Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #1

Route 50 from Colorado Springs to Grand Junction

Has anyone traveled this route that could give me an idea of the grade and possible road conditions in November? I drove from Durango east out route 50 many years ago but only remember how steep the grade was on route 550 north

If I remember correctly it wasn't too bad but I'm old an my memory isn't the best! Traveling on I-70 east from St. Louis and I want to avoid going over the mountains on that route as the traffic can be a nightmare.
p40whk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #2

You mention 2 different highways. 50 and 550 both exist in Colorado. Since you mention Durango I assume you mean 550. 550 Goes over Red Mountain Pass. You are talking November. Living in Colorado and having no problem driving our mountain passes in the winter, I can say Red Mountain Pass in not a road I would intentionally drive or tow and RV over during the winter. Of course it could be a mild November but I wouldn't plan a trip around it. With its cut in a cliff style of road and no guard rails, many flat landers consider it a terrifying drive in the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8341259332_a14a21295b_k-1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	164495   Click image for larger version

Name:	clearing-road-with-snow-blower-red-mountain-pass-ouray-rocky-mountains-BEHXJF.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	164496  
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #3

Joe, thanks.

Yes, I drove over Red Mountain Pass in August of 2010 coming from Durango and it was an intense ride considering I didn't know what to expect. Because it was such an intense ride, that's the only part of the drive I can remember.

However, my plan is to travel route 50 from Penrose to Grand Junction and it looks like the worst pass I'd have to contend with is Salida Mountain, Monarch Pass. I checked the Average weather for mid November and highs for the pass around 36 degrees but precipitation is usually low.

I may move my trip to October but right now November is logistically better for me.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #4

For US 50 and 550 camping recommendations, see my blog Here.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #5

We did Monarch pass in mid November and the road was good. But we did drive our F-150 4x4 too. We drove route 50 from Ohio to St. George, UT... loved the road!
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #6
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
Has anyone traveled this route that could give me an idea of the grade and possible road conditions in November? I drove from Durango east out route 50 many years ago but only remember how steep the grade was on route 550 north

If I remember correctly it wasn't too bad but I'm old an my memory isn't the best! Traveling on I-70 east from St. Louis and I want to avoid going over the mountains on that route as the traffic can be a nightmare.
I frequently travel that route. The main mountain pass on Rt. 50 is Monarch.
According to CDOT the maximum grade is 6.4% although I have seen other sites publish it as 7. I have no problem going over it with our Forester MBS motor home towing our Honda CRV at an average speed of 45.

In November last year we encountered snow near the top. So I would pay attention to the weather. Thankfully that trip I was driving the CRV with AWD and 4 snow tires so it was no big deal. Another time we were delayed for 4 hours while they cleared a tractor trailer load of hay off the road but normally it is uneventful but a beautiful stretch of mountain road with gorgeous vistas.

Since you mentioned Rt. 550, the million dollar highway, I would think it should not be a problem for you to take 50 since I think 550 is more challenging and more georgeous than Monarch Pass.

Another route would be to stay on I70 all the way to Grand Junction. Then you would be on an interstate all the way. There are 2 6% grades, Eisenhower and Vail but the uphill is 3 lanes wide so there is plenty of room if you have trouble maintaining the speed of others.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #7

i've lived in Colorado for 55 years and have driven US 550 between Montrose and Durango at all times of the year more times than I can remember. I once drove from Ouray to Silverton and back during a professional conference just to have lunch with a colleague.

But, when I am towing my 5th wheel, I use CO 62 and CO 145 between Ridgway and Dolores. The southbound grade over Lizard Head Pass is easier than the grades on Red Mountain and Molas Passes. Towing through the Dolores River valley is also much less stressful than the Uncompahgre Gorge. And I like the scenery around Telluride better than the scenery around Silverton. Just my personal opinion!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #8

Quote:

Get a copy of Mountain Directory West
Mountain Directory West Map of Coverage Area
in either printer or ebook form.

