Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #21

Make sure you visit Mt. Hood, being that close. Lost Creek CG is excellent. There is dispersed on the road out to it, as well. On the other side of 26 is a small CG, can't think of the name, but Zigzag ranger station is right there for info. There is a lot to see in the Gorge. I would recommend seeing Bonneville Dam and Multnomah Falls for sure... go early and on a week day. Great hiking all around there. All the CGs near the Columbia are also close to train tracks, FYI. I also wandered down to Maupin and BLM dispersed camping... thats the Deschutes River. I could spend a summer in the Mt. Hood area, no doubt.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #22

Cape Lookout State Park! And Pelican Brewery at Pacific City while you are there.
klickitatjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
There is a lot to see in the Gorge. I would recommend seeing Bonneville Dam and Multnomah Falls for sure... go early and on a week day. Great hiking all around there. WW

Thanks WolfWhistle!
Larzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by klickitatjim View Post
Cape Lookout State Park!
On my to do list klickitatjim. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #25

I have stayed overnight at the large turn outs at Pistol River about 10mi north of Brookings several times and have never been bothered by the hwy patrol. In the summer there will usually be several campers with you. I takled to the local hwy patrolman and he said they won’t bother anyone unless they are there for more than 3 days in one spot. People that want to stay longer just move to another pullout. This is a prime spot for windboarding and para surfing. The rigs you will see there range from really karge motorhomes to teardrop trailers. I love the place. Take everything you need with you. There is no water available or shopping within 10 miles.
Themeads46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themeads46 View Post
I have stayed overnight at the large turn outs at Pistol River about 10mi north of Brookings several times and have never been bothered by the hwy patrol. In the summer there will usually be several campers with you. I takled to the local hwy patrolman and he said they won’t bother anyone unless they are there for more than 3 days in one spot. People that want to stay longer just move to another pullout. This is a prime spot for windboarding and para surfing. The rigs you will see there range from really karge motorhomes to teardrop trailers. I love the place. Take everything you need with you. There is no water available or shopping within 10 miles.
After posting this the other day oregon dot has posted signs saying no overnight parking. They say this is to stop the homeless from parking for long periods. Another case of government punishing everyone because a few people cause problems. I moved out of California because I hated the state gov, it looks like I may have to look for greener pastures again. So Sad.
Themeads46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themeads46 View Post
After posting this the other day oregon dot has posted signs saying no overnight parking. They say this is to stop the homeless from parking for long periods. Another case of government punishing everyone because a few people cause problems. I moved out of California because I hated the state gov, it looks like I may have to look for greener pastures again. So Sad.
Thanks much for the update on this. If my wife comes with me it might be motels instead she worries about everything.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzy View Post
Thanks much for the update on this. If my wife comes with me it might be motels instead she worries about everything.
$40 for a full hook up campground, sleeping in your own bed, and cooking in your own kitchen, is way cheaper than staying in a motel. I made reservations for 12 nights in Oregon RV parks and never was charged more than $45/night. If we moteled it and ate out every meal, it would cost a small fortune compared to having our own place to stay.
GMC Sierra 2500
Scott V. is offline   Reply With Quote