Old 10-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
One club vs. another

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm sure someone will point me in the right direction if this thread should be somewhere else. Having just got our TT 2 weeks ago, I've been trying to find someplace close to home, not too expensive, etc, etc, etc. Just so that we can set the trailer up and see how things are going. So, I ran across a number of RV clubs and directories (I love the free ones), magazines and just tons of info. Two of the "clubs" I ran across cost between 25 to 40 dollars a year to have access to their directory that also give up 50% discounts for as little as one night of stay and saw up to two weeks 50% discount at one RV park.

Has anyone used any of these clubs, are they worth the initial outlay, does one really get the discounts or is just a gimmick? I just called one RV park close by, that is listed in both directories (I don't want to name them, because I'm not out to slam anyone, just get info). I asked the owner about the two clubs...he kind of blew me off, in a nice way, and advised me he always gives great discounts and if we're over 50 yoa the nightly cost was only $2.oo more than the "50% off the 1 night offer"...ok, doing the math we would save $30 for 2 nights, vs $18 saved for the first night and full price for night 2. Obviously, I'm not going to purchase the membership just yet, but I am curious if they really do save any money in the long run. Thanks for suggestions! Great travels!! Jac

Jac & Phil in the Northern CA High Desert
2002 Ram 2500 pulling a 2014 Tracer 2640RLS,
7 horses, 0 cats, 1 dog, 2 kids and 1 grandson
2013 2 nights, 2014 34 nights
Jac and Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Try the RV Park Review web site.
Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews
We use it when researching places to stay in different locations.

2015 Ford Expedition EL
2012 Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
There are probably some with better info but from my bit of research I think it really depends on what your looking for and what you want to do.

For instance I could get a membership at XYZ club save 10% per visit and only go once and not make it worth it..

Or same club 10% off for 30 days of camping will be more than worth it.

Another option is state parks or other lower cost parks where you save 50-75% of the cost of staying at on of the club parks.

The trade off is some of your clubs offer more of a resort/entertainment type of community with all the amenities vs a state park with little or no hooks ups and basic if any amenities

If it were just me and the DW state park or a farm camp would be fine if we were traveling but with kids I'm looking for something more than just a spot.

Hope this helps a little....
2004 V10 4X4 Excursion
2014 FR Wildwood 32BHDS
2013 Days Camped 14
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
AAA discount, some places give a discount to Vet's.
Check with the place you want to stay at and do NOT be afraid to ask about discounted rates.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
This is subjective. When I did my research I looked at several memberships. I started with one that offered a great discount for Military, and then I've added a couple more for different reasons. We use RV parks on the road (don't care for hotels). We use state and national parks often, military family camps. So we're all over the place. It depends what our adventure is as to what we'll use for our memberships.

Memberships are good for reviews of campgrounds, discounts on parks, products, RV insurance and roadside assistance. Also Rallies to meet new friends.

It really depends on what you like to do and what you want to get out of your membership. The last couple of years we've stay in our TT at least 30 day or more per season so we've gotten our money back on our membership investments.

I have my opinions on what memberships work for me. I would gladly share if interested.

Happy Camping!

2006 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 5.9L Cummins 4X4
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD Fatboy Lo & 2000 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (Planning)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Thank you all for your wonderful input!!! Good intentions say we are going to camp out every other weekend once the weather breaks....realistically, I hope we get to camp at least 1/2 of those weekends. Most of our camping will be boondocking it and/or limited campgrounds. However, we stayed in the TT the two nights it took to get home when we bought RV parks, kind of nice having our motel room with us and not having to worry about water, sewer and electric. We did get Good Sam discounts at both parks...nice but not anything like 50% off. But, I see your point....we need to think about how many nights we will actually be traveling long distance to stay at a Park...good point, thanks!! I think I'm going to think some more on if it is worth it or not.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
I think Good Sam is good because it also gets you discounts at Camping World. Personally, I don't use any clubs because it could limit where I stay because I am to worried about "Getting the bargain" instead of choosing a campground I want to go to because of amenities.

It also kinda like shopping at Sam's Club. You can go broke saving money...
2016 Siverback 33IK
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Super Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
I know what you mean...our first stop when we picked up the TT was At least I don't have to worry about my membership expiring...we're now up to four years...just to get a sweet deal on something or the other. Good thing we don't have a CW near us!

I can see having a membership that is good at a lot of parks and campgrounds...I just want to make I find the one that is going to work for us. Besides boondocking, we plan on visiting family, taking trips we haven't taken and as soon as I retire and sell a couple of horses, we plan on some long cross country traveling... I think it would be great to pull into a RV park once or twice a week to refresh ourselves along the way...but I could be wrong...but the input here has been helpful, and given me food for thought (or is that thought for food?). Thanks, Jac
Old 10-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #9
I joined Passport America about 4 years ago. On our first cross country trip towing a fifth wheel, the discounts (50%)paid for the membership in the first three times we stopped for the night. I make sure I am up to date on my membership when we travel. The few times that we are restricted from discounts because of dates, there is usually an alternate RV stop, or Walmart. The worst that can happen is that you have to pay full price. There are still alternatives for 10% or 15% through Good Sam or AAA, etc. Additionally, I can say that I have found some of the best and friendliest RV parks through Passport America. Places I would not have looked for otherwise, but turned out to be real gems, and I will return to these places.
John and Veronica +Foster el pero fiel, in Arizona,
2006 Ram 3500 Diesel pulling a 2013 Vibe 6501
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Moderators' Assistant
i don't consider Good Sam that great of a deal, when every place i've been that give a 10% discount, gives the same discount for AAA and AARP members.
we have owned a PA membership before and will rejoin when we retire next year.
PA is the best deal out there, for discounts. but you have to be fine with the restrictions, which tend to favor retirees, than those with only weekends and holidays off.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote