Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelon View Post
I have been to Yellowstone once. The Campground we stayed at did not have roomy spaces for our trailer... we didn't enjoy opening our door into a tree or having to hang out of the space to get around it. We tried 3 spaces too! I will check out Grizzly next time... or camp outside of the park.
thanks
I understand. There's no question some of the campgrounds are really tight. The first time we camped in Yellowstone we stayed at the Madison campground with our 28 foot fifth wheel. Our site was a pull through but because of a tree I had to back out of that spot when we left.
When we moved up to a 32 foot fifth wheel we had real issues trying to get into a site at the Bridge Bay campground. Now that we have a 35 foot fifth wheel that is 13 feet tall I won't even consider trying to stay within the park.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #12

One major feature in Yellowstone that we visit every time we go to the park is the Lower Falls on the Yellowstone River in the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. This is a 308 foot waterfall and a must see for anyone visiting Yellowstone.

This photo doesnít begin to show the vastness of the canyon. Lower Falls can be seen as a small white stripe near the top of the photo.

If you go early in the morning on a sunny day you will be treated to a rainbow in the mist of the falls.

There are viewing areas of the falls on both the north and south side of the river. On the walk to Lookout Point on the north side of the river look for the Osprey nest sitting on top of a rock formation deep within the canyon. Hopefully you have binoculars with you to spot the nest. There were two Osprey on the nest which I took this photo.

There are also trails that will get you closer to the falls and one will take you right to the brink of the Lower Falls. You can see people at the brink in the upper right hand portion of the photo.

Some of these trails are very steep with switchbacks and in some area there are stairs. Going down isnít bad; itís the hike back up that can get you huffing and a puffing. The views are worth it though.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #13
Incheon, S. Korea

Great pictures! Thanks. We enjoyed Yellowstone, too!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Great pictures! Thanks. We enjoyed Yellowstone, too!
Thank you. The beauty of Yellowstone makes it easy to take good photos.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #15

It goes without saying that watching an eruption of Old Faithful is a must see for Yellowstone visitors. People start gathering in the main viewing area a good 40 minutes before an eruption to get the best seats. By the time Old Faithful erupts the crowds can be very large.

If you enjoy taking pictures consider the short hike up to Observation Point for a view of an eruption from a different perspective. You will leave the crowds behind on this hike.

As RamLab2 mentioned, hiking is a great way to get away from the crowds. I think itís one of the best ways to see Yellowstone. You can find beautiful areas and even find some hot springs that few other visitors see. Itís almost like having the wilderness to yourself.

The next three photos were taken while hiking on a short back trail to the Daisy Geyser area.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #16

Yellowstone is such a national treasure. We've been just once several years ago, but after enjoying these pics with my morning coffee, I'm convinced we'll return within a year or two...

Thanks Oakman...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
Site Team

Great pics, Oakman. Thanks for sharing.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Great pics, Oakman. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you. The darn thing about posting photos is it makes me want to go back again next year. Yellowstone is the only place that got under my skin and makes me itch to go again and again.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #19

Have been first time in Yellowstone N.P. In 1978 and many times since then. Still like it and it's neighbor Grand Teton N.P.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #20

We always carry a pair of binoculars in the car with us when visiting Yellowstone. While there are times when animals will be close to the road, other times they might be in a valley or hillside hundreds of yards away.

Almost every morning and evening we would see Elk along the road leading to the west entrance/exit of the park. One evening as we watched six female elk feeding in a field about 150 yards from the road the scene suddenly seemed to change slightly. Four calves that had been hiding in the tall grass raised their heads. Had it not been for their ears and our binoculars I donít think we would have noticed them.
These photos arenít the best because of the low light conditions and I had to use the digital zoom on my camera.

Some of the females feeding.

Four calves stick their heads up.

We watched these Elk for a long time and then a buck just seemed to appear from nowhere.

Of course there were times when the Elk were very close to the road. Anytime animals are close to the road it will cause a major traffic tie-up.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788