Old 06-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #1

Recommendations for route

We drive north- south through Utah a lot and Id love anyones routes they use to get around Salt Lake City. The last two trips took us two+ hours in bumper to bumper traffic just to get thru the city. Any routes to stay away from? Im open to camping an overnight too so any recommendations on campgrounds on your bypass route would be appreciated. looking for recommendations.

lastayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #2

Good question. I'm seeking similar info. The google earth view of the freeway system through Salt Lake city scares the crap out of me. Thinking of staying as far west as I can.

Oksourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #3

There really ain't no easy way to do it. I know I have tried cutting west and catching the 154 bypass that gets you out of the worst of it. The main bottleneck is usually up around Bountiful when you are running north and start dropping lanes and narrowing down. I have tried the 215 when coming back south and sometimes that's not to bad.

This July I'll be coming south out of the Yellowstone/Tetons area and am staying east coming south to Evanston Wy and hwy 189 through Provo. I have done that before and it's not too bad

Been through that SLC corridor more times than I like.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
There really ain't no easy way to do it. I know I have tried cutting west and catching the 154 bypass that gets you out of the worst of it. The main bottleneck is usually up around Bountiful when you are running north and start dropping lanes and narrowing down. I have tried the 215 when coming back south and sometimes that's not to bad.

This July I'll be coming south out of the Yellowstone/Tetons area and am staying east coming south to Evanston Wy and hwy 189 through Provo. I have done that before and it's not too bad

Been through that SLC corridor more times than I like.

I looked at your possible route. Taking the 80 out of Evanston to the 189 to Oram/Provo? My addition to this would be the 84 from Roy to the 80 interchange. This would bypass SLC almost altogether. Its a long round about but If I figure it in my travels for an overnight( or two) it would be worth it. There are lots of CG in this area
lastayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

Bear Lake is a beautiful area. I'd detour through that area anytime.
jeffnboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #6

A lot depends on your final destination be it northbound or southbound traveling. I have a friend who travels back and forth to Oregon a lot out of southern Arizona and he swears by Hwy 93 over in wide open Nevada.

I travel between Montana and Arizona every other year and take Hwy 13 down through Colorado to I-70 then 191 on south.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:10 AM   #7

When I am towing my 5th wheel, I prefer US 191 all the way through Utah. Nice two-lane highway that can take you from south to north past Natural Bridges NM, Canyonlands NP, Arches NP, Dinosaur NM, and Flaming Gorge before you enter Wyoming. And NO cities to fight traffic in unless you come from such a small town that you consider Moab and Vernal as "cities".

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
Gold Tee Box

Salt Lake City is always bad, East to West, OR North to South.

Plan your trip to camp within a couple hours, and then drive thru at 6:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning and you will do fine...

23 campgrounds/240 nights since 2015
Teetime is online now   Reply With Quote