Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

set my goal for the west

So i set my goal for the Yellowstone.

Looking at the first 3 weeks of June 2020 just need a few pointers

1. Best campground at Yellowstone for a family (youngest will be 6 when we go)
2. how far in advance can you reserve campsites at yellow stone
3.recommendations of any kind while there.
4. things to avoid.

will be driving the GMC Dually with the 2016 Freedom Express 31se.
thank you.
2017 Nights Camped 75 and counting
2018 Nights Camped 40 and counting[/b]
USMC 2005-2015 OIF OEF
raforan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #2

Make sure you check ahead some of the high passes will still be snowed in or just opening.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Censored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Make sure you check ahead some of the high passes will still be snowed in or just opening.
It is always a good idea to check the Yellowstone website for road closures but as a rule of thumb they will have all roads open at least a week before Memorial Day. A late season snowfall could temporarily close a road for a short time.

Only one campground within Yellowstone NP has full hookups and that is Fishing Bridge campground. Getting reservations at Fishing Bridge can be a problem if you don't do it about a year in advance. There are no hookups at the other campgrounds but some do have a dump station.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There are campgrounds just outside of the park that are options also. Even as far out as Cody, WY, which I would suggest visiting. Moving around can give you access to things inside and outside of the park itself. Chief Joseph Highway and the Beartooth highway (if open) are great scenic drives just outside of the park.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #5

We went there in August of 2016. Think we made reservations in early January without any problems. We stayed at grizzly rv park in West Yellowstone. Was a nice place right outside the entrance to Yellowstone.
Saw you are from Delaware. If coming from there you should stop in the black hills of South Dakota. Lot of cool things to see there.
Raskw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #6

We went a couple of years ago and stayed at the Yellowstone Valley Inn
Cabins, Hotel, Lodge, RV Park near Yellowstone East Entrance, Cody WY
We spent 10 days - had access to Cody, WY (rodeo and Wild Bill Hickok's museum) - traveled into Yellowstone multiple days and even to The Grand Tetons. It's about 34 miles to the East Entrance -then another 15 miles or so to the Fishing Bridge area - but beautiful drive into the park with a view of Yellowstone Lake. The drive each day might be a little tough for a young one - I hope to stay in the park next time I go.
awc4562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Dahagen

At your rig size you probably won't be able to stay at the Park Service campgrounds as they are old with short sites. Plan on making reservations at one of the private parks near Yellowstone. Spend at least 3 full days in the park exploring. It is large with lots of driving between north and south areas of the park. Old Faithfull area is the best area.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #8

We always stay in Grand Teton NP rather than Yellowstone NP. Colter Bay RV Park is one of the great places to stay, much less crowded than anything in Yellowstone. Reservations are hard to come by, so you will need to book about a year in advance. We will be there in June this year.

Yellowstone NP is spectacular, but can easily be seen and enjoyed in one or two days' worth of driving around. Traffic can be heavy on all the main roads. Be prepared to stop suddenly when a giant Bison walks onto the road in front of you9. Be prepared for tourists who don't know better, stop and park in the middle of the road, then jump out of their cars to go try to take a photo of a Grizzly bear close-up!! I've even watched as parents place their small children next to wild bears to get a photo!! Really. Fortunately no one was hurt or killed.

The towns of Cody and Jackson are fabulous, with great places to eat and soak in the Western culture.

Our favorite hike is to circle Jenny Lake in Grand Teton NP. One of the most beautiful hikes you will ever find, and not challenging in terms of elevation change.

Naturally, don't miss Old Faithful, and spend some time visiting the Old Faithful Lodge.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #9

In May 2016 we stayed for a week at Rocky Mountain RV Park in Gardner, Montana on our trip to Alaska. The RV park is overlooking the Yellowstone River and 1/2 mile from the west gate. Traffic is a problem where ever you stay. It is a beautiful place to visit, no matter the inconveniences.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:58 AM   #10

Fourteen miles west of West Yellowstone there is Henry's Lake State Park, Idaho. I made reservations in January for a stay in August 2016. The park is super clean and well maintained, has a nice bath and shower building, water & electric at each site and a dump station. I had one of the few pull thru sites which was 100 ft. in length, plenty of room for my 32 ft. fiver and truck. I believe the rate was $32.00 a night. I had to leave three days early and received a refund for days not used. I would suggest that where ever you stay, get your reservations early and obey the rules about the wildlife.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #11

thank you all for all the wonderful information. I will begin researching all these campgrounds when I get home and while I try to talk the dw into my plan lol. my kids would love It they are out door people like me. my wife. eehhh not so much. guess all my time sleeping in the field as a marine made me like the out doors not matter how much I hated it then
USMC 2005-2015 OIF OEF
Old 03-15-2018, 09:32 PM   #12

Yes thank you all. I also am beginning to think about this trip. This will be the furthest I have traveled and hope I can keep everything working.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #13

June 2020 is our retirement/travel time frame for the western adventure also, if you don't mind I think we will just fall in behind you and bring up the rear at that time. RP Yellowstone!