Designed to take the surprizes out of mountain driving for RVers and truckers.
Brayeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #9
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post
Another route would be to stay on I70 all the way to Grand Junction. Then you would be on an interstate all the way. There are 2 6% grades, Eisenhower and Vail but the uphill is 3 lanes wide so there is plenty of room if you have trouble maintaining the speed of others.
I live in Salida, right along Hwy 50 and Monarch Pass. I agree with sailski above. If you want to avoid the steeps on Monarch Pass, I would just stay on I-70 the whole way to Grand Junction.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:43 AM   #10

I live in Colorado and don't remember towing my camper over Red Mountain pass was a terrifying experience. Now, towing over Cottonwood Pass at 2 am with little light from the moon or stars was pretty scary when I almost missed a curve.

Monarch pass isn't bad but I would not drive over it in snowy weather. I swear that they never plow that pass in the winter. I still can't figure out why Colorado is so arse backwards when it comes to snow plowing as compared to East Coast states. Mag sulfate is a great product to put into an IV bag but has no place on the road. ROAD SALT is really needed in CO but will never happen.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #11

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to push my trip up to October but really Monarch pass is the only grade I was concerned about. If I do go in November it would be early around the 8th and I'll probably return a different route.

Really want to stay off of I-70 if possible, hate the traffic on that road and route 50 is just a nicer drive. I have a stop planned at Grand Canyon of the Gunnison so I-70 would be out of the way anyway as I head toward Utah.

I'm in a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer pulling a 2900# A-Frame pop-up camper and really I was concerned about the the thin air and performance of the Tow Vehicle going up that grade. Guess I'll stop ahead of the climb and fill up with high octane fuel and throw in some octane boost to help (these East Coast vehicles always struggle when they hit the thin air and altitude)

Here's a link to the planned route, the orange dots are either fuel, overnight, or sight seeing stops: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/v6bfZ3 Zoom in and scroll over for the Colorado/Utah section.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #12

I have done Monarch Pass many times double hitched. Basically the biggest thing to remember is it's the downhill run that is the most dangerous. As you crest the top, keep your speed down or you'll be on your brakes immediately when you hit the first curve. Gear down and take your time. Anyone in a hurry behind you will find the passing lanes to get around you. Use your flashers if you are going slow to warn drivers coming up on you. You will be amazed at how stupid some drivers can be when they pass.
Other bad spot is when you start up Cimarron Pass after passing Blue Mesa Reservoir. Pass is no biggy, but there has been a lot of construction and road slippage right after you come out of the canyon. The dips will dump everything out of your cupboards, and will break anything suspension wise that may be weak. They keep working on that stretch but never seem to get it right.
Other than that Cimarron pass has a long downhill run into Montrose, but gear down and take your time, not as big a deal as Monarch.
Beautiful country.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #13

Quote:

I'm in a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer pulling a 2900# A-Frame pop-up camper and really I was concerned about the the thin air and performance of the Tow Vehicle going up that grade. Guess I'll stop ahead of the climb and fill up with high octane fuel and throw in some octane boost to help (these East Coast vehicles always struggle when they hit the thin air and altitude)

No need to put in higher octane fuel, in fact at higher altitudes the thinner air reduces compression in the engine, unless you have a turbo, so a lower octane fuel would be fine. Just run what the manufacturer recommend for your vehicle. Higher octane in the mountains is money spent unnecessarily.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #14
Scoundrel

I took this photo of the gift shop at the top of Monarch Pass a few weeks ago. I tow my TT over Monarch multiple times a year and I just go slow, take my time, enjoy the scenery & and let others go around me.

Good luck on your trip and safe travels.
Rich J.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	476.2 KB
ID:	164747  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #15

Actually fuel sold at high altitude is lower octane, (85 versus 87) out of the regular pump. If your vehicle is running properly, and in good tune you will not notice a difference in performance when at altitude. Newer vehicles fuel injection systems compensate for the change in altitude. You may notice a small drop in horsepower when you get up high, but the only way to cure that is to get a different truck.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote