Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

snowbird parks near Corpus Christi

Hi All,
Anyone have any advice or parks in the Corpus Christi? We're planning a couple months in early 2017 in our Wildcat 31re 5'r and would appreciate comments and recommendations. Currently considering Ransom Rd., Wilderness Oaks and Ancient Oaks. Good Sam reviews look OK. Anyone spent time there or somewhere near? Love to hear comments.
Thanks BaDinNC
BADinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #2

Welcome to my neighborhood! If you're retired military, the naval air station has a decent park with all the amenities. Traffic getting on the base early in the AM and getting out mid-afternoon is an exercise in patience, however. This is also closest to downtown Corpus where there are several attractions.
If nature is your thing, head for the island and go north towards the Rockport-Fulton area. Goose Island has a pretty good park adjacent to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. There are pads available in the wooded areas as well as near the water, I believe some are pull-through. Amenities include power, water and dump stations. The area is considered a bird watcher's paradise. Rockport itself has a lot of history and a bit of Austin-style funkiness.
Let me know what kind of environment you have in mind and I might be of more help.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #3

I almost forgot! Best make your decision soon because this area fills up quickly in the wintertime and early reservations are recommended. There's also the issue of Eagle Ford Shale, which is a big petroleum operation not far away and attracted a lot of short time workers who filled up a few campgrounds, but I understand that has lessened considerably lately.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips. Ex but not retired military so am looking for regular campgrounds. Any opinions on the parks I mentioned?
Old 07-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADinNC View Post
Thanks for the tips. Ex but not retired military so am looking for regular campgrounds. Any opinions on the parks I mentioned?
Haven't actually stayed in those parks, but Ransom Road has a good reputation and is very popular with the Snowbirds. It's very clean, but also in a busy area and not isolated at all, and it's across the street from a small marina. If that's ok with you then that's what I would pick.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #6

Too cold the only warm spot in winter is the Rio Grande Valley between Harlingen Tx and Mission Tx lots of parks
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #7

If your heading down during DEC, JAN, or Feb. your not far enough south for great weather. As the last post said the RGV is the place to be, and one of the friendliest parks to be in is called Mission Bell in Mission great location, great people and a ton of things to do in and out of the park. PS vary competive pricing.
Just so fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
Dahagen

Last year I spent 3 months at the On The Beach RV park in Port Aransas. Decent price, next to the beach, and we could see the Gulf out of our front motorhome window. Spaces are a little tight, along with roads in park, but I've seen lots of parks like that. Weather a little cooler than in Phoenix, and fog not uncommon.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #9

TX

We've Stayed in Rockport the last four winters, We like staying in Rockport but if was going to stay in Aransas Pass Ransom Road RV Park would be my first choice. It's a real nice all concert park. You need to get started finding a place, the area is getting very popular and nice parks fill up quick. Good Luck
traindrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #10
Berkshire 390QS

We stayed in RGV two years ago, was cool, wet and not planning on going back for winters. Whenwe were in WACO it snowed in mid Feb. We are going to AZ this winter.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #11

RGV

I understand, have spent last 8 years there of which the first four were perfect, then the next three were wet and cold. Last year we said if it was cold again it would be our last. It turned out to be the warmest driest best year yet. At about 1/3 the price of AZ I'm going back to the RGV
Just so fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:25 AM   #12

We stay at Marina Beach RV in Port Aransas every fall. Far enough away from Corpus to be away from all the hustle and bustle, but close enough for a trip in when necessary. Very nice park and on the island. Beach is just a few blocks down the road.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:20 AM   #13

I spent my childhood near Chicago so I grew up knowing what a harsh winter could be. Of course, as a kid, I was indestructible and the cold never phased me. As I got older that changed rapidly, now serious cold is just painful.
The winters in the Texas Coastal Bend feature a very different kind of cold, much damper and quite dreary at times. Nevertheless, it never gets as bitter cold as the more northern climates. The RGV does stay a bit warmer and the environment caters to the retired set during the off (winter) season, but without the beaches I'm really not sure what else there is to offer down there.
Nothing like research...how did we survive before Google?!?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:34 AM   #14

I've been going to the RGV for 12 years now every so often there is an off winter for a short period but overall it's Great We stay at Casa Del Valle in Alamo just outside of the city of McAllen TX. won the park of the year award in 2015 not sure who won last year but the park has everything and your in the middle of the valley so it's easy to get all over.
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #15

thanks to all for the info and tips

Tags
snow