Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #1

Our first Yellowstone Trip

We just bought a 40ft Cedar Creek 36CK2 and a 2014 F350 SRW,CC,SB Powerstroke. Taking it out for a couple short weekend trips around the Dallas area but our 1st real trip is mid May to mid June. We're heading north out of Dallas, driving up through Kansas and then into Nebraska. Spend a couple days in Omaha visiting family. Then we're reading over to the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore area for 4 days. From there, we're swinging over to Devils Monument for 3 days. Then we're heading north and going all the way up to the Grasslands National Park in Saskatchewan Canada for a couple days. Then heading west to Glacier National Park for 3 days. Then south to Billings Mt to pick up family. Then heading to Yellowstone for 10 days. We've already booked at Grizzly RV campground. We've also booked a river rafting trip while there -
I'm sure that water is freezing... Then heading down to Salt Lake to drop family off. Then we're heading southeast to Colorado and the Canyons of the Ancients National Monument for a couple days. Then heading over to Carlsbad for a couple days before heading back to Dallas. We've got campgrounds booked in Rushmore, Devils Monument, Glacier, Billings and Yellowstone. After that, we may just wing it on the way back. Planned for 33 days and right at 5000 miles. Can't wait to get out and see all this country. Pictures for sure to follow.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #2

Stop by the Custer Battlefield in Montana when you leave Devils tower. Very interesting. Yes, water will be frigid with the snow melt that time of year.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #3

we are leaving home late May and going the same basic route without the Canada part to Grizzly then down to Heber city,ut for the Cedar Creek rally. You should join us there
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #4

Would recommend KOA in West Yellowstone. Great full service RV park and close to entrance to yellowstone. We use it as a base camp when we go to Yellowstone and fly fish. Best reserve space now. BTW, we live in Boise
jrw711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
code.org

West Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park

We did 10 days in Yellowstone last year in Sept/Oct and stayed at Grizzly RV. Great park with great people running it, however, the park was pretty empty that time of year. There is forest on two sides of the park with lots of trails. The entrance to Yellowstone is only about a mile from the park.

Be sure to check out the Wild West Pizzeria & Saloon and the Running Bear Pancake House, two of the better restaurants in town.

By far, the best trip we have ever taken. Hope you enjoy Yellowstone as much as we did.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
We just bought a 40ft Cedar Creek 36CK2 and a 2014 F350 SRW,CC,SB Powerstroke. Taking it out for a couple short weekend trips around the Dallas area but our 1st real trip is mid May to mid June. We're heading north out of Dallas, driving up through Kansas and then into Nebraska. Spend a couple days in Omaha visiting family. Then we're reading over to the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore area for 4 days. From there, we're swinging over to Devils Monument for 3 days. Then we're heading north and going all the way up to the Grasslands National Park in Saskatchewan Canada for a couple days. Then heading west to Glacier National Park for 3 days. Then south to Billings Mt to pick up family. Then heading to Yellowstone for 10 days. We've already booked at Grizzly RV campground. We've also booked a river rafting trip while there -
I'm sure that water is freezing... Then heading down to Salt Lake to drop family off. Then we're heading southeast to Colorado and the Canyons of the Ancients National Monument for a couple days. Then heading over to Carlsbad for a couple days before heading back to Dallas. We've got campgrounds booked in Rushmore, Devils Monument, Glacier, Billings and Yellowstone. After that, we may just wing it on the way back. Planned for 33 days and right at 5000 miles. Can't wait to get out and see all this country. Pictures for sure to follow.

If you have the time exit, or enter from the east side and visit Cody, WY. Amazing drive and very cool town for all ages.
MTSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
Herschel

Our first Yellowstone trip

I am a Floridian. That said, you know I have limited experience towing in mountains. Later this summer, I will be approaching Yellowstone from the west (Washington) on Interstate 90. I ran across this quote regarding Interstate 90 on Wikipedia: "From the west I-90 enters Montana on the summit of Lookout Pass. It passes next to Missoula and runs through Butte, where it connects with I-15 for close to eight miles (13 km), before crossing the continental divide just east of Butte where it goes over Homestake Pass, which is 6,329 feet (1,929 m) in elevation, the highest point for the Interstate." Now, I am pulling a travel trailer with my Ram 1500/Hemi V-8, which has been a good rig on reasonable hills such as I have encountered in Tennessee and in the Southwest. But, 6,329 ft. passes are just a little intimidating. I downshift, of course, and settle in at a comfortable 35-40 m.p.h. in 3rd gear. Any advice for me as I approach Homestake Pass and others on Interstate 90?
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma26RLSS View Post
I am a Floridian. That said, you know I have limited experience towing in mountains. Later this summer, I will be approaching Yellowstone from the west (Washington) on Interstate 90. I ran across this quote regarding Interstate 90 on Wikipedia: "From the west I-90 enters Montana on the summit of Lookout Pass. It passes next to Missoula and runs through Butte, where it connects with I-15 for close to eight miles (13 km), before crossing the continental divide just east of Butte where it goes over Homestake Pass, which is 6,329 feet (1,929 m) in elevation, the highest point for the Interstate." Now, I am pulling a travel trailer with my Ram 1500/Hemi V-8, which has been a good rig on reasonable hills such as I have encountered in Tennessee and in the Southwest. But, 6,329 ft. passes are just a little intimidating. I downshift, of course, and settle in at a comfortable 35-40 m.p.h. in 3rd gear. Any advice for me as I approach Homestake Pass and others on Interstate 90?

Brakes are the big concern in the mountains out here. I keep it slow in cruise control. The engine will up and down shift for you, keeping you at your comfortable speed.
I drive over the Homestake pass all the time, as I live just east of the pass and Butte is the closest town. You'll have people cruising fast so don't let people tailgate and push you faster than you want.
The good part is other than a few miles of "cities" here and there, the traffic is very light.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:03 AM   #9

On a side note.....if your trip is late summer or into the early fall the park slows down the later the season gets. A much more enjoyable time because the crowds aren't as big everywhere. And if your lucky you may hear the elk bugle. Amazing if you've never heard it in person
Old 03-04-2018, 12:14 AM   #10

I'll keep an eye out for you while you're in Omaha. I'm in Bellevue, just across the county line. Have a good trip and be sure to check the roads in Glacier, sometimes they open late due to heavy snow pack thru the winter.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSparky View Post
On a side note.....if your trip is late summer or into the early fall the park slows down the later the season gets. A much more enjoyable time because the crowds aren't as big everywhere. And if your lucky you may hear the elk bugle. Amazing if you've never heard it in person
Heard them bugle in the canyons of the Bitterroot Mountains in Montana while backpacking with my brother years ago. Gave me goosebumps.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Heard them bugle in the canyons of the Bitterroot Mountains in Montana while backpacking with my brother years ago. Gave me goosebumps.

Absolutely. It never gets old
Old 03-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #13
Herschel

our first Yellowstone trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I'll keep an eye out for you while you're in Omaha. I'm in Bellevue, just across the county line. Have a good trip and be sure to check the roads in Glacier, sometimes they open late due to heavy snow pack thru the winter.
We plan to be through in early July. Could you tell me what the typical grade of the road is on Interstate 90 over the passes, especially the highest one? Any snow in July?
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote