Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #1

So Cal to Zion and Yellowstone Questions

Hi,
We're planning our first long RV trip since we've received our new FR Wolf Pack 325 Pack 13. We're planning on camping in Zion for 2 days then heading to Yellowstone for 4 days, then going to Grand Tetons for another 4 days, heading back to Zion for 2 days then heading home to Southern California. My question is a lot of RV campgrounds in Yellowstone are first come first serve which don't take advance reservations. I'm a little leary because I want to make sure we get a site. Our RV is 40 feet long and I'd really like a site with full hookups since we'll be camping for a while. Has anyone had any problems getting a first come first serve spot? We really don't want to be driving around all days trying to find an available spot somewhere.

Thank you!
Ginar695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #2

There is only one campground in Yellowstone that offers full hooks (fishing Bridge) and they are closed the entire season this year. You will have no luck finding a spot in the summer that will accommodate your rig in the park based on First come first serve.

You will need to look outside the park in somewhere like Gardiner or West Yellowstone
Old 01-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #3

The first come-first served process has burned us often when driving across country. I have called friends close by the locations I wish to camp to have them "get" a spot, and will pay for two days that I'm not there is ensure a location.

However, I have been where you are going and will be there this summer also. We are staying at a campground in between the Tetons and Yellowstone in order to stay in one spot for that time. Headwaters may be your best bet right now. Reservable campsites get reserved a year in advanced out there. We have stayed at Headwaters (a mile from the Teton gate and 4 miles from Yellowstone south gate if memory serves) before, and will be there again in July. For the life of me, I can't remember where we stay in Zion...was it Bryce Zion Campground? My wife has that reservation made also.

We drive all the way from Alabama, so I'm with you on the driving all that way to find everywhere packed. I'd hate to boondock the entire time at Walmart.
2010 24’ Fleetwood Pegasus
2017 24’ Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
2015 Ram 3500 Diesel MegaCab 4X4 SRW
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #4

Fishing Bridge campground is the only FHU campground within Yellowstone NP and I think it might be closed for renovation for 2019. I like staying at Colter Bay RV park (FHU) in Grand Teton NP and driving up to Yellowstone for a day or two (summer days are long). There are nice FHU campgrounds just outside Yellowstone NP that are worth consideration. Reservations should be made when able to do so because they go fast for most of the summer.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginar695 View Post
Hi,
We're planning our first long RV trip since we've received our new FR Wolf Pack 325 Pack 13. We're planning on camping in Zion for 2 days then heading to Yellowstone for 4 days, then going to Grand Tetons for another 4 days, heading back to Zion for 2 days then heading home to Southern California. My question is a lot of RV campgrounds in Yellowstone are first come first serve which don't take advance reservations. I'm a little leary because I want to make sure we get a site. Our RV is 40 feet long and I'd really like a site with full hookups since we'll be camping for a while. Has anyone had any problems getting a first come first serve spot? We really don't want to be driving around all days trying to find an available spot somewhere.

Thank you!
Not sure what you mean by "My question is a lot of RV campgrounds in Yellowstone are first come first serve which don't take advance reservations".

All the major Yellowstone campgrounds, that mignt fit your rig, take reservations. Madison, Grant, Mammoth, Canyon. But none of those have hookups.
There's only one true RV campground with hookups in Yellowstone, is Fishing Bridge, and it's closed this year.
If you're planning on this summer, most sites in Yellowstone, may already be booked, since FB is closed.

You didn't specify when your trip is but being from California, you should be used to pre-booking campsites.
If you can dry camp, you have way more choices.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
Multi-Slacker

Try the destination KOA in West Yellowstone
Old 01-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #7

why zion twice? perhaps zion one way and bryce on the other?
Old 01-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
why zion twice? perhaps zion one way and bryce on the other?
Thanks for the tip! I didn't even think of that
Old 01-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If you can dry camp, you have way more choices.
Thank you. I've been looking and seems like everything is pretty much booked for the time we're looking at: June 14-June 28. We've only dry camped for about a week so I'll have to do some research on how to make it longer than what we've done before.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you. I've been looking and seems like everything is pretty much booked for the time we're looking at: June 14-June 28. We've only dry camped for about a week so I'll have to do some research on how to make it longer than what we've done before.
Inverter generator, 6 gallon fresh water jug, blue tote tank for gray water, inverter for charging electronic devices/tv, 2 or more deep cycle batteries.
Sorry but waiting this late for summer reservations at Yellowstone, was not good.
I'm still confused with your statement about RV campgrounds at Yellowstone, not taking reservations.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Inverter generator, 6 gallon fresh water jug, blue tote tank for gray water, inverter for charging electronic devices/tv, 2 or more deep cycle batteries.
Sorry but waiting this late for summer reservations at Yellowstone, was not good.
I'm still confused with your statement about RV campgrounds at Yellowstone, not taking reservations.
Thanks for all the tips! My statement about the RV campgrounds not taking reservations was meant to refer to the campgrounds that state they don't take advance reservations and are only first come first serve campgrounds. Meaning, you have to show up early in the morning and wait in line to see if you can get a spot.
I know now that I should have planned way earlier! We've only camped at some beaches in San Diego and haven't had too much trouble booking a few weeks ahead. And other than that, we've only drycamped in the desert.

