Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,982
Planning 2020 Rocky Mountain NP Colorado

Looking at 2020 already and will be going to Yellowstone NP but my friend in his motorhome suggested stopping in Rocky Mountain National Park Colorado?
Never been in the Rockies Camping so all new to me.
We are looking at some great campgrounds in the Rockies that can handle motorhomes and have full hookups.
Bare minimum for a few days would be at least 30 or 50 amp electric.
I'm thinking in late June or early July time frame.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 66K + miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Baraboo, WI
Posts: 209
In Yellowstone the only campground with any hookups is Fishing Bridge Campground. Rocky Mountain NP does not have any hookups that I am aware of. There are many private campgrounds near the entrances to all of the NP's. Those parks usually fill up fast so make your reservations early.
__________________

BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
In Yellowstone the only campground with any hookups is Fishing Bridge Campground. Rocky Mountain NP does not have any hookups that I am aware of. There are many private campgrounds near the entrances to all of the NP's. Those parks usually fill up fast so make your reservations early.
Fishing Bridge is closed for 2019! I just found that out now. https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

If you want to go to a really beautiful place that is not commonly visited, check out Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Beautiful! They have one campground on the south rim with electrical hookups. (Quite unusual for a national park campground.) Choose your site carefully, use site photos and google maps to help pick. https://www.nps.gov/blca/planyourvis...p_southrim.htm
__________________
2016 FR Forester 2401R
Towing 2014 Honda CR-V
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 291
Moraine Park Campground is my favorite inside the park. No hookups but lots of wildlife within walking distance. You can see more form this campground than if you drove around the park all day.
If you are outside the park the line to get in can be horrendous especially in the afternoon.
MtBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Brighton, CO
Posts: 105
There are no full hookup sites inside the park. However there are a few RV parks with full hookups in and around the town of Estes Park which is at the entrance to the park. Just be sure to make reservations far enough in advance. The park is amazing and a must see if you are coming out this way.
__________________
__________________________________________

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,935
Planning 2020 Rocky Mountain NP Colorado

Trail Ridge Road reopened in RMNP but more snow expected this weekend. https://www.denverpost.com/2019/06/2...onal-park/amp/
__________________
2016 FR Forester 2401R
Towing 2014 Honda CR-V
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
We are looking at some great campgrounds in the Rockies that can handle motorhomes and have full hookups.
Bare minimum for a few days would be at least 30 or 50 amp electric.
I'm thinking in late June or early July time frame.

Thanks
Elk Creek CG in Grand Lake on the west side of RMNP has what you need.
__________________
2011 Sunseeker 2860
Civic or RAV4 on ACME dolly
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
Member
 
david_reaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 270
There are several commercial parks around the RMNP area that will have what you want. The park itself is easy to get to from Estes Park. We stayed at Mary's Lake one year. It has full hookups, but is only a place to sleep. Some of the other parks (names have slipped my mind) have a few more amenities. It is definitely worth a few days stay.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Looking at 2020 already and will be going to Yellowstone NP but my friend in his motorhome suggested stopping in Rocky Mountain National Park Colorado?
Never been in the Rockies Camping so all new to me.
We are looking at some great campgrounds in the Rockies that can handle motorhomes and have full hookups.
Bare minimum for a few days would be at least 30 or 50 amp electric.
I'm thinking in late June or early July time frame.

Thanks


Elk Creek Campground in Grand Lake Colorado, West side of RMNP is wonderful!
Scotty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 45
Here is a picture from the back of our campsite at Elk Creek Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	209142
__________________

Scotty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mount

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.