Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #1

North to Alaska

Has anyone drove to Alaska lately? I am planning on taking my new Dodge Ram with FR truck camper this summer and would like some insight into what I may encounter, good or bad.
DavidO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
2012 Solera

We are also planning an Alaska trip this spring with our Solera (24 foot MH). Wondering if anyone has done part of the trip on the inside passage via ferry. We are thinking about driving to Prince Rupert (via Prince George and Kitwanga), taking the ferry from there to Haines, then the Haines Junction Road to the Alcan. Particularly interested in comments wrt a pet on the ferry - we have a 120 pound Golden Retriever "lap dog" who will be traveling with us. Appreciate any thoughts / experiences!
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
We are also planning an Alaska trip this spring with our Solera (24 foot MH). Wondering if anyone has done part of the trip on the inside passage via ferry. We are thinking about driving to Prince Rupert (via Prince George and Kitwanga), taking the ferry from there to Haines, then the Haines Junction Road to the Alcan. Particularly interested in comments wrt a pet on the ferry - we have a 120 pound Golden Retriever "lap dog" who will be traveling with us. Appreciate any thoughts / experiences!
We did what you are planing with a class C in 1986. The cost was about half compared to leaving from Seattle, now Bellingham. We got off in Juneau for a couple of days, then contiued to Haines.

The ferry ride is scenic and interesting. They had a naturalist on board to provide info. Do the Randall passage at night if you can. Very interestingbp navigation.

When we go again, we will probably take the ferry from Bellingham and get off ta the various stops for a day or two each.

Keep in mind that you cannot access your vehicle while the boat is underway but you can while it is in port. Propane must be off while on the boat.

We did not take our dog. You will need to check on the rules. As I recall, you can walk them while in port but I do not remember the rules in board.

We were out three weeks but could have used more.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
2012 Solera

Coupevillefish - Thanks for the insights!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #5

Coupevillefish, I was considering the ferry on my way back, one question though I had was are there enough roads to wonder a ways from the ferry terminal and are there RV campgrounds if needed? Thanks for the comments.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #6

Jleising, how early are you leaving if you are going in the spring? Any concern for bad weather? I was planning on being in Calgary by June 1st, I will drive all the way up. Kenai peninsula sounds like a fantastic area. I hope you have a safe and great trip. NORTH TO ALASKA!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidO. View Post
Coupevillefish, I was considering the ferry on my way back, one question though I had was are there enough roads to wonder a ways from the ferry terminal and are there RV campgrounds if needed? Thanks for the comments.
There are a couple of RV parks in Juneau but I don't remember which one we stayed at. There is not a lot of places to wander there since it is surrunded by Glacier, We have been to Sitka and Skagway without the camper. Sitka has limitted roads, Skagway has a newer road that connexts up to Dawson Creek (I think.)

Around Anchorage and Fairbanks, there are lots of places to wander. We fished on the Kenai, stopped at Denalli, and checked out Fairbanks. From Fairbanks, you can follow the pipeline north to the Arctic Circel, but it is not an easy trip, limitted gas, and some rough roads, I am told.

As I recall, most of our camping was dry camping but it is not too hard on the batteries when it stays light till eleven or so. In the Anchorage area, we stayed with relatives so we did not use a commercial campground.

We did take a small generator, which was very helpful poweriing the vaccuum to clean up glass from the side window when a passing truck pitched a rock out sideways.

Along the Alcan, most of the campgrounds are rustic. We did not have trouble finding gas, but it was expensive, specially in Canada. As I recall, gas in the Anchorage area was about the same as WA at that time.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
2012 Solera

DavidO. - Not sure of our schedule yet, thinking leaving here (San Francisco Bay Area) around mid-May. Hoping the weather will be okay, and hoping to beat the summer crowds.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #9

Thinking of leaving NH first of June and traveling to Anchorage to visit son and grandchildren. Usually fly but want to do some exploring along the way and back. Ferry seems bit expensive, ESP from Bellingham. Has anyone had experience going through Canada from the North East?
Bikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #10

If you guys haven't already read this, here is a long but thoroughly enjoyable and very informative log of a couple's trip to Alaska last summer.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...128-25575.html

Any questions about the Canadian part of the trip, I'll be glad to help.

You have the trip of a lifetime ahead of you.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeski View Post
Thinking of leaving NH first of June and traveling to Anchorage to visit son and grandchildren. Usually fly but want to do some exploring along the way and back. Ferry seems bit expensive, ESP from Bellingham. Has anyone had experience going through Canada from the North East?
One of the easier routes from the NE would be to cross into Canada at Pembina/Emerson crossing. That would be I 29 north from Grand Forks N.D. continue on to Winnipeg, then west on the # 1 to the junction of the yellowhead hwy. (#16). From there continue on #16 (yellowhead) all the way to Edmonton, Alberta. From Edmonton west on yellowhead to junction of #43, #43 all the way to Dawson Creek which is mile 0 of the Alaska Hwy. Enjoy
Old 02-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #12

During our trip out west in 2011 we met several couples who were headed to Alaska. Two couples were taking the ferry at Prince Rupert together. They were going to get off the ferry at several places for a few days each. They had checked the cruise ship schedules and scheduled their stops around the cruise ships to avoid the cruise ship crowds.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #13

Yukon Don, your right about the log mention on message. I started last night and could not put it down and I am still not finished. Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
2012 Solera

X2 on the Iowa-to-Alaska blog.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #15

Check out Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping! Very informative book we used last summer on our trip to Alaska. Also used Milepost & Frommer's...between the three books everything was covered
Cyn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidO. View Post
Yukon Don, your right about the log mention on message. I started last night and could not put it down and I am still not finished. Thanks
I've actually gone back and reread it a couple of times.
It's that good.
They also took the coastal ferry -for those debating that option.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
Working the Life

We used to live in Fort Nelson, BC (Mile 300, Alaska Hwy) and traveled the roads from there to Dawson City, NWT. The roads are good but can be narrow in a few locations. Be sure to carry extra fuel as fuel stations are not plentiful.
There are a number of attractions that are a must see for anyone traveling the Alaska Hwy. Our favourite was the Liard Hot Springs (although they are more fun when it's -20 deg C.).
You will see more wildlife along the Alaska Hwy from Fort St. John to White Horse,NWT than any where else. We called it the Serengeti of the North.
Our trip to Dawson City is still the most memorable of all our trips. Unfortunately we spent too much time enjoying the sites and wern't able to get into Alaska other than a short jaunt over to Skagway.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

KD

KD Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
Working the Life

Oops... Correction required

Correction required to my last post.
I had listed Whitehorse and Dawson City as being NWT they should have been listed as Yukon Territory.
Oops.
What was I thinking.
My apologies if it created any confusion to our Southern friends.

KD

KD Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote