Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #1

Quartzsite 2014

Will there be any FROGs in Quartzsite this year? We have never been before, but are thinking about heading there after Thanksgiving for a few weeks/months.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #2

It hurts me to say we won't be in Q'site this winter. Hope to get to go next winter 2014/2015. I will be watching this thread to see what info you get back.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
Will there be any FROGs in Quartzsite this year? We have never been before, but are thinking about heading there after Thanksgiving for a few weeks/months.
We'll be going out there next weekend.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #4

We're planning to go in January. We'll be staying in one of the RV parks as we have to have electrical.
mike2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Planning to be there for the end of the Big RV Tent Show Jan 25 - 26
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #6

We are thinking of staying in a park as well. We enjoy the electricity and water. Is the weather pretty nice? We are having a hard time deciding between Arizona and Florida. We have spent a lot of time in Florida, so I know what the winter is like there, but have only been to Arizona once during the summer and then only for a couple of days. It's a big unknown. :-)

Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #7

Quote:
We are thinking of staying in a park as well. We enjoy the electricity and water. Is the weather pretty nice? We are having a hard time deciding between Arizona and Florida. We have spent a lot of time in Florida, so I know what the winter is like there, but have only been to Arizona once during the summer and then only for a couple of days. It's a big unknown. :-)
The locals and snowbirds enjoy the winter time because of the nice weather , but they do have storms that will bring in cold weather, rain and dust storms. I would try and locate the Quartzsite City web page and see what their weather history is.

We travel in Arizona a lot, and don't mind a little weather. Lots to see.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
You will find that there is very little/ok no grass in Q'site. Another difference the sun shines most days & T shirts are in, but when the sun goes down it feels very cool at night. The big difference is you won't have any humidity. Also you may get an AZ 6 inch rain - that means the rain drops are 6 inches apart. We have always found the town people to be very friendly. You will need to buy drinking water - lot's of places to buy it at $.25 per gallon or 5 gallon for $1.00

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #9

We have made it as far as Del Rio, Texas...maybe we will make Quartzsite in a week or two if the weather cooperates.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #10

Does anyone who goes to Quartz worry about the in fighting going on or the reported police corruption?
Old 11-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #11

Stonekeepers,
Quartzsite is like a mecca for snowbirds with RVs. Some shop at the hundreds of stalls, and some people go looking for gold. Some people travel from there. Some from around near Phoenix, park their trailer and return to it every weekend during the winter. There are lots of places to park and socialize, and lots of places to park and be left alone. We prefer to boondock in the desert about 10 miles from the freeway. I have never had a hard time finding water, and use a 30 or 50 gal drum to haul it in my truck. I pay about 10 cents a gallon. It is beautiful during the day and the desert gets cold at night. So, build a fire and wear a coat, or hole up in the RV.
Everyone has small generator, because you don't need air conditioning or microwave.
1000 watts will charge the batts and run the furnace, etc. People in Quartzsite will not bother your stuff, although I wouldn't leave a generator out unless chained if I went for the day, but that's just me. There a plenty of good day trips from Quartzsite and lots of good highway.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #12

Ford idaho, what fighting are you talking about? The political in fighting is among the town council and I haven't heard much this year. The police problems are also political problems. You would not have any contact with the police unless you drive an unlicensed vehicle like an ATV on the street. Not too many people in Quartzsite worry about crime because AZ is a concealed carry state, no permit required for citizens of AZ. There is no crime problem in Quartzsite.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #13

x2
Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #14

They say it's a dry heat in Quartzsite, BS Hot is hot. We've been there twice, would have 26 in the morning and scrape ice off the window and be 80 in the afternoon. It has it's own kind of beauty. The sunset are beautiful, but there is no grass. I'd post a pictures but can't figure out how to do it.
grandmadonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #15

We made it to Quartzsite this afternoon and set up at the Desert Gardens RV park. We decided that it would be best to have some utilities for our first adventure here.

Tomorrow, we will venture into town and start our exploration. :-)

Old 12-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #16

Quote:
We made it to Quartzsite this afternoon and set up at the Desert Gardens RV park. We decided that it would be best to have some utilities for our first adventure here. Tomorrow, we will venture into town and start our exploration. :-)
Be sure to go to Silly Al's 😎
Old 12-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #17

We have been in Quartzsite for about a week now and are having a great time. We chose to stay at the desert gardens rv park and are happy with the park. The water is fine here and it's close to all the shows and events.

We enjoyed pizza and beer at Silly Al's last night and loved it. We joined the gem and mineral club and polished some stones and have plans for a couple of field trips and some classes. The QIA also has some events that we will attend.

There are so many things going on that it is hard to decide what to do. Most of the folks here have been coming for a long time.

From what I am seeing, you cannot exactly describe Quartzsite...you have to experience it. And I think that just coming for the RV show would be a much different experience. We will probably stay till the end of February and are making plans for coming back earlier next year.

Loving the laid back community feeling. :-)

Old 12-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #18

Quote:
We have been in Quartzsite for about a week now and are having a great time. We chose to stay at the desert gardens rv park and are happy with the park. The water is fine here and it's close to all the shows and events.

We enjoyed pizza and beer at Silly Al's last night and loved it. We joined the gem and mineral club and polished some stones and have plans for a couple of field trips and some classes. The QIA also has some events that we will attend.

There are so many things going on that it is hard to decide what to do. Most of the folks here have been coming for a long time.

From what I am seeing, you cannot exactly describe Quartzsite...you have to experience it. And I think that just coming for the RV show would be a much different experience. We will probably stay till the end of February and are making plans for coming back earlier next year.

Loving the laid back community feeling. :-)

Sounds like you are having a great time.
Are planning to stay for the RV show in January?
That is when all the BLM land and hills fill up with dry campers.
I know the weather has been a bit cool lately but this coming week expect in the mid to high 70's.
Have fun.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmadonald View Post
They say it's a dry heat in Quartzsite, BS Hot is hot. We've been there twice, would have 26 in the morning and scrape ice off the window and be 80 in the afternoon. It has it's own kind of beauty. The sunset are beautiful, but there is no grass. I'd post a pictures but can't figure out how to do it.
A little ice in Quartzsite. LOL.
That should be no biggie for you living in Michigan. How many feet of snow do you have today and what is your high temp.

You can't get any better than Arizona in the winter.

OK maybe Hawaii.....
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
We have been in Quartzsite for about a week now and are having a great time. We chose to stay at the desert gardens rv park and are happy with the park. The water is fine here and it's close to all the shows and events. We enjoyed pizza and beer at Silly Al's last night and loved it. We joined the gem and mineral club and polished some stones and have plans for a couple of field trips and some classes. The QIA also has some events that we will attend. There are so many things going on that it is hard to decide what to do. Most of the folks here have been coming for a long time. From what I am seeing, you cannot exactly describe Quartzsite...you have to experience it. And I think that just coming for the RV show would be a much different experience. We will probably stay till the end of February and are making plans for coming back earlier next year. Loving the laid back community feeling. :-)
Glad you settled in and enjoying the community. When I arrive I'll try and stop by to at least say hi. Looking forward to the RV Show and Pizza at Silly Al's