Old 02-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
Safest route from Cody to Buffalo Wyoming please

We are planning a grand 'out west' adventure. We are two couples and me and my dog. The other couples have 'camped' for between 30 and 40 years each (and have done a couple of 'out west' trips over the years). I have my first camper for 3 months now. We will travel in two 31 foot fifth wheels and a 34 foot class C that pulls a Jeep. We're starting from Florida, on a southern route eventually north to Yellowstone where it gets worrisome to us who have lived in Florida for so long. If we head east from Yellowstone to Cody, what is the safest route to Buffalo, WY with the plan to get to Rapid City. We'll all be retired by the start date of the trip (so we're not in a hurry) and plan (so far) to leave Yellowstone around June 25, 2016, but wonder what to expect about the steep grades and pulling off if necessary to cool the brakes (if that is a correct rv term)? In general, any info about getting from Yellowstone to Rapid City is appreciated. One couple mentioned that I seem to noticeably hug the center line when going over high bridges.

Katja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
For the flat lander Hwy 14 from Geybull over the top to Dayton is very intimidating. Shell Canyon is a long uphill grind. The downhill part is probably seven miles of very steep grade.
Hwy 16 from Worland to Buffalo is a little better but still is windy with some tough pulls and downhills.
Safest fastest route is through Billings and Interstate all the way to rapid city. Taking in the Big Horn Co. Museum in Hardin, Custer Battlefield and Devils tower.
I'll put in a plug for these folks as well. 7Th Ranch RV Camp | Garryowen, MT - RV Parks and Campgrounds in Montana - Good Sam Camping

2016 RAM 1500 - 2016 Keystone Laredo 265SRK
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:10 PM   #3

Thanks so much and for the quick reply - we are having another planning meeting tomorrow night - I'll forward this to my travel companions.
Katja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
I took 16 last year (west to east). Nothing steep, only 5-6% grades. Wasn't a bad drive at all from Worland to Buffalo.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
In the summer of 2014, I drove from Buffalo to Cody east to west on I-90 and U.S. 14, pulling a Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL with an F-150. Don't recall any issues. Beautiful mountains and valleys in the Shell River basin. It was our first major trip from Oklahoma, and it was part of six weeks on the road to Alaska and back.
DBigbee is offline   Reply With Quote