Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

Phoenix to Tahoe

Suggestions, thoughts, routes, RV parks?
Traveling in a 35ft fifth wheel, Heavy Duty Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel ...thanks!
Bogey3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #2

Phoenix to Lake Tahoe

Recommend you take 10 to 210 just east of Los Angeles and 210 to route 5 north toward Sacramento. Get to Sacramento and take route 50 east toward lake tahoe. You'll go over Echo summitt. Beautiful part of the country, but I wouldn't recommend you go this time of the year. If hauling an rv go slow at Echo Summit.

I feel this is the quickest route. If your looking for scenic route, take the normal Phoenix route to Las Vegas. Then to and thru death valley, then onto 395 north toward Reno and prior to Reno go left at Mt. Rose highway into Tahoe. However you go be safe and enjoy the ride.

Jim
jpaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaskell View Post
Recommend you take 10 to 210 just east of Los Angeles and 210 to route 5 north toward Sacramento. Get to Sacramento and take route 50 east toward lake tahoe. You'll go over Echo summitt. Beautiful part of the country, but I wouldn't recommend you go this time of the year. If hauling an rv go slow at Echo Summit.

I feel this is the quickest route. If your looking for scenic route, take the normal Phoenix route to Las Vegas. Then to and thru death valley, then onto 395 north toward Reno and prior to Reno go left at Mt. Rose highway into Tahoe. However you go be safe and enjoy the ride.

Jim
Ditto! all that i could add is that Highway 99 is an alternative to I5. neither is that scenic.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #4

phoenix to Tahoe

Rt 99 is an alternative, however, unless they have improved the road since I lived in Sacramento (about 8 years ago) I'd stick with 5 but they both wind up in Sacramento. Views from Sacramento to Tahoe are the best, along the American river and echo summit where you can see forever.

Enjoy the ride.

jim

P.S. watch out for the grapevine, make sure your brakes are good and you have water for radiator, just in case. Also bring your nerves and patience.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey3025 View Post
Suggestions, thoughts, routes, RV parks?
Traveling in a 35ft fifth wheel, Heavy Duty Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel ...thanks!
You didn't say when you plan to travel? This weak or in the spring?
Ditto on taking Interstate 5 to Sacramento it you don't plan on stopping much. Highway 99 if you like to stop in the smaller towns.
The other way is to Vegas and drive in the mountains but this time of year it isn't advised.
Expect cold weather up at Lake Tahoe and call ahead and see if the campgrounds are open.

El Dorado County Campground has lots of room and trees. $$
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150

or
Camp Richardson Resort is also close to the water and has lots. $$$

or
Tahoe Valley Campground is now part of a nationwide group .
http://www.rvonthego.com/california/...ey-campground/
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Too much truck traffic on Hwy 99 use I-5

Hwy 50 from Sacto to South Lake Tahoe is mainly two lane, twisty and steep in parts - not the best place for a big, long RV. If it were me, I'd take I-80 to Truckee and then Hwy 89 South. A longer drive but safer.

Google Maps sez to take I-10 to I-215 to I-15 to Hwy 395 North toward Carson City and then Hwy 50 west to the lake. I would go this way.

Hwy 395: 740 Miles to South Lake Tahoe

I-5/Hwy 50: 860 Miles

I-5/I-80/Hwy 89: 900 Miles

Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaskell View Post

Jim
Mt Rose Hwy is north of Carson City and takes you to Incline Village on the East Shore of Lake Tahoe - and, like its name, goes up and down a mountain.

Hwy 50 connects to Hwy 395 south of Carson City and will take you to the South Shore Resorts in Stateline, NV and adjacent city of South Lake Tahoe, CA - no mountain climbing.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #8

Phoenix to Lake Tahoe

Sounds like bogey has choices, choices are always good. I took my 32ft 5th wheel over Echo sumitt and it was o.k. You are right though, it's 2 lanes but "BEAUTIFUL" if you are not in a hurry and enjoying mother nature's wonders, it's the way to go. (IMHO)

Jim
Old 01-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #9

Thanks everyone! We hope to head there late July!! What would we do without this site??
Bogey3025 is offline   Reply With Quote