Old 10-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

Our Trip to Yellowstone NP

We used Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, MT as a base for visiting Yellowstone NP from Aug 28th through Sept 7th. The park is well kept, very close to the west entrance to Yellowstone, and pricey.

The season for the Old West Dinner Cookout was closing on Sep 2nd so the day after our arrival we did the Old West Dinner Cookout at the Roosevelt area. We rode the covered wagon to the cookout camp rather than do the horseback ride. Iím gettingí too old to ride horses and besides, I didnít want to be sore for days afterward.

Hereís a pic of the cowboy camp.

While the cooks were preparing our meal we were entertained by Dallas McCord and his guitar.

Soft drinks, tea, and cowboy coffee was available with our dinner. The cowboy coffee was surprisingly good.

The food was good and plentiful but the steaks were tough.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #2

We did that one as well and really enjoyed it. It is amazing how much variation there is from one end of the park to the other!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #3

I love Yellowstone! I have been three times and my eleven yr old has been twice. Lots to see in and out of the park. Did you get to check out earthquake lake out the west side? Planning another trip out their summer of 2016- family reunion when family is back from overseas service. Not to mention Grand Teton NP is near by as well with a boat tour of the lake in the park. My daughter got to drive the boat when she was younger.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamLab2 View Post
I love Yellowstone! I have been three times and my eleven yr old has been twice. Lots to see in and out of the park. Did you get to check out earthquake lake out the west side? Planning another trip out their summer of 2016- family reunion when family is back from overseas service. Not to mention Grand Teton NP is near by as well with a boat tour of the lake in the park. My daughter got to drive the boat when she was younger.
I'll bet your daughter loved driving the boat. I guess that was on Jenny Lake? We didn't make it to Earthquake Lake, so many things to see, so little time.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #5

On the way to the Norris Geyser Basin we stopped at Terrace Springs. I donít know why I like Terrace Springs so much, perhaps itís because most folks just drive on by without stopping. The springs arenít as spectacular as most other thermal features in the park but the scenery is still beautiful.

Terrace Springs viewed from the upper spring.

The lower spring at the terrace

Our next stop on the trip was Gibbon Falls. Iíve never been able to do justice to waterfalls in my photos. The falls are much more beautiful than they appear in these photos.

To give a little perspective, in the photo below if you look in the upper left hand corner you can barely make out some folks at the upper overlook of Gibbon Falls.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #6

Also just another FYI, the sad fact about Yellowstone- Only 6% of the visitors to Yellowstone hike the many beautiful trails they have. Granted you have to go to a Ranger class and carry bear mace, but it is so worth it. @Oakman I do believe that was Jenny Lake.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #7

I thought that first picture was of a 2-horse mobile camping unit.....

Looked like a great time.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #8

Nice shots of Terrace. Yours have compelled me to take another look at the pictures I snapped. Comforting to know someone else out there thinks this turn off is as neat as I do. When we day tripped we'd stop by at night before getting back into the campground so most of our shots are in dim lighting. Almost always we were left to ourselves or a couple other people would stop in for a couple minutes and then it was ours again.

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #9

I have been to Yellowstone once. The Campground we stayed at did not have roomy spaces for our trailer... we didn't enjoy opening our door into a tree or having to hang out of the space to get around it. We tried 3 spaces too! I will check out Grizzly next time... or camp outside of the park.
thanks
Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #10

It takes me forever to get anywhere in Yellowstone. The scenery is so beautiful I find myself stopping at many of the pullouts along the roads in the park. Once we arrive at a major feature in the park I want to stay there forever just soaking up the beauty. Here are a few pics I took of the Porcelain Basin in the Norris Geyser Basin area.

Itís easy to tell why this section is called the Porcelain Basin.

The various shades of blue in some of the hot springs are stunning.

Some of the runoff channels from the hot springs and geysers contain beautiful colors caused by bacteria and algae growth.

Trees in the geyser basins have a tough life. They absorb the Calcium Carbonate and other minerals produced by the hot springs and it slowly kills them.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788