Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 07:31 AM   #1

Pulling Out Friday for Montana

Running down our check list and getting ready to head out for Flathead Lake in Montana. This is one of our favorite trips that will take three days of travel each way.
Leaving north Texas, staying the first night in Raton, then on to Buffalo, WY for the second night. Then on to Polson, MT for a 12 day stay.
The cherry fields will be covering the mountains. We love spending the 4th of July watching the fireworks over Flathead while eating some real Texas BBQ. Taking my sister and her husband a new custom built reverse flow smoker and some pecan wood.
Pics along the way

Home Base - Celina, TX
Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #2

Have fun and safe travels. That'll make for a good long day Raton to Buffalo but there isn't much to see along the way anyhow. Just lots of wide open Wyoming.
FWIW I always stay at the NRA Whittington Center when going through Raton.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Have fun and safe travels. That'll make for a good long day Raton to Buffalo but there isn't much to see along the way anyhow. Just lots of wide open Wyoming.
FWIW I always stay at the NRA Whittington Center when going through Raton.
We will, thanks!
I have reservations at the KOA north of Raton on I25, then at Deer Park in Buffalo. Yeah, I hate driving through Denver, but I'll get over it! LOL
Hopefully we won't be dealing with any smoke or fire issues this year. We were really saddened by the fire in Yellowstone a few years back.
First year out with the new F250, so we will have to be super careful with the fuel stops in Wyoming. We had a Dodge last trip through middle and western Wyoming and dang near ran out of fuel. Had to stop at a gas station that looked like something out of a horror film! Slow moving ceiling fans, it was a bar / gas station combination complete with the characters from the 30's. The bathrooms had no doors, but by God, they had diesel! LOL

Home Base - Celina, TX
Old 06-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #4

Going through Denver I take off on the I-225 to I-70 the I-270 back to I-225 north. Cuts down a little on the traffic.
I will be going up to the Black Hills in July. I turn off at Trinidad and cut over to La Junta and on up hwy 71 to Brush Co. and then Sidney, Ne for the night.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdonald View Post

Running down our check list and getting ready to head out for Flathead Lake in Montana. This is one of our favorite trips that will take three days of travel each way.

Leaving north Texas, staying the first night in Raton, then on to Buffalo, WY for the second night. Then on to Polson, MT for a 12 day stay.

The cherry fields will be covering the mountains. We love spending the 4th of July watching the fireworks over Flathead while eating some real Texas BBQ. Taking my sister and her husband a new custom built reverse flow smoker and some pecan wood.

Pics along the way

Is pecan wood good for cooking a pig? I cut down a big pecan tree that was leaning bad and put it all in a pile to burn. Maybe I had better stack it up
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Is pecan wood good for cooking a pig? I cut down a big pecan tree that was leaning bad and put it all in a pile to burn. Maybe I had better stack it up
You better save all the pecan you can get your hands on! LOL
It's all I use for baby back pork ribs and pork butt. I use a mix of pecan and oak for brisket.
Here is my smoker, 379 Pete. I can't begin to tell you how much meat has been smoked on here!

Home Base - Celina, TX
Old 06-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #7

I’m going to go through that pile a stack pecan wood up. I love a pig cooked on hot coals, I have always used red oak
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #8

MT trip

Every year for 28 years we drove from MT to west Texas. try to avoid Denver if you can; we went up the east side of CO and on to Brush as the other person said. If you do have to go thru Denver, the best time is Sunday morning not Sunday afternoon when every one is coming back from the mountains; have a great time at Flathead!!! Myrt
br23mat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
We will, thanks!
I have reservations at the KOA north of Raton on I25.....
Have you ever tried the Cedar Rail Campground north of Raton just before the Colorado border?

Great little place and absolutely breath taking views looking south over New Mexico.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #10

Quote:

Pics along the way
That is an amazon Smoker !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #11

Quote:

Pics along the way
We stay three or four months in Bigfork every year. Arrived May 20th this year - it's wonderful! Safe travels.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote