Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #21

Good advice from all sides. High altitude affects each individual differently. I have found that I am pretty much immune to altitude problems as long as I do not try to over-exert myself. My DW not so much.

Rocky Mountain NP is one of our favorites. We will be there in June with base camp in Estes Park. The Ridge Road over the top from East to West peaks at over 12,250 feet, and is the highest paved road in the Continental US. There are no guard rails along the highway, and there are always lots of "looky-loo" motorists who stop in the middle of the road to photo the view. Be prepared to stop abruptly . There are also lots of cyclists who seem to think that they own the entire lane while they pedal three and four abreast. Can be very frustrating, but the trip is well worth the aggravation.

If you travel East to West, be advised that the western side of the road is full of numerous sharp hairpin turns on the way down. Make sure your brakes are in top-notch condition before attempting this trip.

Estes Park is a wonderful town full of very friendly people and lots of great places to shop and eat. Don't miss a guided tour of the Stanley Hotel. Last time we were there, it was the week of the "Roof-Top-Rodeo" at the local fairgrounds. My DW and I, and our friends, made sure we bought some authentic cowboy hats and boots before we went. The "locals" knew we were from out of state, but they appreciated the effort we made to fit in.

You're going to love the experience.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
There are no guard rails along the highway, and there are always lots of "looky-loo" motorists who stop in the middle of the road to photo the view. Be prepared to stop abruptly . There are also lots of cyclists who seem to think that they own the entire lane while they pedal three and four abreast. Can be very frustrating, but the trip is well worth the aggravation.
Those could be a bad combination of someone in a vehicle had a sudden attack of road rage or just tried to squeeze by the cycling road block.

My wife and I made that drive one weekend while we lived in CO. She kept asking me why it was always her side of the truck that was next to the drop off. She'd look out and there was nothing between her and the next mountain over and at times it seems like your wheels are right on the edge.

Road's actually wider than that but it's definitely one that gets your attention.

I could be wrong but didn't the entry fee go up drastically for 2018 at this park as well as a few others? Like maybe twice as much as before?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #23
Scoundrel

Here are some images of Trail Ridge Road through RMNP and the Never Summer Range. The tall poles on the side of the road depict the edge of the pavement for snow plow drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0253.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	164954   Click image for larger version

Name:	636150773546023687-FTC061616-RideTheRockies-06.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	164955   Click image for larger version

Name:	RealImaginaryLife-Rocky_Mountain_National_Park-Trail_Ridge_Road-Medicine_Bow_Curve-2015-070-15-8.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	164956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trail-Ridge-Road1_9fa51e27-cc52-af44-4c8a8b08c78616ca.png
Views:	103
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	164957  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #24

Wow! So many positive and helpful replies. Many thanks to all of you for the comments, suggestions and pictures. We'll be passing through in late August and now we know what to expect.

Best Regards,

-Grouchy
Grouchyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #25

We were going west from Denver last year in out Class C and @ 8,000 feet it didn't want to stay running, didn't know what was wrong so I had to pay $50 for a shop (in Georgetown) to diagnose it (they had no part) then we barely made it to Silverthorne CO. where we had to pay $100 for a new fuel filter. We hadn't had the MH that long and never thought about a bad fuel filter! Save yourself $150 and make sure you have a new one!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #26

Definitely drink plenty of water. Allergy pills, nasal spray, and eye drops also recommended. A hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses would go a long way as well. The sun is absolutely intense at the higher elevations. Watch your alcohol intake. That 6-pack at sea level will be a 2-pack.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #27

A lot of people have chimed in here about your engine, generator, health, and whatnot and all of their advice is valuable.

I will mention some little things that you won't really expect. Keep you potato chips wrapped up in a plastic bag because they will explode going over the pass. The bags inflate from lack of atmospheric pressure, and it sounds like a gun went off in your RV.

For this same reason, you need to keep an eye on ANY and all items that are stored in a sealed container. Your shampoo will leak everywhere, so put it in a ziploc bag. Same with other toiletries, and food items. What I do is squeeze the air out first, then shut the lid. That seems to help a lot.

Just be mindful that with increase in altitude, your sealed containers will puff up.

This goes for tire pressure as well. You don't need to be super anal about it, but check your tire pressure at the top of the pass and adjust if necessary. More importantly check your tire pressure at the BOTTOM of the pass... because they could be under-inflated down there.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Good advice from all sides. High altitude affects each individual differently. I have found that I am pretty much immune to altitude problems as long as I do not try to over-exert myself. My DW not so much.

Rocky Mountain NP is one of our favorites. We will be there in June with base camp in Estes Park. The Ridge Road over the top from East to West peaks at over 12,250 feet, and is the highest paved road in the Continental US. There are no guard rails
A lot of people think that but guess they haven't heard about Colorado's Mt Evans road that's over 14000 feet (paved).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #29
Scoundrel

Mt Evans and Pikes Peak. I think what Jakie-Boy meant was highest paved continuous road.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
The first 'lesson learned' when I moved to Fort Collins, Colorado (5000 feet) is never leave the house without a hat and water. At high altitude, the sun is more intense. You burn more easily.

