Old 08-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Rt 64 Cimarron to Taos

Wondering if anyone can offer advice about taking Rt 64 westbound from Cimarron to Taos. It looks like a very nice road but how is it while towing a bumper pull? Timing is late September. How are the grades, etc? I travel pretty light at about 60% of weight ratings so don't generally have any trouble with passes or the steepest grades on Interstates. This trip I am sticking to back roads.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #2

Hi Kanga99! US 64 west from Cimarron NM isn't too bad. There is a steep climb going over into Eagle Nest that is an easy pull. The tricky one is Palo Flechado Pass. it is very steep at the base and has a couple of hair-pin turns. There is a length limit on the combination of truck and trailer. A safer way would be to turn right at Eagle Nest and take SR 38 thru Red River to Questa then turn left on SR 522 south to Taos. There are some steep ups and downs but nothing bad. Remember, though, that you are driving in the mountains at elevations above 6000 feet so your vehicle performance will be reduced a bit. Get gas where you can.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #3

OK! I checked your tow vehicle and trailer specs, and you can probably make the US 64 climb to Taos. There don't seem to be any length restrictions on this section of the road. The Eagle Nest side is steep but the Taos side is relatively gentle. There are several RV Parks to stay at in the region. We've stayed at the Golden Eagle in Eagle Nest and that is a good jumping off point for exploring the area. The couple who own the place are really nice folks and run a nice place. We will be going there in September for a few days. There are a couple of RV parks down at Angel Fire and a couple along US 64 between Palo Flechado Pass and Tao. I would avoid the Plaza area of Taos with your rig. Taos is VERY congested. There are RV parks there but you would need to take the bypass. The streets are narrow making steering your rig a bit daunting.

If you decide to go by the Red River route, remember that Taos traffic is VERY heavy during the day and will be a bit slow! Enjoy your trip and contact me if you have any more questions. We've spent a lot of time there and my wife has family in both Taos and Cimarron.

2015: 18 days camping
2016: 21 days (so far!)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #4

If you are not already traveling, Palo Flechado Pass is being resurfaced and there are some long delays. That was 1 1/2 weeks ago. And it is open to large travel trailer traffic. Saw two 5ers on the Taos side waiting at a road block.

Safe travels!

2015: 18 days camping
2016: 21 days (so far!)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

I just did this route this summer and had no problem, we towed a 39 5th wheel with a class 8 tractor, yes it has a lot of curves (said I could check my own brake lights) and hills but possible. At the highest point ( I believe) I pulled over to let the few cars behind me pass so not to hold them up anymore, take your time and enjoy the trip.