Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #1

Our Trip to Yellowstone NP

We used Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, MT as a base for visiting Yellowstone NP from Aug 28th through Sept 7th. The park is well kept, very close to the west entrance to Yellowstone, and pricey.

The season for the Old West Dinner Cookout was closing on Sep 2nd so the day after our arrival we did the Old West Dinner Cookout at the Roosevelt area. We rode the covered wagon to the cookout camp rather than do the horseback ride. I’m getting’ too old to ride horses and besides, I didn’t want to be sore for days afterward.

Here’s a pic of the cowboy camp.

While the cooks were preparing our meal we were entertained by Dallas McCord and his guitar.

Soft drinks, tea, and cowboy coffee was available with our dinner. The cowboy coffee was surprisingly good.

The food was good and plentiful but the steaks were tough.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #2

We did that one as well and really enjoyed it. It is amazing how much variation there is from one end of the park to the other!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #3

I love Yellowstone! I have been three times and my eleven yr old has been twice. Lots to see in and out of the park. Did you get to check out earthquake lake out the west side? Planning another trip out their summer of 2016- family reunion when family is back from overseas service. Not to mention Grand Teton NP is near by as well with a boat tour of the lake in the park. My daughter got to drive the boat when she was younger.
RamLab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamLab2 View Post
I love Yellowstone! I have been three times and my eleven yr old has been twice. Lots to see in and out of the park. Did you get to check out earthquake lake out the west side? Planning another trip out their summer of 2016- family reunion when family is back from overseas service. Not to mention Grand Teton NP is near by as well with a boat tour of the lake in the park. My daughter got to drive the boat when she was younger.
I'll bet your daughter loved driving the boat. I guess that was on Jenny Lake? We didn't make it to Earthquake Lake, so many things to see, so little time.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #5

On the way to the Norris Geyser Basin we stopped at Terrace Springs. I don’t know why I like Terrace Springs so much, perhaps it’s because most folks just drive on by without stopping. The springs aren’t as spectacular as most other thermal features in the park but the scenery is still beautiful.

Terrace Springs viewed from the upper spring.

The lower spring at the terrace

Our next stop on the trip was Gibbon Falls. I’ve never been able to do justice to waterfalls in my photos. The falls are much more beautiful than they appear in these photos.

To give a little perspective, in the photo below if you look in the upper left hand corner you can barely make out some folks at the upper overlook of Gibbon Falls.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #6

Also just another FYI, the sad fact about Yellowstone- Only 6% of the visitors to Yellowstone hike the many beautiful trails they have. Granted you have to go to a Ranger class and carry bear mace, but it is so worth it. @Oakman I do believe that was Jenny Lake.
RamLab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #7

I thought that first picture was of a 2-horse mobile camping unit.....

Looked like a great time.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #8

Nice shots of Terrace. Yours have compelled me to take another look at the pictures I snapped. Comforting to know someone else out there thinks this turn off is as neat as I do. When we day tripped we'd stop by at night before getting back into the campground so most of our shots are in dim lighting. Almost always we were left to ourselves or a couple other people would stop in for a couple minutes and then it was ours again.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #9

I have been to Yellowstone once. The Campground we stayed at did not have roomy spaces for our trailer... we didn't enjoy opening our door into a tree or having to hang out of the space to get around it. We tried 3 spaces too! I will check out Grizzly next time... or camp outside of the park.
thanks
travelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #10

It takes me forever to get anywhere in Yellowstone. The scenery is so beautiful I find myself stopping at many of the pullouts along the roads in the park. Once we arrive at a major feature in the park I want to stay there forever just soaking up the beauty. Here are a few pics I took of the Porcelain Basin in the Norris Geyser Basin area.

It’s easy to tell why this section is called the Porcelain Basin.

The various shades of blue in some of the hot springs are stunning.

Some of the runoff channels from the hot springs and geysers contain beautiful colors caused by bacteria and algae growth.

Trees in the geyser basins have a tough life. They absorb the Calcium Carbonate and other minerals produced by the hot springs and it slowly kills them.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelon View Post
I have been to Yellowstone once. The Campground we stayed at did not have roomy spaces for our trailer... we didn't enjoy opening our door into a tree or having to hang out of the space to get around it. We tried 3 spaces too! I will check out Grizzly next time... or camp outside of the park.
thanks
I understand. There's no question some of the campgrounds are really tight. The first time we camped in Yellowstone we stayed at the Madison campground with our 28 foot fifth wheel. Our site was a pull through but because of a tree I had to back out of that spot when we left.
When we moved up to a 32 foot fifth wheel we had real issues trying to get into a site at the Bridge Bay campground. Now that we have a 35 foot fifth wheel that is 13 feet tall I won't even consider trying to stay within the park.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #12

One major feature in Yellowstone that we visit every time we go to the park is the Lower Falls on the Yellowstone River in the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. This is a 308 foot waterfall and a must see for anyone visiting Yellowstone.

This photo doesn’t begin to show the vastness of the canyon. Lower Falls can be seen as a small white stripe near the top of the photo.

If you go early in the morning on a sunny day you will be treated to a rainbow in the mist of the falls.

There are viewing areas of the falls on both the north and south side of the river. On the walk to Lookout Point on the north side of the river look for the Osprey nest sitting on top of a rock formation deep within the canyon. Hopefully you have binoculars with you to spot the nest. There were two Osprey on the nest which I took this photo.

There are also trails that will get you closer to the falls and one will take you right to the brink of the Lower Falls. You can see people at the brink in the upper right hand portion of the photo.

Some of these trails are very steep with switchbacks and in some area there are stairs. Going down isn’t bad; it’s the hike back up that can get you huffing and a puffing. The views are worth it though.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #13
Incheon, S. Korea

Great pictures! Thanks. We enjoyed Yellowstone, too!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Great pictures! Thanks. We enjoyed Yellowstone, too!
Thank you. The beauty of Yellowstone makes it easy to take good photos.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #15

It goes without saying that watching an eruption of Old Faithful is a must see for Yellowstone visitors. People start gathering in the main viewing area a good 40 minutes before an eruption to get the best seats. By the time Old Faithful erupts the crowds can be very large.

If you enjoy taking pictures consider the short hike up to Observation Point for a view of an eruption from a different perspective. You will leave the crowds behind on this hike.

As RamLab2 mentioned, hiking is a great way to get away from the crowds. I think it’s one of the best ways to see Yellowstone. You can find beautiful areas and even find some hot springs that few other visitors see. It’s almost like having the wilderness to yourself.

The next three photos were taken while hiking on a short back trail to the Daisy Geyser area.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #16

Yellowstone is such a national treasure. We've been just once several years ago, but after enjoying these pics with my morning coffee, I'm convinced we'll return within a year or two...

Thanks Oakman...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
Site Team

Great pics, Oakman. Thanks for sharing.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Great pics, Oakman. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you. The darn thing about posting photos is it makes me want to go back again next year. Yellowstone is the only place that got under my skin and makes me itch to go again and again.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #19

Have been first time in Yellowstone N.P. In 1978 and many times since then. Still like it and it's neighbor Grand Teton N.P.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #20

We always carry a pair of binoculars in the car with us when visiting Yellowstone. While there are times when animals will be close to the road, other times they might be in a valley or hillside hundreds of yards away.

Almost every morning and evening we would see Elk along the road leading to the west entrance/exit of the park. One evening as we watched six female elk feeding in a field about 150 yards from the road the scene suddenly seemed to change slightly. Four calves that had been hiding in the tall grass raised their heads. Had it not been for their ears and our binoculars I don’t think we would have noticed them.
These photos aren’t the best because of the low light conditions and I had to use the digital zoom on my camera.

Some of the females feeding.

Four calves stick their heads up.

We watched these Elk for a long time and then a buck just seemed to appear from nowhere.

Of course there were times when the Elk were very close to the road. Anytime animals are close to the road it will cause a major traffic tie-up.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788