Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 PM   #21

Jakie-boy hope you find this informative.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_elevation
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #22

Great stuff mike.t Many thanks. Our planet is still evolving. We'll be camping near Mt. Whitney in a couple of days, but I doubt my eyesight will be able to detect the change in elevation compared to 40 years ago!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:14 PM   #23

Glad you like it. May give you a (I think we would enjoy going there)
Old 07-31-2016, 11:41 PM   #24

We've been travelling 395 along the Eastern Sierra's for more than 40 years, and we have always enjoyed seeing new places and meeting new people who also appreciate the area. We'll be in Mammoth Lakes for a few days before climbing over Tioga Pass into Yosemite and then on to Monterey. The drive across Tioga is something every one should experience, especially in late Spring once the road is clear of snowfall. Summer of 1986, we drove across from Mammoth to Yosemite Valley and passed through thirty foot high "tunnels" that were carved out of the avalanches that had crossed the road the previous winter. Unbelievable!! There were spots where the road clearance crews had to saw through 4-foot diameter tree trunks that had been brought down by the avalanches in order to open the highway.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #25
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Many thanks to all! This is becoming very helpful to us and others

A quick question: we love star gazing, so we want to go at the end of either September or October when there is no moon. When is a better time in terms of weather? Is there going to be some color near end of October? What's the chance of snow then?
Old 08-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
We've been travelling 395 along the Eastern Sierra's for more than 40 years, and we have always enjoyed seeing new places and meeting new people who also appreciate the area. We'll be in Mammoth Lakes for a few days before climbing over Tioga Pass into Yosemite and then on to Monterey. The drive across Tioga is something every one should experience, especially in late Spring once the road is clear of snowfall. Summer of 1986, we drove across from Mammoth to Yosemite Valley and passed through thirty foot high "tunnels" that were carved out of the avalanches that had crossed the road the previous winter. Unbelievable!! There were spots where the road clearance crews had to saw through 4-foot diameter tree trunks that had been brought down by the avalanches in order to open the highway.
Never crossed there. How is it for a large rig??? We are about 24 feet bumper to ball on the Ford plus 30 feet ball to bumper on the TH.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #27

Tioga Pass is ok for RV's, you will to be in need low gear. Your only problem should be; if you are afraid of heights, don't look down! The drive is scarier when you are traveling downhill on the outside lane. It is an amazing and beautiful Pass though.
The evenings are always great for star gazing;, very dark and clear any month. There is still Fall color in late Oct. The leaves turn first up in the highest elevations in Sept. and then slowly work their way down lower. Along HWY 395 it's spectacular usually until Thanksgiving with the Cottonwoods and Aspens giving a brilliant display. Snow- you never know? I've seen it mid Sept. But, fortunately the days are still warm and any dusting would quickly melt. There is a big difference of 35-45 degrees between day and night temps, so you need to bring warm evening clothing. The summer crowds are gone and ski season hasn't arrived yet- Fall is the best time to travel Hwy 395!!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #28
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
Tioga Pass is ok for RV's, you will to be in need low gear. Your only problem should be; if you are afraid of heights, don't look down! The drive is scarier when you are traveling downhill on the outside lane. It is an amazing and beautiful Pass though.
Been thinking about Tioga Pass for this trip. Likely coming from Mono Lake, and not planning to go down to Yosemite valley, should I camp at Tuolumne or have enough time to go back to Mono Lake?
Old 08-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #29

It's only about 11 miles from Lee Vining/ Mono Lake to the east Yosemite gate on the Tioga Pass. From there it's a short drive to Tuolomne meadows. IF you can get a reservation there I'd recommend staying there. If you are into photography; try to see Mono Lake at sunrise or sunset- awesome!! There is a nice large visitor center with trail off hwy 395/ Lee Vining. My favorite is the south side of lake, enter from hwy 120 east, a couple miles south of Tioga Pass off Hwy 395. If your hungry in Lee Vining; try Mono Cone; great shakes and burgers if they are still open for the season. The Mobil(gas) Mart at the base of the Pass is well known for their "gourmet" food with outdoor patio and live music; Thurs. and Sundays; in season.
For travelers to the Mammoth Lakes( 30 min. south of Tioga Pass) during the summer, there are music events/ festivals nearly every weekend; Blues, Jazz, classical, Rock(incl. good tribute bands), along with beer, wine tasting, food booths, etc....
Old 08-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #30
"All in Good Time"

We are planning a trip from NC to Grand Canyon and on to Napa valley. Our biggest trip so far. I've mapped out the trip to Williams AZ, but need advise on the trip up to napa. Should I go I-5 or 99 to Napa?