And, you will dehydrate quickly.

I carry a "water bottle carabiner" (available on Amazon). Makes it easy to carry a standard water bottle by hanging it from your belt loop.
Granddaughter is a student at CSU. We will be there 09/06-11 at the KOA. Trying to see her and make it to the Ark/CSU football game 09/08. Guess I'll wear my hog hat and my CSU shirt! LOL

They all live in CO Springs, at about 7,000 feet. We go often. The altitude used to kill my COPD. Not sure why, but the last few times we went, it wasn't bad at all. Maybe I'm beginning to channel my inner 'mountain goat', dunno.

Can't drink enough water, though...........and every pocket has a Burt's Bees chapstick in it!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:03 PM   #31

I have often wondered why the higher you get in elevation. The colder it is. Your closer to the sun. It should be warmer...........
Sunscreen and water.
Beer contains a lot of water.
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
I have often wondered why the higher you get in elevation. The colder it is. Your closer to the sun. It should be warmer...........
Sunscreen and water.
Not only are you closer to the sun.... but heat RISES! It makes no sense.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:39 AM   #33

Highest paved continuous road in the Continental USA.....who cares?? I just read the signs on the side of the road when we towed our trailer up from the west side, through the numerous switchbacks, until we reached the tree line, and I pulled into a rest area near the summit. My wife was petrified and hyperventilating and her knuckles were white from gripping the door handle. I managed to get her calmed down with a bottle of fresh water and a Hershey Bar.

After we set up camp in Moraine Valley, she refused to accompany me on a drive up the "Old Road" one way to the top. This is something everyone should do- - - -drive up, that is, not stay in camp. Wonderful experience.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:58 AM   #34

Closer to the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
Sunscreen and water.
At the risk of appearing too pedantic, my response would be,"Yes, you are closer to the sun by a tiny fraction of a percentage point. This means that you are more likely to receive serious sunburns if you do not apply sunscreen liberally. Plus, since the air is much dryer than at lower levels, evaporation cools your skin much more quickly, and you feel colder. Then there is the fact that the air is less dense, and cannot retain the heat radiating from the ground as much, so it is colder. That's why snow falls at high altitudes and not so much at sea level.

Now, that said, make sure you use lots of sunscreen, wear a hat, and drink lots of beer. Coors is mostly water anyway.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
A lot of people have chimed in here about your engine, generator, health, and whatnot and all of their advice is valuable.

I will mention some little things that you won't really expect. Keep you potato chips wrapped up in a plastic bag because they will explode going over the pass. The bags inflate from lack of atmospheric pressure, and it sounds like a gun went off in your RV.

For this same reason, you need to keep an eye on ANY and all items that are stored in a sealed container. Your shampoo will leak everywhere, so put it in a ziploc bag. Same with other toiletries, and food items. What I do is squeeze the air out first, then shut the lid. That seems to help a lot.

Just be mindful that with increase in altitude, your sealed containers will puff up.

This goes for tire pressure as well. You don't need to be super anal about it, but check your tire pressure at the top of the pass and adjust if necessary. More importantly check your tire pressure at the BOTTOM of the pass... because they could be under-inflated down there.

Funny story about the potato chip bags, we went to Estes Park and Grand Lake a few years ago, we packed the camper the night before, when we arrived at Estes Park they wife opened the cabinet and she said a few cuss words, this is how the situation played out:

Wife: *@&$!#(*& mice
Me: What is going on?
Wife: The f'n moce got into the potato chips. she takes the bags (2 bags) and throws them away.
Me: Why did you do that?
Wife: you can't eat food after the mice have been in it!!!!!!!
Me: Looking at her and I say, how does a mouse open both bags at the seams with no chew marks? I know what happened I have been thru it before. :tr.ink39:
Wife: looks at me and we both start laughing.

To this day I tease her about the mice and how they can use their little paws to open chip bags better than I can. I am the one who had to run to the store to buy more chips.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Highest paved continuous road in the Continental USA.....who cares?? I just read the signs on the side of the road when we towed our trailer up from the west side, through the numerous switchbacks, until we reached the tree line, and I pulled into a rest area near the summit. My wife was petrified and hyperventilating and her knuckles were white from gripping the door handle. I managed to get her calmed down with a bottle of fresh water and a Hershey Bar.

After we set up camp in Moraine Valley, she refused to accompany me on a drive up the "Old Road" one way to the top. This is something everyone should do- - - -drive up, that is, not stay in camp. Wonderful experience.

Try it in the rain on a motorcycle, we were in Grand Lake and it started raining and then stopped, we headed back but got caught in it about 2 miles from the store at the the top of the pass, now I generally don't worry about too much but this had me white knuckling it all the way thru the pass, the wife and I get back to the Estes side and I ask her if she was ok, she was like what are you talking about? Why wouldn't I be ok, I said the weather. Come to find out she was video recording from the back of the bike and had know idea how worried I was, I left it at that. :-)
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount