Old 01-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #1

North Washington State Coast

Planning on spending a few weeks in July. Looking at Birch Bay SP, Bay View SP, and Deception Pass SP. Also Fort Ebey SP or South Whidbey SP on Whidbey Island.

I'm assuming these parks are very busy in July and I will need reservations? Are any less crowded than others? Anyone have a favorite campsite at any of these parks? We prefer privacy over view. Power and water nice but not a must. Any other camping spots in the area we should consider?

Traveling in a 25' TT. Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:40 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

old cat, i'm a former NorCal resident that now lives in the area you're looking at.

Deception Pass is a great park and Birch Bay is very nice also.
Bay View faces a couple of refineries across the water, by Anacortes.
here's a camper's review:

June 8 Cabins good, Oil Refineries Bad
The park is nice and the Cabins are great. Clean, semi-private and a nice way to camp with kids. The bay + beach look out on to 2 oil refineries pumping white smoke into the air. Not so good. Deception Pass is a shrot drive away - recommend spending the day there.

but Anacortes is a great town but really busy in the summer, due to the ferry.

haven't camped at Ebey or S. Whidbey yet.

yes, you'll need reservations as these are very popular campgrounds.
if you want private, i can recommend Camano Island State Park, which is where i live. great out of the way campground but you still should do reservations.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:31 AM   #3

All will be crowded that time of year. All are nice, wooded parks. I have been to all of them but not necessarily camped.

Deception Pass is by far the largest. You need to be careful of the site size because ma b y are focused on tents and do no always provide sufficient or level parking. We prefer the Quay Pond area which at one time was private. It has water and electric with large sites. Enough privacy but still fairly open to get some sun.

I don't think the other two Whidbey parks have much for utilities, not even dump stations. We have used the sani station in Oak Harbor for about $5 when we need one.

There is also Washington Park in Anacortes. The access roads are a bit narrow but I think you can find a spot for a 24'. We checked out recently and it seemed pretty tight for our 35' class A. I think they take reservations but not as easy as the WA Parks reservation system.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:30 AM   #4

If I may suggest.

On your way there or on the way back take in Fort Stevens out of Astoria, WA. and the Lewis and Clark National Wildlife Refuge.

Also remember that this year the entrance fee for some if not all NP's will or have gone up,

https://www.google.com/#q=national+p...ance+fees+rise
Old 01-05-2015, 02:26 PM   #5

Washington Coast

Pt. Townsend is another great RV stop. Try Hudson Pt. Municipal RV Pk, right in town, right on the ocean. No better RV stop for dining, shopping for crafty things. Wonderful town.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #6

Thanks all for the very useful replies.

Bikendan - I see Camano Island State Park is a no reservation park. In July, if we get there early midweek should something be available?

Coupevillefish - is the dump station you mentioned at the Oak Harbor Beach Park?

Thanks again
Old 01-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcat View Post
Bikendan - I see Camano Island State Park is a no reservation park. In July, if we get there early midweek should something be available?
we haven't spent a summer here yet. moved here in August so i don't know.
i'd call the Park and ask them. they are very helpful.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcat View Post
Thanks all for the very useful replies.

Coupevillefish - is the dump station you mentioned at the Oak Harbor Beach Park?

Thanks again
Yes.

Someone mentioned Port Townsend. If you are not otherwise planning on touring the peninsula, you can park or camp on this side and walk across. Fort Casey is next to the ferry and is a great place to visit but the campground is not very private. On the water but few trees or other amenities.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #9

Just don't forget to eat lots of fish and chips with clam chowder. Always my favorite thing to do when we are on the coast. I hope you get the best sunsets over the ocean. We also really enjoyed all the fireworks on the 4th of July from the Wash. beaches!
Old 01-06-2015, 12:06 AM   #10

My wife and I spent two weeks along the Washington coast in September of 2013 but more down along the south part than what you have mentioned. If you are down along the south coast Grayland Beach State Park was our favorite, very nice campground on the ocean. We stayed in site #82, it had power and water hookups and was a 1 - 2 minute walk to the ocean. Very clean sites with very clean washrooms and showers. One night we drove our truck onto the beach (you are allowed to do that), flew a kite, built a fire, BBQ dinner and watched the sunset. You can also drive into Westport and sit on the outdoor patio at the Islander and watch the fishing boats come in and out. We also stayed at Cape Disappointment State Park which is right across the water from Oregon. It is also a nice park but was to busy for our liking.

2013 Rockwood Ultralite 2604WS
EnjoyingLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washington