Vince & Ulli

2016 Wildcat 327CK
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 CTD 4x4
vnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #31

I-5 or 99?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnichols View Post
We are planning a trip from NC to Grand Canyon and on to Napa valley. Our biggest trip so far. I've mapped out the trip to Williams AZ, but need advise on the trip up to napa. Should I go I-5 or 99 to Napa?
Either one will get you there of course and the two converge south-east of San Francisco. I have traveled 99 more so that I-5 just due to areas we were visiting, Sequoia/Yosemite, and business in Turlock. It seems 99 is more populated, town wise. Perhaps the decision can be determined by any other points of interest you would like to see, if plan is to get to Napa asap I would lean toward I-5.
Regards and have a good trip,
Wanderer

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #32
"All in Good Time"

Thanks Wanderer, appreciate your response. I had plotted a route 99, but when I used google maps it wanted to send me on I-5, guess they think it's shorter. I will go with the interstate since we will be anxious to get there and not really interested in stops along the way. Thanks again.

Vince

Vince & Ulli

2016 Wildcat 327CK
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 CTD 4x4
vnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnichols View Post
Thanks Wanderer, appreciate your response. I had plotted a route 99, but when I used google maps it wanted to send me on I-5, guess they think it's shorter. I will go with the interstate since we will be anxious to get there and not really interested in stops along the way. Thanks again.

Vince
Have traveled both routes with an RV in tow, I-5 is said to be faster due to its interstate status, hope you like it when you hit Los Angeles International Airport traffic and the 405 exchange, bring games and electronic devices to spend your time since that area is typically a parking lot. Highway 99 splits off of 5 north of this area and tends to be a nicer drive but a little slower. As said it travels through many towns. I-5 is extremely boring but there are several truck stop type waysides that a large RV'er can find easy parking. The 395 corridor is off the path to the Napa Valley but way more scenic.
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:28 AM   #34

Agreed, Hwy. 5 is the quickest from Los Angeles/ So. Cal. area if you want to bypass scenic Hwy. 1, the coastal route ( Big Sur - Carmel area currently has a massive wildfire.) Another option is to take hwy. 14 N. to hwy. 395 N. ( a designated scenic route) all the way to either Yosemite's east gate and cut thru and straight across the state towards Napa, or go further norther on 395 to Carson City(hwy 50 W.) or Reno (hwy 80 W.) which takes you all the way to the San Francisco area, then cut north to Napa, not far away.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:42 AM   #35

[QUOTE=mtnlvr;1275787]Sept.-Oct. will NOT be ungodly hot!

You are correct and that's exactly what I said.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #36
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Leaving in a week for this ten day trip. Really excited! I'm installing solar panels (DIY) on my motorhome in anticipation of many days of dry camping. Speaking of which, I hope it doesn't get too cold at night. We prefer electric heater over noisy furnace but will have to put up with the cold with dry camping. I've already mapped all the RV parks with hook-up on 395 just in case we are in need of heat

Our plan is to make the first stop at Alabama Hills (dry camp), then straight to Lee Vining next day. We will spend a few days camping in the northern part of Mono County, going to Mono Lake, Virginia Lakes, Saddlebag Lake, Tioga Pass etc, trying to catch some fall colors in Lundy Canyon. Then we will head down south to June Lakes, Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, Big Pine etc, on our way back.

Given the summer is over and campgrounds are not as crowded, I plan to keep our plan flexible, which means I won't make any reservation until the day of arrival or just look for first-come-first-served campgrounds (there seem to be plenty of that).

Thanks again for great input! I'll report back on our trip.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #37

Your trip sounds like fun! Please post pics.

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Dana Point, CA
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
Leaving in a week for this ten day trip. Really excited! I'm installing solar panels (DIY) on my motorhome in anticipation of many days of dry camping. Speaking of which, I hope it doesn't get too cold at night. We prefer electric heater over noisy furnace but will have to put up with the cold with dry camping. I've already mapped all the RV parks with hook-up on 395 just in case we are in need of heat

Our plan is to make the first stop at Alabama Hills (dry camp), then straight to Lee Vining next day. We will spend a few days camping in the northern part of Mono County, going to Mono Lake, Virginia Lakes, Saddlebag Lake, Tioga Pass etc, trying to catch some fall colors in Lundy Canyon. Then we will head down south to June Lakes, Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, Big Pine etc, on our way back.

Given the summer is over and campgrounds are not as crowded, I plan to keep our plan flexible, which means I won't make any reservation until the day of arrival or just look for first-come-first-served campgrounds (there seem to be plenty of that).

Thanks again for great input! I'll report back on our trip.

How did your trip work out? I noticed you said something about the campgrounds not being full in mid Sept. Did you find it that way? We have noticed many places are fairly filled into late October. Hope you had a very, very good trip.
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #39

Don't know where you are at this time but Bishop north got some rain/snow 10/15-10/16
Old 10-18-2016, 11:45 PM   #40

Here's hoping you didn't miss Mammoth Lakes and a ride to the top of the Gondola; or riding the Shuttle back to Devil's Postpile, Rainbow Falls, Red's Meadow, and other great sites. Campground at Convict Lake is also a winner, especially if you are dry camping and do not need hook-ups. Please let us all know how it all worked out.

Tags
mpg