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
June 2020 is our retirement/travel time frame for the western adventure also, if you don't mind I think we will just fall in behind you and bring up the rear at that time. RP Yellowstone!
more the merrier we have our selves a convoy
USMC 2005-2015 OIF OEF
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by raforan View Post
more the merrier we have our selves a convoy
Hope you have a BIG freezer, he eats a lot of Dilly Bars from DQ when he camps
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Hope you have a BIG freezer, he eats a lot of Dilly Bars from DQ when he camps
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #17
Insert witty title here

I traveled to Yellowstone last year from MA heading west on I90. I don't know what route you are looking at but here's a few pointers from my trip.

1. The only full hookup campground within Yellowstone is Fishing Bridge. The campground itself isn't that great but you can't beat it's proximity to all Yellowstone attractions.

2. Book your campsite as far in advance as you can.They fill up early.

3. Avoid Chicago if you can.

4. Cody, WY is the last town before Yellowstone if coming in from the east. Stock up at the Walmart there before heading in. Yellowstone has stores but it's alot more expensive.

5. If you have time be sure to check out Badlands NP, Wall Drug (tourist trap), Mt Rushmore and Devil's Tower. These are all right off Rte 90.

6. If you don't mind driving up and down steep hills, be sure to drive through Big Horn Mnts, my favorite part of the journey.

7. Carry extra fuel with you. Stations out in WY can be quite a distance apart.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #18

We are about 7 weeks away from our trip. Stopping for a couple of nights on the way out from Indy, driving through Badlands. Staying 2 nights in Custer State Park. Then on into YS for 5 nights. Driving out the south exit and through Grand Teton as we begin the trek home. Also stopping for two nights in North Platte Nebraska as our return trip coincides with Nebraskaland Days. Will see a rodeo there and then head on home over the next couple of days.
15 days in total and a crazy number of miles, but we are so excited to see more of this amazing country.

In addition to the above advice, I would add get a second spare for your TT. We will throw it in the bed of the truck as added insurance.

We also got new rubber on the truck and trailer, not just for the trip but more so because it was time.

Speaking of insurance, don't forget to buy bear spray!!!

As for reservations, we made them for Custer and Yellowstone about 11 months before our trip date. I couldn't tell how full Fishing Bridge was, but Custer already had many filled sites even that far out.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #19
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Some thoughts to ponder...

Some friends of mine (he, retired Air Force, her retired Navy), are both retiring from their civilian jobs soon and they have two long trips around all 49 states before snow falls next winter.

He has an itinerary that would make a drill sergeant proud, pulling their 42-foot 5'ver!

He has every minute of every day planned, including meal stops, how far every day, even has reservations at every stop he could make a reservation, including RV spots for every single night along the way already!

He has even picked out every gas station (well, diesel station) where he plans to stop and fuel up.

He was showing this to us last fall at a camping rally and almost everyone there agreed that there was no way they would ever make this according to his plan.

Including many that have done similar trips!

And he assured us that they will (while his wife was in the background shaking her head).

My advice to anyone making such a long trip is this:

Pick the places you want to go...but only plan on making half of them!

Be realistic about your planning and you will have a great time.

Creating this hour-by-hour drive, stop and see intinerary creates nothing but havak and disappointment!

"Oh...I can pull that 5'ver 800-1200 miles per day!"...

True, if you (and your family members) want to end up in the ER with a bad back, or worse, a heart attack or tragic crash from exhaustion!

One flat tire or break down of the tow vehicle or RV, or human sickness or injury and now all bets are off (I've experienced this one myself)!

Trouble with big vacations like this is that most people try to squeeze in so much in what little time there really is that they really don't get to see it even though they are physically there.

And when they get home, they need another vacation to get rested up from their vacation they just got home from!

One more thing...spend $80 and get Good Sam's Roadside Assistance!

They will cover both RV and tow vehicle...most insurance companies' Roadside Assistance doesn't always cover the towed vehicle (which you don't find out about until the tow truck arrives).

Let them struggle with that flat tire on your RV...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #20

You can rent bear spray at Yellowstone, rather than paying $35 a can for it. Never saw a bear last year at YS. Fishing Bridge is OK if all you want is a place to park with full hookups. You do get free showers included in the fee. If you wanted to stay at one of the NHU cg's in the park - best bet is to call and talk with the reservation people and tell them what you have so they can get u=you in the right spot, if available. Lot of the CG's in YS are really tight, for even a small unit. Parks outside Yellowstone can get real pricey. On our way there, we stopped overnight at the West Yellowstone KOA - $89.98 a night! Way overpriced for what you get, but, most all the decent parks out of the NP are priced like that.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote