Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 05:46 AM   #21

We live in Iowa and consider Estes Park our 2nd home. We have been going to Estes (RMNP) annually since the the kids were very young and they now all have families of their own. We have been there in the Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. As folks have already stated, there is NO bad time to visit this wonderful area. With that said, the Fall is our favorite. The "crowd" of people and cars is greatly diminished. The shops are, for the most part, still open so walking and shopping in downtown Estes is easier and much more pleasurable.
Perhaps the best thing about early Fall is the park is still open for camping and site seeing AND the Elk are rutting. What a thrill to see, and hear thousands of Elk in the meadows trumpeting as the bulls protect their flock from other intruding males. Likewise, the Elk are in downtown Estes by the thousands, in the city park, in peoples yards, everywhere--what a sight to see!
So the bottom line is--there is no bad time to go to RMNP, it's a very special place and if you believe in things like "Gods country", you'll know it when you see it--it's called ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK!!!!!!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #22

I love this site. Some great information here. I will check out the other campgrounds mentioned. Thanks everyone for the replies!

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
I've been there many times. Wildflowers are peak in July but so are the people. May seems a little early on Trail Ridge road with respect to snow. Early to mid Sept is great for the animals as they seem to be more active and the elk and moose will have full antlers with velvet off in the fall. Stopped by grand lake area for a few days last aug on my way home from yellowstone, lots of moose but a little warm. Will also spend a few days there in sept on my way to colorado for fall leaves. Hope to see some bull moose with full racks. BTW coming from the east it's a good idea to manage getting past chicago. I stay in a campground south of lake michigan city and then get up real early to get past chicago, especially if its a week day. Typically get up 5 am eastern time and drive past an hour later and its still heavy traffic but moving +50 mph.
Coming from the East I always have to plan on getting through that area. Usually leave after work and make the drive just outside the city and sleep in a pull off. Then wake early and manage the traffic. The worth is driving home, mostly because you are already sad your trip is over and now you have cities of traffic to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post
We were in the RMNP in mid June this year. We loved it. We saw plenty of wildlife, some great hiking and the crowds were not that crazy yet. We stayed at Timber Creek campground on the west side (highly recommend) and a private place on the east side (Elk Meadow Lodge and RV Resort). Timber Creek was great (see pic below) but I would not recommend Elk Meadow Lodge and RV Resort. A bit dirty for our taste.

We ran into some snow on the Sky Pond trail but it was doable. The weather was perfect for hiking. I would recommend a mid to late June visit.
I checked out Timber Creek, looks like they max the size at 30ft? and is a first come first serve. I need somewhere that I can reserve. The pictures I have seen do look awesome. I am still settling on a campground.

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 07-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #24
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

First shot near Grand Lake, CO not far from the western entrance to RMNP...

Second shot is in the state forest campground at the end of the road by the YMCA camp just outside of Estes Park, CO (wasn't staying there, just driving through checking the CG out and this guy popped out of the trees)...

Third shot taken from my RV site at Manor RV Park in Estes Park, CO looking across the river into Spruce Lake RV Park...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ElkBull-IMGP1541.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	178817   Click image for larger version

Name:	ElkInCampground-IMGP2943.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	711.9 KB
ID:	178818   Click image for larger version

Name:	EstesParkElk2014-IMGP0732.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	178819  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #25

Quote:
I checked out Timber Creek, looks like they max the size at 30ft? and is a first come first serve. I need somewhere that I can reserve. The pictures I have seen do look awesome. I am still settling on a campground.
Check out Elk Meadow Lodge or Mary's Lake!

They both can handle big rigs.

Don't even think about the Jellystone RV Park in Estes Park...that place is pretty tight just driving through with a small car, let alone with a trailer attached!
Old 07-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
First shot near Grand Lake, CO not far from the western entrance to RMNP...

Second shot is in the state forest campground at the end of the road by the YMCA camp just outside of Estes Park, CO (wasn't staying there, just driving through checking the CG out and this guy popped out of the trees)...

Third shot taken from my RV site at Manor RV Park in Estes Park, CO looking across the river into Spruce Lake RV Park...

Great pictures! Thanks.

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 07-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #27

RMNP and Colorado Fire restrictions

Due to drought conditions there are NO wood burning fires allowed in RMNP. There are numerous fires burning in Colorado including one started by campers. They were apprehended and are facing a possible $750,000 fine for unattended and prohibited campfire. Cheap when you consider how many homes were destroyed and the millions spent in stopping the fire.
Restrictions in the rest of Colorado vary by county but in general, no wood fires, no fireworks. Charcoal fires are banned in some areas with only propane cooking allowed.
My family and I go to RMNP at least twice a month year round (The old 10 dollar senior pass was a huge bargain.) If you want to hike, best times to visit is before and after Trail Ridge Road opens and closes for the winter. You can actually park at Bear Lake and Sprague Lake rather than shuttle in.

Someone mentioned Fall River road, just remember long vehicles and trailers are prohibited as there are tight switchbacks that they cannot negotiate.

Best place to see moose is on the west side although one has been hanging around Lily Lake on the east side this spring.
Craig
denfireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by denfireguy View Post

Someone mentioned Fall River road, just remember long vehicles and trailers are prohibited as there are tight switchbacks that they cannot negotiate.
That was me...

Fall River road is a dirt mountain road...

Don't really need a 4x4...but it really is recommended!

And yes...no RV's or pick-up campers!

I personally think it is a bad idea to drive an RV (most especially a TT or 5'ver) up Trail Ridge Road!

Especially if you are not used to mountain driving as Trail Ridge Road ain't no interstate highway...it just isn't the place for a monster RV!

And if you are in that line of 250 cars BEHIND said RV...well...enough said!

Tags
mount