour.

I know I could spend a month in Arizona, Utah and states north. My middle kid who is 19 is severely disabled. We will likely have help with him. I have been to Yellowstone and many of the boardwalks are doable for us as a family. I can rent a boat too in Yellowstone which Kyle loves doing. So, I am trying to do things and go places where most of us can enjoy the experience.

A big part of my question centers around is there a Best scenic way to get between GC and Zion? This may be my only shot at it. It may not, anyway . Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming please!!!
Old 01-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
Dave & Terry

I agree with all the prior commenters. I've driven both 89A and 89, although in the opposite direction. I think 89A past the Vermillion Cliffs is a bit more scenic..
When you get to Fredonia you'll have to make a decison on how you're going to enter Zion. If you go north through Kanab and Mt. Carmel junction you'll have to go through the Zion tunnel to get into the park. Last I checked the tunnel was restricted to heights not greater than 13 foot and combined lengths no greater than 50 feet. There is a fee but its a really cool way to get into the park.
I've never been the southern route through Kaibab.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #11
Multi-Slacker

More agreement (going around to the North Rim.) Just be aware that if you go through the Zion tunnel, you will descend through the switchbacks. While the scenery is spectacular, the driving can be a little hairy.

While in Zion, plan on getting to the park entrance at dawn to beat most of the crowds. Crowding is severe in the summer and they often have to refuse entrance because the place is too full. Bryce hoodoos are also spectacular and can be a good plan B if you hit a full park. Of them all, Yellowstone is our favorite.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #12

There are commercial cgs on the east side of Zion, park the trailer there, no need to take it thru the tunnel. From a single cg you can see Zion, Bryce , Cedar Breaks and Brian Head on different days. Last time we visited there were many overseas visitors in rented class C's w/o toads and tour busses. We could get several hours of sightseeing in before the crowds started arriving.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #13

When planning a trip that will rely on Waze or Google or Garmin, be aware the Waze and Google can both get lost. If you are out of Cell tower range, they cannot recover until service is restored. If you are lost while they are lost, ask the nearest jack rabbit for directions.

Garmin doesn't so easily get lost, but Garmin does not include all US cities and points of interest. You can't map your way to these "lost" destinations when Garmin doesn't include them.

We travel using both Garmin (for me, the driver) and Google Maps (for my wife/navigator). We also have a backup plan.

We carry retro gear with us for backup. When traveling cross country, we carry a paper map that includes the route.

When we plan to travel a particular state extensively, we carry a state atlas specific to that state.

Retro gear (paper maps) also come in handy when the road ahead is blocked and you want to take an alternate route (cross country).
Old 01-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #14
Scoundrel

One thing no one has mentioned - sun angle! South Rim is best in the fall and spring as the lower sun angle illuminates the view to the north magnificently. Likewise, if you're traveling around the summer solstice (end of June), the north rim is where I would be.

Safe travels.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #15

long ride to Rainbow Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Don’t know your time constraints but the whole area is enjoyable. As stated the North Rim is much less crowded but you will need reservations. At Vermillion Cliffs you may see the California Condor, the largest of Vultures. At Page you can ride the boat, on Lake Powell, over to the Rainbow Bridge which is sacred to the American Indian tribes in the area. Zion and Brice Canyon are great places for hiking. Wherever you visit in that area you will likely want to return again.
Travel safe
We did the boat ride to Rainbow Bridge. Very beautiful when you get there, but a lot of hours to get there and back and the view is rocks on both sides. Don't think I would do it again. Will be going through Page from Zion to South Rim in June. Looking forward to seeing Grand Canyon again. Starting in SC through Nashville, St. Louis, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Zion/Bryce, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Sante Fe, Amarillo, Memphis, and heading back home.
LaddDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #16

Paper Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
When planning a trip that will rely on Waze or Google or Garmin, be aware the Waze and Google can both get lost. If you are out of Cell tower range, they cannot recover until service is restored. If you are lost while they are lost, ask the nearest jack rabbit for directions.

Garmin doesn't so easily get lost, but Garmin does not include all US cities and points of interest. You can't map your way to these "lost" destinations when Garmin doesn't include them.

We travel using both Garmin (for me, the driver) and Google Maps (for my wife/navigator). We also have a backup plan.

We carry retro gear with us for backup. When traveling cross country, we carry a paper map that includes the route.

When we plan to travel a particular state extensively, we carry a state atlas specific to that state.

Retro gear (paper maps) also come in handy when the road ahead is blocked and you want to take an alternate route (cross country).
Smart, Very Smart. We have been led astray... on a dead end road... no turnaround except through the woods. Sweated bullets. DW said nothing...
LaddDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #17
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Antelope Canyon near Page if you have the time.
Boy am I envious. Page and the Slot Canyons are a must. Horseshoe Bend is just up the road and Cortez/Mesa Verdi down the road. Hope you are not afraid of heights.

When in Page, engage a local photographer as your guide (find Charly, he's great) and you will get the best spots at the best times for the best photos. If you use the cheap local option (at the entrance gate) you will miss the best times and be rushed through.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #18

Smokyroo, if you stay at the GC south rim, I suggest you consider the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park in Williams, one of the best around. You then have the option of riding the vintage railroad into the South Rim for a day. Recommend it. Also, in Williams, take your kids to Bearizona wild animal park. Amazing!

Recommend the North Rim for at least a day or two before heading to Zion via Rte 89A to Fredonia, then west on SR 389 to Colorado City and then on to Hurricane, UT, near the south entrance to Zion. We've stayed often at Zion River RV Resort close to the Zion entrance. Remember you cannot drive your personal vehicle into Zion Canyon, but the shuttles are very convenient. Try the smoked trout sandwich for lunch at the Zion Lodge - yum!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #19

So when at Bryce Canyon, there is horseback riding at the hotel that takes you down into the canyon. Call them and book a two hour ride- the half day was way too much. If you are staying at Ruby’s, they have atv tours across the street that your teenager would appreciate the freedom

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #20

You have planned a fantastic trip. My $0.02:

Grand Canyon: try to see it in the afternoon AND in the morning. We found it to look significantly different.
Page: Highly recommend a visit to Glen Canyon Dam.
Bryce: highly recommend Rubys Inn for camping
Yellowstone: We found moving around to different campgrounds every couple days cut down on driving and enhanced our experience.
Grand Tetons: Spectacular scenery, be mindful of thick mosquitoes in the summer
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote