Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ohio to western locations - Advice

Next summer, mid June, we are planning a 2-3 week trip out west. We will travel from Dayton, OH to Minnesota for a wedding, then head west from there. We will probably go through Yellowstone, maybe head to coast. Looking for what sights to see along the way, best routes, places to stay. We are looking to make our itinerary and major stops in the next month or so. I know there are pinterest and blog pages out there of people who have done this, if you know of a good one, please pass it on.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I know one stop you should make.....
Jus sayin

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
If coming out to coast, Oregon has the best scenic hwy...101, and lots of rv parks. Fuel prices not bad compared to Calif. In Oregon, they pump your fuel. Wyoming and South Dakota lots of head winds on I-90, but, there's lots of things to see, one of which is no CORN.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #4

I would definitely bypass the toll roads in the Chicago area. It can get quite pricey pulling a trailer.
2020 Ram 3500 Dually with HD Cummins TD
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddphillips52 View Post
I would definitely bypass the toll roads in the Chicago area. It can get quite pricey pulling a trailer.
Only one toll on 80 thru Chicago.
And it wasn't bad.

That is if your going thru the topside of Indiana.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
Site Team

If you want to camp on the coast, in June, you'll need to make reservations 6 months in advance.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
If you'd tell the masses what your interests are, might get some more answers.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Next summer, mid June, we are planning a 2-3 week trip out west. We will travel from Dayton, OH to Minnesota for a wedding, then head west from there. We will probably go through Yellowstone, maybe head to coast. Looking for what sights to see along the way, best routes, places to stay. We are looking to make our itinerary and major stops in the next month or so. I know there are pinterest and blog pages out there of people who have done this, if you know of a good one, please pass it on.
If your staying the Twin Cities I like Lebanon Hills Regional Park Campground , Apple Valley, MN. There's FHU, WIFI, clean & grassy but no pool. It's 10 minutes south of the Mall of America and next to the zoo. This where I stay when I visit my daughter.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #9

Utah

WE are near Zion and went up to Bryce. These parks are amazing! Deffinately worth the stop on the way west.

Lee

2015 Ceder Creek 36CKTS
LeNe4847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #10

We recommend Mt. Rushmore area, in S. Dakota and Devils Tower in Eastern Wyoming. If you go through N. California, check out Ft. Bragg area on north coast. We used to tent camp in McKerricher State Park. Lots of great Colorado State Parks with FHU options.
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks for all the great tips and advice so far! Our interests are all across the board and want to see parts of the country we haven't yet. Rushmore is the only definite on the list so far. We've been to Yellowstone, but have family there so we'll stop for a visit. I think we will visit Oregon, Northern CA. We'll take a northern route out, but not sure on return trip, that's still open.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #12

I would have to agree with Bryce and Zion, I also LOVE MOAB, UT. I go here once a year minimum, usually twice! Arches in Moab is fun and beautiful. The river and river canyon is amazing.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
I would have to agree with Bryce and Zion, I also LOVE MOAB, UT. I go here once a year minimum, usually twice! Arches in Moab is fun and beautiful. The river and river canyon is amazing.
That does sound good. Added to the list. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #14

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
If you go to the Black Hills to see Rushmore and Devils Tower, make sure you include Crazy Horse right down the road from Rushmore. If you hit Yellowstone,,,be sure to hit Grand Teton National Park and Glacier National Park. Craters of the Moon in southern Idaho is something else. We are from central Texas and we worked at an RV park on the Oregon coast that we loved.....Turtle Rock RV Park in Gold Beach, Oregon....right next to Highway 101 and the Pacific. The Oregon coast with its seastacks is second to none. The lighthouses are an interesting tour ...especially the one at Battery Point in Crescent City, California. In northern California,,,,you have the Redwood Forests, Lassen Volcano National Park, Mt Shasta, ....further south is Yosemite, which I consider God's living room,,,,further south is Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Park....fantastic trees that blow your mind with their size. Coming east from there is Death Valley....quite an experience. Then there're 5 national parks in Utah,,,,all of them distinctively different from the others: Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Canyonlands, and Arches. Dead Horse State Park near Canyonlands and Moab has a view that will blow you away. The San Juan Skyway in the southwest part of Colorado is stunning from Dolores, Rico, Tellurida, Placerville, Ridgway, Ouray, Silverton and Durango. Mesa Verde National Park is near that area and worth the visit. Then you have Royal Gorge, Pikes Peak, and Garden of the Gods in the Front Range of the Rockies in Colorado. You wouldn't be able to do all this on one trip,,,,,but all that I mentioned are worth the visits.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #15

If you go through South Dakota I would recommend a stop at Wall Drug. If you're going through North Dakota into Montana then I would recommend going to Custer National battlefield. If you go across South Dakota and Wyoming Cody would be another good stop. I've done all 48 continental states and Alaska on a motorcycle so I'm pretty familiar with different things to see.
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #16

Ditto on Moab Utah. You have to really good national parks right there Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. It is well worth the stop.
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #17

Oregon state parks are an awesome value for camping - $30-$35 a night for full hookups. You will have to book in advance (or be flexible on locations) on the weekends during the summer (june to aug)
reserveamerica.com
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
If your staying the Twin Cities I like Lebanon Hills Regional Park Campground , Apple Valley, MN. There's FHU, WIFI, clean & grassy but no pool. It's 10 minutes south of the Mall of America and next to the zoo. This where I stay when I visit my daughter.

Any reccomendations for the north side of the Twin Cities?
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #19

Sounds like a lot for 2-3 weeks, but should still be fun.
rovinglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #20
RetiredRVer

If you're actually intent on going to the west coast, with an intermediate stop in Mn, I believe you will need more then 2 or 3 weeks. All you will be doing is driving! We left from Ohio (N.E.) in 2014 with stops in S. Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and back to Ohio. Took us 5 weeks, and we weren't able to see everything we wanted to. You could do it in 2 or 3 weeks, but you won't be anyplace very long. Good luck with your trip!
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location, ohio