I think I'm going to be researching some boondocking areas near the parks we want to visit and see what happens. My concern is how easy it is to get to those spots as we have a 40 foot toy hauler and my hubby's still new to maneuvering it comfortably. Our last RV was a 30 foot so this will be an experience!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for all the tips! My statement about the RV campgrounds not taking reservations was meant to refer to the campgrounds that state they don't take advance reservations and are only first come first serve campgrounds. Meaning, you have to show up early in the morning and wait in line to see if you can get a spot.
I know now that I should have planned way earlier! We've only camped at some beaches in San Diego and haven't had too much trouble booking a few weeks ahead. And other than that, we've only drycamped in the desert.

I think I'm going to be researching some boondocking areas near the parks we want to visit and see what happens. My concern is how easy it is to get to those spots as we have a 40 foot toy hauler and my hubby's still new to maneuvering it comfortably. Our last RV was a 30 foot so this will be an experience!
As far as i know, the only campgrounds in Yellowstone, that are first-come/first-serve, have no campsites for a rig of your size. They also have no hookups.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #13

if it helps we have a 42 foot 5th wheel and we have stayed at grizzly in west yellowstone, willowwind in hurricane (outside of zion), and ruby's at bryce. all had spots that could accommodate us. but as for getting reservations for those spots i can't say.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
if it helps we have a 42 foot 5th wheel and we have stayed at grizzly in west yellowstone, willowwind in hurricane (outside of zion), and ruby's at bryce. all had spots that could accommodate us. but as for getting reservations for those spots i can't say.
Thank you. I was able to book Ruby's and still waiting to hear back from WillowWind if they have spots available. Grizzly was sold out
Old 01-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #15

given the closure of Fishing Bridge this year, spots in/ Near Yellowstone with hook ups are going to be hard to find esp for that size rig
Old 01-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #16
Dr Travel

Talking Slow down

You might want to consider staying in Zion four consecutive days. Why hook-up and unhook more than you need to? Best RV park to stay in there, full hook-ups only 1/4 mile from Zion park entrance is here: https://www.zioncamp.com/locations/u...national-park/

And we stayed at this park in Island Park Idaho. We were fed up with the outrageous prices in West Yellowstone and found this place a mere 12 miles west of the west entrance. You'll pass by a couple other options on your way to Yellowstone but this was cheap, nice, and full hookups with a laundry mat with reasonable prices for that, too. Home - Valley View RV Park

You are jamming a lot into a few days. Just traveling between parks will burn up a day. If possible I'd add a week to you trip - stay put and explore more. Took us a year of full-timing to learn to slow down. Fewer parks, see more. Such a long ways to go for such a brief visit.

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #17

That's an awfully big rig for Zion! I doubt you'll get through the west entrance. We always camp in town. Driving is restricted in the park.
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Thank you. I was able to book Ruby's and still waiting to hear back from WillowWind if they have spots available. Grizzly was sold out

Try a apps called rvparksandcampgrounds and rvparky and start calling the commercial campgrounds in the area you plan to visit
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #19

We have made this kind of trip several times from Long Beach, CA. Rather than camp in Yellowstone, I would recommend you try to get a site at Colter Bay Rv Park right in Grand Teton NP. All sites are full hookups, and you can make easy day trips to Yellowstone, Jackson, and other natural sights. Grand Teton is far more scenic than Yellowstone, but you will probably see lots of wildlife in Yellowstone. Just watch out for the tourists who stop in the middle of the highway and get out of their cars to go get a photo of a bear or Bison!!

I would recommend driving to Las Vegas for your first night's stay, rather than all the way to Zion. We like Sam's Town on the east side of town. Easy drive from there to Zion.

We love Zion River RV resort very near the entrance to the park.
Full hookups right along side the Virgin River. From there, you can do easy day trips to Grand Canyon North Rim, and to Bryce and Cedar Breaks.

From Zion, you might want to travel to Vernal, UT on the way to Grand Teton. Fossil Valley RV is top-notch, and you are near the Dinosaur National Monument.

My wife and I have been RV'ing for nearly all 47 years of our marriage. We are at a certain age where we try not to stretch our days of towing to more than 350 miles per day!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 PM   #20
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
We love Zion River RV resort very near the entrance to the park.
Full hookups right along side the Virgin River. From there, you can do easy day trips to Grand Canyon North Rim, and to Bryce and Cedar Breaks.
+1