Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #1

Planning 2020 Rocky Mountain NP Colorado

Looking at 2020 already and will be going to Yellowstone NP but my friend in his motorhome suggested stopping in Rocky Mountain National Park Colorado?
Never been in the Rockies Camping so all new to me.
We are looking at some great campgrounds in the Rockies that can handle motorhomes and have full hookups.
Bare minimum for a few days would be at least 30 or 50 amp electric.
I'm thinking in late June or early July time frame.

Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #2

In Yellowstone the only campground with any hookups is Fishing Bridge Campground. Rocky Mountain NP does not have any hookups that I am aware of. There are many private campgrounds near the entrances to all of the NP's. Those parks usually fill up fast so make your reservations early.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
In Yellowstone the only campground with any hookups is Fishing Bridge Campground. Rocky Mountain NP does not have any hookups that I am aware of. There are many private campgrounds near the entrances to all of the NP's. Those parks usually fill up fast so make your reservations early.
Fishing Bridge is closed for 2019! I just found that out now. https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

If you want to go to a really beautiful place that is not commonly visited, check out Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Beautiful! They have one campground on the south rim with electrical hookups. (Quite unusual for a national park campground.) Choose your site carefully, use site photos and google maps to help pick. https://www.nps.gov/blca/planyourvis...p_southrim.htm
Old 06-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #4

Moraine Park Campground is my favorite inside the park. No hookups but lots of wildlife within walking distance. You can see more form this campground than if you drove around the park all day.
If you are outside the park the line to get in can be horrendous especially in the afternoon.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #5

There are no full hookup sites inside the park. However there are a few RV parks with full hookups in and around the town of Estes Park which is at the entrance to the park. Just be sure to make reservations far enough in advance. The park is amazing and a must see if you are coming out this way.

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #6

Planning 2020 Rocky Mountain NP Colorado

Trail Ridge Road reopened in RMNP but more snow expected this weekend. https://www.denverpost.com/2019/06/2...onal-park/amp/
Old 06-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
We are looking at some great campgrounds in the Rockies that can handle motorhomes and have full hookups.

Thanks
Elk Creek CG in Grand Lake on the west side of RMNP has what you need.
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #8

There are several commercial parks around the RMNP area that will have what you want. The park itself is easy to get to from Estes Park. We stayed at Mary's Lake one year. It has full hookups, but is only a place to sleep. Some of the other parks (names have slipped my mind) have a few more amenities. It is definitely worth a few days stay.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Looking at 2020 already and will be going to Yellowstone NP but my friend in his motorhome suggested stopping in Rocky Mountain National Park Colorado?
Never been in the Rockies Camping so all new to me.

Thanks

Elk Creek Campground in Grand Lake Colorado, West side of RMNP is wonderful!
Scotty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #10

Here is a picture from the back of our campsite at Elk Creek Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	209142
Scotty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #11

We stay at the Forest Service Stillwater cg south of Grand Lake when we go to RMNP. Electric sites with water and a dump overlooking Lake Granby with a view of the peaks of the park across the lake. Especially scenic in September when the aspen are changing.

If you want more info on routes, other campgrounds, and not-to-miss attractions in the Colorado Rockies, see my blog HERE.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount